Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

O.S. .61 FX Engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:21 AM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: O.S. .61 FX Engines

The OS LA 65 is a little lighter and almost as powerful and the 61 FX. I personally like the 61FX with the ball bearings but is weight is a factor go with the LA at 18 oz.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:20 PM
linkadrip

Yes i seen they call it a biplane on the box must be made in China. I bet the bluprints or instruction manual is a hoot. No its a prop driven Jet is what it should read.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:35 PM
linkadrip

ORIGINAL: proptop

Link...I picked up a few r.p.m. by rolling the lower lip of the ports on the outside of the sleeve.
I don't think aircraft engines turn enough r.p.m. to make all the other mods typically done to r/c cars engines worth while?

The tuned pipe will give ya a boost in top end at the expense of throttlability through the mid range, so it's a bad choice for 3D style flying.
I tried it a couple of times with 2 different .46's and pipes went back to a Tower/Aquacraft muffler.

Any good quality 10% nitro fuel w/ maybe a few oz. of extra Castor mixed in will work...and mine likes an O.S. #8 plug...and maybe you could use an 11 X 7 for break-in before going to the 13 X 4W for flying.
Hmmm rolling the lower lip of the ports on the outside of the sleeve, So that is taking the edge off the ports buy filing them down how is this done? Sounds intresting proptop
Old 12-18-2007, 07:45 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's basically just putting a radius on the lower edge, creating a "short side radius" instead of an almost 90 degree corner with a sharp edge. I try to come as close as I can to matching the radius of the "long" side at the top of the case's intake passage(s ).

Tools required are a Dremel, a nice 'n sharp cutting burr (I like the carbide cutters ) of 1/8" dia...either straight w/ a rounded end or "flame" shape...and a steady hand.

There are several threads around here on modifying engines...but unless you are prepared to possably damage the sleeve (one major whoops and [:@] ) and maybe have to scrap it...???
You mentioned something about working on 1:1 cars? Not knowing your background, I don't know if you have experience with a die grinder and porting/polishing cyl. heads, etc?

If you're curious, have a look in the r/c car engines forum for a modding thread...(I'll go have a look, and maybe put a link to it in here...)

Edit: I found it...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5226191/tm.htm
There are some pics that will give ya the general idea.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:14 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From my experience with die grinders, the technique is somewhat different than what they posed for the pictures.

It is best that the sleeve or the Dremel be held securely so it cannot move.

The other device must be held steady with both hands.

If you do not follow this plan, the Dremel will take off across the sleeve and embarrass and/or hurt you.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:37 PM
linkadrip

I was thinking of trying this with one of my older engines. i have quite a bit of experience with die grinders over the years mine is almost worn out have to get a new cable for it i've used it so much everyone in the hobby should have on i dont know how anyone wouldget along without one. but i most likely would mount the die grinder and hold the part sounds like a safer way. I have had the die grinder slip and go across a part. not very nice sometimes.

The sleeve and piston for the OS 61 is almost 100 bucks so i would definetly want to do it right and not mess it up. So practice on an old engine that doesnt mean much would be a better idea untill one feels confident that there going to be a good at doing it.

the link ddint work for me for some reason.
If you're curious, have a look in the r/c car engines forum for a modding thread
i found this one witch looked intresting and is the same thread apperently.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5226191/tm.htm

I'll search around and see if i can find the thread since i am curious. i have seeen people modify the cranckshaft's in the rc car engines were they polish the port in the shaft and change the shaft buy Polishing the groove at the end of the shaft to increase the flow of fuel in the engine. but havent seen anyone do such a thing to an aircraft engine.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:33 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool...having previous experience w/ such tool should make it much easier.

Actually, since you are removing such a small amount of material in each "pass", and the fact that it's Brass, makes it unnecessary to hold the sleeve or tool in a fixture. In fact, you are moving the tool and the work piece almost constantly so...
I just hold the sleeve in my left hand and the Dremel in my right, (I'm right handed ) and steady my forearms on the table...

Anyway...that's the way I do it...but hey,whatever works best for you...[8D][sm=thumbup.gif]