Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:31 AM
Reverend
My Feedback: (3)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul

ORIGINAL: The Raven

Hi All,

This question isn't directed at the radial ASP specifically, but can anyone assist with details on the rocker arm shaft E-clips that fit on the singles? I've fitted new bearings to a number of ASP/Magnum engines and discovered that a few are missing E-clips for the rocker arm shaft (which might explain at least one unexpected rod failure).

These E-clips are listed as ASP/Magnum part number 80517. Can anyone assist with details on where to source these (I'm in Australia)? Specifically, these are the 'standard' sized E-clips used (at least) on the 52 through 120 sized engines. I need at least 3 to get a few motors running again.

Assuming most of these are bought in bulk, if someone could spare a few I'd be happy to work out some form of exchange.
Raven,

just take one a go to your loacal hardwarestore with it. should b e a "cent-article".

@TOM. Looks fabulous! Really cant wait to see that Fly Baby fly

I am currenty very far away from my radials. I have some new test models for 2013 here. Starting off with the bendix special. Nice little bugger perfect for my old FS-70!

Rev
Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Carosel43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking model that bendix, YT distribute them over here.

I am also no doing much radial related stuff. my esm P39 has its engine back in, the P40 is in for winter maintenance and the Hurricane build is progressing. If the weather is good enough and the ground dry enough the Pacer is ready to fly.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom, that looks ace! how long do you think until she can fly?

@TOM. Looks fabulous! Really cant wait to see that Fly Baby fly
Thanks guys.

Well, not sure about the time frame. I keep having little set backs. Like today for example. I installed the large scale size Dubro pull-pull rudder bar. No problems, looks good. I also purchased the large size ".91 and up" Dubro adjustable control horn set for use on the elevators, but the kits are just too massive for this plane. So now I need to find other control horns. It's hard when you can't see the stuff in person and have to just order over the internet. I have a local hobby shop, but their airplane stuff is usually for small electrics.

There have been other issues too. And I have discovered that a big airplane has its own set of problems to deal with in contrast to the typical .40 size planes I have always flown. So I am taking my time as much as I can, although I am assembling in the living room on a portable table and I know the wife will reach critical mass in another couple of weeks, lol. I have put all other projects aside while I work on this, and waiting for parts to arrive in the mail has been a real stress point. Especially when they are not right and I have to order something else all over again.

My goal all along is to have it ready to fly in the Spring. I am not going to rush it. I will have to move the project out of the living room though. But with the cold weather outside I am getting a break.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Carosel43

if this is your firstlarge model the without doubt take it one step at a time. one thing i would say however is do not try and over engineer the thing. I have a friend who has stepped up from electric warbids to 90 size ic warbirds and he has created alot of problems for himself by over doing everything adding unescessary weight and complication. This has then cause a number of incidents and accidents. He was very suprised to hear how 'low spec' my servos and horns/linkages were on things like my 80'' La7 and even on my pacer with the 400 on the nose. Many of us on here have experience with larger models, so if you have any issues or questions pop up a photo and im sure we will all jump at it!

Alot depends on how you plan to fly the model, i assume floating around sounding awesome with the odd lazy roll and loop is the order of the day?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Kmot

Funny you mention that. I do have a tendency to overbuild stuff. I hope I am not over-engineering this plane. I do want to be sure though, that my radial engine is not at risk unnecessarily.

I do have a build thread going, if there is any interest:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11293390/tm.htm

I did not want to use the included servo horns, and other hardware. Looks substandard, and also for a .40 size plane not a 28% size plane. But I may have been wrong about that.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:57 AM
Reverend

Gentlemen, good news! The Dacia Sandero is coming to the U.K.... (I wonder how many get that one.)

No, really good news, I can finally say the sentence I have wanted to say at the office for ages.

"We have recieved five new heads!"

Running my bright and shiney FS400 is just two evenings of work away.

I have decided to put the mint heads on my "old" unpolished FS400 and take the "old" heads from the running radial and polish them up for the customized 400.

That means, I could actually have had the polished 400 running weeks ago

But not really a problem as I have put the time to good use finishing my current review model the Bendix Special and continued restorating my SiSt Focke wulf, the future home for my "old" FS400
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29504.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1841052  
Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 AM
Carosel43

looking forward to seeing the Fw190 Rev, also can you please grab a photo of the valve seat on the new head. I am curious to see how it looks

Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 AM
Kmot

Gentlemen, good news! The Dacia Sandero is coming to the U.K....
I had to Google it.

I hope it's better than the "Austin America" that was unleashed on us many decades ago. [:@]
Old 01-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Reverend

ORIGINAL: Carosel43

looking forward to seeing the Fw190 Rev, also can you please grab a photo of the valve seat on the new head. I am curious to see how it looks

as you wish.

First pic is that A8 monster taking up all the space in my workshop. It was quite damaged due to a landing accident but is fixed now. Now the real work starts... getting the paint off and redoing the Paintjob [&:] Will fly it first though.

Next pic is the Valve with seating. I actually disassembled that just for you...

Both intake and exhaust are perfectly sealed.

Rev

Name:	Db83896.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1841124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99993.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1841125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64207.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1841126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn33152.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1841127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb38531.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1841128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq97017.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	1841129  
Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Carosel43

Cheers Rev, those parts look to be a massive improvment compared to my engine. your heads actually have a valve seat in them, mine was just a sharp edge!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Kmot

First pic is that A8 monster taking up all the space in my workshop.
Where's the swastika?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11371154/tm.htm
Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 AM
Reverend

ORIGINAL: Kmot

First pic is that A8 monster taking up all the space in my workshop.
Where's the swastika?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11371154/tm.htm
No Swastika. I live in Austria. In the "former Axis" countries swastikas are still concidered evil and there are still a lot of people who are offended by them which I can understand.

Apart from that, putting a swastika on a scale model can get you into real juridical trouble. There was a case in Munic where a guy had swastikas on a ME-262 at a model airshow. He was taken to court for it and found guilty of using forbidden picturegrams.

Long story short: No swastika, no trouble when I fly the model in front of public at airshows.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:23 AM
Reverend

Right, changed two cylinder heads last night. 2 Evenings to completion was a bit optimistic concidering the workflow...

1. remove both keleo rings.

2. remove cylinder head from old 400

3. remove valves from cylinder head

4. replace cylinder head on old 400 with new one

5. remove cylinder head from new (aussi) 400

6. remove valves from polished head

7. replace valves from old 400 in polished head

8. replace cylinder liner in new 400

9. replace cylinder head on new 400

10. move glow plug from old cylinder head to new cylinder head

11. check compression on both radials

12. For n=1 to 5 do (go to 2)

Sorry for the mess. Spent my time doing real work and not cleaning up last night

Something else occurred to me last night. I have new liners, piston rings, cam drums, cam followers, bearings, rockers, ...

I see a break in period in front of me...

Name:	Jh15727.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1841354  
Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 AM
Carosel43

While i can understand the rules about swastika's in the former axis countries ido think its a bit stupid that they are applied to model aircraft. All we are doing is producing a mini version of a full size aircraft that flew in that period. its a snapshot out of history and there is no support for that regime implied in the model. Anyway thats just my 2 cents as they say. Over here in the England is no problem so my 109 will have a swastika on the tail.

Anyway, regarding your radial its going to be alot of work, 20 valves to remove, replace and do clearances....i know how much you love that job and it could take a week to get the keleo rings off! in any case they should both run great when finished. If you have two transmitters set one model up on each so we can have radials in stereo!

oh, and then, bring your 190 to my club in england so my La7 can have a go at shooting it down
Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 AM
Reverend

While i can understand the rules about swastika's in the former axis countries i do think its a bit stupid that they are applied to model aircraft. All we are doing is producing a mini version of a full size aircraft that flew in that period. its a snapshot out of history and there is no support for that regime implied in the model. Anyway thats just my 2 cents as they say. Over here in the England is no problem so my 109 will have a swastika on the tail.

I could point you to some threads about 5 miles long where they discuss those swastikas on model planes. I am so fed up with those endless discussions, especially when you ar at some airshow and just want to fly your plane. Like I said, no swastika, no problem.

Anyway, regarding your radial its going to be alot of work, 20 valves to remove, replace and do clearances....i know how much you love that job and it could take a week to get the keleo rings off! in any case they should both run great when finished. If you have two transmitters set one model up on each so we can have radials in stereo!
The rings come off easily when you have to take the heads off anyway. getting them on will be a bugger.

About that Stereo... I actually really have something planned for that [8D] But one transmitter and bind two rx to it. then put the engines on the two middle flap levers on my tx so I can synchronize them nicely!

LA-7 vs FW-190? hmmmm.... Lightweight ESM with laser Power vs. heavy full composite with FS400 marginal power. I think I will stay where I am :P
Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 AM
Carosel43

I wasnt intending causing any offence with my comments about swastika's so sorry if i did, as i say it was just my 2 cents.

but anyway itsgreat to hear we are going to be treated to some stereo radial action! i look forward to that, and as for the 190 while i may have a performance advantage it cannot be denied that it would be great fun chasing around the sky all afternoon!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 AM
Reverend

I wasnt intending causing any offence with my comments about swastika's so sorry if i did, as i say it was just my 2 cents.

but anyway its great to hear we are going to be treated to some stereo radial action! i look forward to that, and as for the 190 while i may have a performance advantage it cannot be denied that it would be great fun chasing around the sky all afternoon!
No offence from your side mate, I personally would be quite liberal to swastikas on scale planes too but theres just still so many people attending fly days that lost close relatives under that dreadfull regime and they are quite sensitive to the swastika. Apart from that, I checked again, and in Austria and Germany theres really a law against using swastikas, no matter where or on what.

Come to think of it, they are even deleted or edited on all pictures and drawings in my monthly german Classic Airplanes magazine.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Kmot

Was just trying to be funny. Sorry if it tingled a nerve.

Back to the FS400: I saw last night that Hobby King has spare cylinder heads in stock, as well as FS400 engines.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Carosel43

As a curiosity, could you do a finnish aircraft? as they used the same symbol but turned around :\

But, as tom says back to engines! Ialso spotted the 400's back at hk. I am really tempted to get one for my seafury thats due in a month (in theory) but as the pot of money i have for model stuff is not looking too healthy right now soi cant afford it. im going to struggle to pay for the model and may even sell it. Time well tell. also im not totally happy with using the 400 on a scale model because of the sound. In my pacer it sounds right, like a racing plane, but in a scale job...? im not so sure. i would also like to use a scale exhaust but i know that the mess it makes would just be a nightmare, so all in all im a little unsure of what i want to do. I love my 400 when it works, its just a nightmare to keep it working and thats no good for a scale model, especially when i can put a very reliable great sounding laser twin in its place the sooner we make a radial the better, then my problems will all be gone!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Reverend

Gentlmen, it is done. The engine is assembled, has very good compression and the only task before starting it is to check the clearances which I will do when I have fitted it to the airframe or the test stand.

ah, and kids, always assemble your valves in a plastic bag AND wear glasses...

ouch [:@]

Name:	Ca82519.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1841552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34662.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1841553  
Old 01-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Kmot

Wow! Close call Phillip! [X(]

the sooner we make a radial the better
Now that is a very interesting comment!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 AM
Carosel43

Ha, yes it is tom

And rev..yea i have been attacked by many valves in my time here. There are numerous dents in the ceiling from departed springs and collet retainers. you do have to be really careful. On the bright side however no harm done and the engine is alive again!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:16 AM
jaav

OK Rev, Ive lost track, which engine is this one??
Old 01-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Reverend

ORIGINAL: jaav

OK Rev, Ive lost track, which engine is this one??
Still the aussie one. The other one is sitting in a box waiting for an airframe.

Now, due to the fact, that no one pointed out my mistake in my workflow I had to take all the heads off again. Please insert a point 7a move schims from old head to new one... AAARGHL. [:@]

Well, I can finally close the book on the radial from downunder. I left the keleo off for the very first run just in case I had to tear everything down again.

Gentlemen, here is your sunday night movie

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zNOVMZYrXk[/youtube]
Old 01-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Kmot

Fabulous job Phillip! Well done!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.