Jim
Old 03-15-2007, 07:42 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: JNorton

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

Every cut-a-way I have seen posted here is computer generated. Shouldn't be much of a problem for Saito to whip up a drawing of the 325, since it is already in their CNC computers anyway.

Ed Cregger
Hiya Ed. I looked at the casting line where the engine is cut. Sure looks real to me unless they are using some really sophisticated texturing. It looks like other cutaway motors I've seen. I'd bet it's real. Now we should have a three or four page discussion where everyone puts in their two cents.

----------------

I'm not changing my opinion just because I have a chin like Slim Pickens had. <G>

It does look like part of the picture is "real", particularly the crankcase, but the rest looks computer enhanced, at the very least. Like the colors are too even inside the engine.

I would really like to know "the truth". <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 03-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks Jim, I'm chomping at the bit to get turned loose, so I've turned myself loose somewhat, I'm going to run an engine or two this PM, I'll be back.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:45 AM
NM2K

It is great to have Hobbsy back. That was too darned close for comfort.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-15-2007, 07:53 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Hobbsy, welcome back and do take things easy for a while
Old 03-15-2007, 08:06 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For the price that Saito wants for one of those cut-aways, they must be real?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:40 AM
RC Specialties

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hobbsy,

Don't push it too hard. I almost forgot. I am going to send you the audio of the TurboHeader 1.80 flight. I think the warbird flyers will like its sound.

Jim
Old 03-15-2007, 09:37 AM
RVM

Would you send a copy to me as well?

ORIGINAL: RC Specialties

Hobbsy,

Don't push it too hard. I almost forgot. I am going to send you the audio of the TurboHeader 1.80 flight. I think the warbird flyers will like its sound.

Jim
Old 03-15-2007, 10:20 AM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

But sending em in costs time and money, and it only takes an hour to replace the bearings, or any other part in any Saito single cylinder engine, plus their fun to work on. Seems kinda silly to pay someone to have your fun for you... lol Im seriously thinkin about starting a Saito repair business here at the house just so I can work on them more. I would love to have at least one to repair every night, and drop it by the post office the next day on my way to the flying site. Now that would be a perfect world in my mind. lol
Old 03-15-2007, 10:25 AM
RC Specialties

Sure I will. It was a very windy day so forgive the extra noise.

Jim
Old 03-15-2007, 11:16 AM
DandGMartin

Hobbsy,
Great to see you back posting! It's hard to lay arround when you don't really feel bad, but I'm sure you will stay within your limits. Let us know how the engines run.
Don
Old 03-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Hobbsy

Thanks all, I'm getting back in the groove, I checked out the Saito 1.25 version of the TurboHeader'
Saito 1.25
Fuel==PowerMaster 15%/18%lube
Prop==APC 15x8
Plug=Fox Miracle
Stock muffler==rpm=8,950
TurboHeader==rpm=9,100
It's a prototype so the back half is not anodised, Jim is willing to anodise it but I said I like it that way.

PS, it sounds just like his 1.80 audio.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90930.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	642806  
Old 03-15-2007, 09:21 PM
RVM

That muffler is really impressive. I am pretty sure it's going to be my next RC purchase.

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Thanks all, I'm getting back in the groove, I checked out the Saito 1.25 version of the TurboHeader'
Saito 1.25
Fuel==PowerMaster 15%/18%lube
Prop==APC 15x8
Plug=Fox Miracle
Stock muffler==rpm=8,950
TurboHeader==rpm=9,100
It's a prototype so the back half is not anodised, Jim is willing to anodise it but I said I like it that way.

PS, it sounds just like his 1.80 audio.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Hobbsy

Robert, on inspecting your engine I discovered that the exhaust cam had a shiny mark all the way around its entire circumference. Indicating that the cam follower was riding on it all that way around. It measured .015 but it was still holding the exhaust valve off of its seat, somehow it was giving a false reading. I changed both to the Saito recommended .004 and no more problem. I haven't liked that idea of setting them closer than the factory recommendation from day one. I'll run it again tomorrow. When I ran my 1.25 today it was off a couple of hundred rpm, I was using the bottom of a jug of fuel. I got out a new gallon and it was back on par. I'll re-run yours using the new jug. Then I'll head it back your way, yours showed a 200 rpm improvement when using the TurboHeader with the baffle installed.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:29 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Hobbysy, you could claim medical benefits from breathing the nitro fumes.....glad to see you back out at the engine stand.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:27 AM
RVM

Wow thanks! Much sooner than I expected. I hope that it is helping provide a distraction from your recent health concern.

Did the Corrosion X get all that brown gunk out of the engine? Did you ever figure out what all of it was?

The cam lobe isn't worn is it?

I'll stick to the .004 and leave it at that. Once I get more fuel through it I may try to see how low I can get it adjusted, but for now I just want to get it back in the air. The reason I put it that low is that I noticed about a 200-300 RPM gain from adjusting down the valves. That is, until recently when the engine wouldn't hold any compression at all. hah!

How could the tappet clearance have measured .015 yet still be holding the valve open? Is there a part in the engine not fitting properly? Also, I don't understand how the engine slowly started losing compression when I had not touched the valve adjustment. I only tried to readjust them because the engine lost compression.

Thanks so much!

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Robert, on inspecting your engine I discovered that the exhaust cam had a shiny mark all the way around its entire circumference. Indicating that the cam follower was riding on it all that way around. It measured .015 but it was still holding the exhaust valve off of its seat, somehow it was giving a false reading. I changed both to the Saito recommended .004 and no more problem. I haven't liked that idea of setting them closer than the factory recommendation from day one. I'll run it again tomorrow. When I ran my 1.25 today it was off a couple of hundred rpm, I was using the bottom of a jug of fuel. I got out a new gallon and it was back on par. I'll re-run yours using the new jug. Then I'll head it back your way, yours showed a 200 rpm improvement when using the TurboHeader with the baffle installed.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:19 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: freeonthree

But sending em in costs time and money, and it only takes an hour to replace the bearings, or any other part in any Saito single cylinder engine, plus their fun to work on. Seems kinda silly to pay someone to have your fun for you... lol Im seriously thinkin about starting a Saito repair business here at the house just so I can work on them more. I would love to have at least one to repair every night, and drop it by the post office the next day on my way to the flying site. Now that would be a perfect world in my mind. lol

------------

I have been flying R/C and messing with engines since the Fifties (nope, not infallible) and most R/C modelers would do well to never work on their own engines. Everyone can't be good at everything - and most aren't.

I don't know the OP's abilities, so this is not a shot at them at all.

Besides, warranties have already been paid for and no one knows the engines as well as the importer's repair folks.

Like I said before, it is customary to include a few free updates from time to time. Updates that you will not be told about for fear of embarrassing the company. It happens all the time.

This discussion reminds me of the scratch/kit builders trying to talk an ARF flyer into building their own models. We have many flyers in the hobby today that are far better off flying an ARF than trying to build their own models.

Those with the necessary skills to repair their own engines (or vision, facilities, parts, etc.) would have already completed the job without posting and asking for advice. Yes, there are exceptions to every rule, but they are not as common as most folks think. Just my opinion.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-16-2007, 04:29 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger
This discussion reminds me of the scratch/kit builders trying to talk an ARF flyer into building their own models. We have many flyers in the hobby today that are far better off flying an ARF than trying to build their own models.
Ed Cregger
Now Ed would I do that? Everyone wants others to share in the fun. We sometimes forget that what is fun to one might be incomprehensible or sheer torture to another. Well put.
John
Old 03-16-2007, 08:39 AM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JNorton
We sometimes forget that what is fun to one might be incomprehensible or sheer torture to another.
John, you left out mind numbing and beyond boring.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:39 AM
freeonthree

Build a kit ? Not me ! That requires skill and artistic ability. I can barely sucessfully iron on a small patch, and not wind up with a wrinkle ! Besides, ARF's are barely more expensive than kit's, if at all, so why bother, unless ya just love building. I just got a Phoenix Models Decathlon (40 size ARF) for $119.99 and it's beautiful, and fly's great ! I put a 65 on it...
Then ya got Nitro Models with their $124.99 40 size ARF's ( Im gunna get the Pitts), and put a Saito 56 or 65 on it. At these prices, I can't justify going to all the trouble to build a darn kit ! With my covering skills, it would not be pretty... lol My Kyosho Super Stearman 40 looks like a flying scotch tape display now after flying it for almost 4 years, but it's still my favorite plane. I would have recovered it long ago, but im afraid it would only look worse than it does if I tried to pull that off. lol
Old 03-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Birman

Hobbsy or w8ye, what size Saito would you recommend for this plane. It calls for a 91 four stroke, but with the weight it may be sluggish. What do you think?

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1357.html

Thanks,
Birman
Old 03-16-2007, 08:42 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It is a little on the heavy side isn't it . . . This plane is a little on the fast side. To live up to that reputation, you should put a Saito 100 in it.

The Saito 100 and the OS 91 Surpass II have the same bolt pattern and distance from the bolts to the prop drive flange face if you are interested.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:54 PM
fxrider

I just purchased my first Saito, a 1.50. I bought it without knowing anything about it, I just think it is the best looking engine out there. Now all I need is to figure out what airplane to put it in. I like aerobatic types, Extra, Sukhoi, ect. any body have a ARF recommendation for this beauty?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:03 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

is it as pretty as the 180...fxrider? darn..they all look good to me...loL !
Old 03-16-2007, 11:10 PM
freeonthree

Im about to go nuts trying to find fuel info looking thru the posts, so im just going to ask here, and hope it hasn't been beat to death. I've been using Cool Power 15%, but have no idea what the oil content and type is. Don't say on the jug either, just 15% Nitro. Can anyone tell me what the ideal nitro content, oil type and percentage would be for the singles like 56, 65, 72, and 80 engines ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.