Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Vintage ducted fan (1975)

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Vintage ducted fan (1975)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Vintage ducted fan (1975)

ORIGINAL: byrocat

Not realy hi-jacking but a valid quesiton, considering you're working with one of Dick Sarpolus's old designs. BTW, Dick designed the Axiflo and RK series of ducted fans. You might want to call them ''generation 1'', with the Dynamax being ''generation 2'', and the current generation being the incorporation of brushless motors and lipo batteries of high-capacity and C-rating, plus lighter building techniques.

While Dick Sarpolus is a very talented designer of aircraft models, he did not design the Midwest Axiflow fans or the RK series of fans...these were designed by RK himself, Robert (Bob) Kress. Bob was a chief engineer on the F-14 Tomcat at Grumman by day, and a talented ducted fan designer in his spare time.

A more prevalent early ducted fan that you could class as generation 1 would be the Jet Hanger Hobbies Turbax II. This was the first modern fan unit that did not require tedious assembly. Bob Violett used it in his famous early A-4 Skyhawk, before he went on to the Viojett fan.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 PM
jtotten

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Vintage ducted fan (1975)

I was active inR/C in the 70's. but laid out until a couple of years ago. While cleaning out an old shelf unit, I found some a couple of NIB RCKits F100 Super Sabre (Stand Way Off Scale) , a partially build Midwest RK40 fan unit, and a NIB KIB 7.5cc Ducted fan motor. The kit specs sound heavy (7 to 7.5 lb) for 750 sq in wing. By the sound of it, if I were to build one, I might be better off with an electric fan unit. Two questions - has anyone had experience with the RC kits F100, and what modern fan units might be used to replace the RK40?
Old 10-04-2017, 07:48 PM
Don_D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Avaiojet
Duane Johnson was tremendously active in the mid 70's with fans. Creative and inventive, he designed fans made from cans and blades made of wood. He called his fan the "Jet Pump."

Remember his F-15 Eagle?

I do because I had the kit. Although great, it was a monster. It was too much kit for me at that time. I was lost. I did progress, but got frustrated, and sold it. To this day, I wish I had kept it.

I still have the construction booklet and other literature written by Duane Johnson.

Inspiration.

Thank you Duane Johnson
I still have the F-15 in the box from Model Merchant, but can not locate the plans or literature. If you can locate the construction booklet and other literature, would it be possible to copy all the material?

Thanks,
Don
Old 11-21-2020, 11:28 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a new FB Group for persons interested. Glow Power Ducted Fan Jets

Glow Powered Ducted Fan Jets | Facebook
Old 08-28-2023, 01:42 PM
spitrj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rk 20

Amigos,

Eu possuo um RK 20 e estou acreditando que o montante do motor pode estar rachado já que o mesmo está vibrando mais do que o normal. Existe alguma loja que ainda venda as partes deste ducted-fan?

Um abarço