Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Tony V.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: red1

I would like to join the Brotherhood. I have a YMF-3/5 in the box ready to start (as soon as I finish my H9 AT-6). I also have a UPF as my PC screen saver . I am a two-wing, round engine addict from way back. I really enjoy this forum. Red 1.
If you will look back at page 190, you will find the current roster (I move it up every 10 pages), where you will find that red1 is listed as Brother #71. Welcome aboard, and we all hope you enjoy yourself. There is much to be learned here. John sees to that.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Tony V.

Bill Sorry Last post..,
I am # 71, Red 1 is # 72, please ck...

Thx Tony
Old 10-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Tony V.

Bill Sorry Last post..,

Thx Tony
Old 10-10-2007, 11:07 PM
skylarkmk1

Jim,

FWIW - Those demensions listed in the photo are for the Waco YMF Super built by Waco Classic Aircraft http://www.wacoclassic.com/intro.html , the latest version of the YMF. The Original and YMF Classic have a 6" shorter fuselage. The extra length in the Super is all in the cockpit areas, 4" longer in the rear and 2" in the front. The cockpit was also widened by 4". According to the web site, there are about 300 improvements/differences between the Original/Classics and the Supers.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:20 AM
aminiet

Bill.

Please keep as posted as to the date and location, I would love to attend, I would need to know what will be the airport served by the airlines closest to the event.
I also have a high school picnic reunion scheduled for June. I hope is not the same week end.

Angel
B 58
Old 10-11-2007, 05:17 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tony V.

Bill Sorry Last post..,

Thx Tony
Tony,

Look back at page 190. The roster is there. You are #71, and red1 is 72. Did I say otherwise? If so, sorry for the confusion. That happens sometimes, when the hour is late, and I'm tired.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-11-2007, 05:18 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: aminiet

Bill.

Please keep as posted as to the date and location, I would love to attend, I would need to know what will be the airport served by the airlines closest to the event.
I also have a high school picnic reunion scheduled for June. I hope is not the same week end.

Angel
B 58

Angel,

Will do. I don't have any other information in hand other than what I posted yet. I will be receiving an information package from them shortly, and that should give us all the information on the event.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-11-2007, 05:43 AM
Jacque
My Feedback: (22)

Bill ,where is that Waco event being held ? Please keep us up to date on the details. thanks

Jacque Waco Brotherhood # 27
Old 10-11-2007, 08:19 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Bill, that's a really nice, clean installation (looks like mine). Using the stock muffler will conceal even more than mine does, since the Pitts mounts lower and you have to relieve the back edge of the cowl, plus modify the bottom of the boot cowl a bit.

I notice that you have the carb on yours attached 180 degrees from how mine is; in other words, on mine, the mixture screws face down and to the rear, and the throttle link is on the rear side, and my choke link is on the front. I'm supposing that from an operational standpoint it doesn't matter, but I can access my mixture screws through the gap between the cowl and boot cowl with a long screwdriver, and I made a tab for the choke lever that I can reach with a finger between the #4 & #5 cylinder on my dummy. The bellcrank is still necessary for the throttle linkage either way.

Is this the National Waco OWNERS Club, or the National Waco Club? John and I met the president of the National Waco Club when we were at the American Waco Club fly-in. Most of the Waco owners in the US are members of both clubs, and many attend both fly-ins (must be nice). I don't know what differences there are in the respective agendas, but the NWC usually meets at Wyncoop Airport, Mt. Vernon, Oh; this is the location of the 2008 fly-in, June 26-29. The AWC fly-in will be the weekend before that, in St. Louis at CCA (where John gets all the great pics).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68758.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	780921  
Old 10-11-2007, 08:35 AM
red1

Thank you for admitting me to the Brotherhood. I look forward to learning much from all of you. Speaking of which...I faintly recall seeing somewhere on this thread a reference to an ammended building manual, in PDF format , for the PICA YMF 3/5 with corrections and suggestions... or am I loosing it? I just passed my 75th (May 2) so it's just possible [>:]

red 1
WACO Brotherhood #71
Old 10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
skylarkmk1

Red1

The short manual (17 Pages) has been revised and posted on the House of Moy web site http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/ under revised manual and has all the updates and revisions as of the 14 May 2007. I am still working on revising the long manual (45 pages) which has more detailed, step by step instructions, but it is a much bigger project.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:31 AM
red1

John

Thank you. I guess the old noggin still works

Don Borton (aka red 1)
WACO Brotherhood #71
Old 10-11-2007, 09:57 AM
skylarkmk1

All,

Adding to Bill and Kens posts about the Fly Ins;

National Waco Club
http://www.nationalwacoclub.com/
Date: June 26-29 2008
Wynkoop Airport (6G4)

2 Miles south of Mt. Vernon, OH

American Waco Club
The web site is down (high-jacked) and should be up in a week or so.

Date; June 18-22 2008 (Confirmed today with Ruthie Coulson, News Editor (and AWC President Phil’s wife)

Fly in Location;
Creve Coeur Airport (1H0)
3127 Creve Coeur Mill Road
Maryland Heights, MO 63146
TEL: 314-434-3368

Located just West of St Louis. (20 minutes from St. Louis Int. Airport)
The Holiday Inn is about 10 minutes away and the AWC had a free shuttle service between there and CCA.
CCA is a pretty large GA airport with a 4500' concrete runway (16/34), a shorter parallel grass runway (16/34) and another grass runway at right angles (7/25). Besides the 3 Museum Hangers there are about 100 other hangers and you are likely to see almost any prop plane there. Last years Fly Inn also saw the only Dehaviland DH4 currently flying doing some demo flights as reported before, a F-51 Mustang, PT-17s, AT-6s, Travelairs and more. There was one jet, a Russian L-29 trainer, but the latest I heard it moved to a larger airfield nearby. Recent visitors have been an Albatross Seaplane and SBD Dauntless (Commemorative Air Force).

The AWC would like to have photos and a brief descrption of our models for a section in their news letter “Waco World News”. Best format for them is a 4” x 6” high quality photo sent to:

American Waco Club
28415 Springbrook Drive
Lawton, MI 49065

This address is also good for joining the AWC.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:15 AM
skylarkmk1

Angel,

The will also be the 21st Annual Biplane Expo Fly-In in Bartlesville, OK early in June, try contacting Charlie Harris at 918-622-8400 for more info on the exact date.

The schedule for the Fly-Ins is usually;

Bartlesville, OK (I think the weekend of June 7-8 2008, call to confirm)
AWC at Creve Couer Airport, Maryland Heights, MO (St. Louis) June 18-22 2008
NWC at Wynkoop Airport, Mt Vernon, OH June 26-29 2008

Three consecutive weekends of biplanes, woohooo, wish I could attend them all
Old 10-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Stickbuilder

Ken,

This is the National WACO Club, and the President is Andy. I have received e-mail from both he and Susan in the past 24 hours. This meeting would be easier for me than would the one in Illinois. Let's see what we can make happen.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Stickbuilder

I am sending Darrell (Sierra Giant Scale) part of the fuselage plan, so that they can get the dimension of the fuselage cross section, and have a working knowledge of how the model is framed up. There will, no doubt be some modification required to mount the scale gear (I'm thinking a hardwood mount, rather than an entrapping block), but I think that it is something that we are all capable of doing. I have not seen any pricing yet, but Sierra normally is well priced in the marketplace.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-11-2007, 11:21 AM
skylarkmk1

Lazyace,

Check with Bill (stickbuilder) or Jay (damifino) on the brackets. The original pieces were nylon “L” brackets and I believe they used metal brackets as replacements. Here is an excerpt from the long manual on installing the brackets in the top wing;

[ ] 39. Using [4] #2 x 3/8 screws, bolt [2] nylon “L” brackets in place so they extend downward through the notches in both W-58 PLY and W-59 PLY N-STRUT BRACES.

NOTE: The legs for the top wing “L” brackets are each about 1 inch long.

[A] 40. Glue [1] W-6E (1/8 Die-Cut), [1] W-6F PLY (1/8 Die-Cut) in position over the W-59 N-STRUT BRACE.

[A] 41. Glue [1] W-6G (1/8 Die-Cut), [1] W-6H PLY (1/8 Die-Cut) in position over the W-58 N-STRUT BRACE.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:38 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Ken,

This is the National WACO Club, and the President is Andy.
Yeah, this is the guy I met in St. Louis. He knew details about the location and condition of the YMF # NC14132 that I took my paint scheme from; the reference picture came from the NWC website, so he was familiar with it. I'd love to go to one or the other fly-ins next year, it's about the same distance to either one from my house, but I kind of lean toward the AWC at CCA, since I'm already an AWC member, get to hang out again with John (Skylark), and know my way around the airport. Plus the HARM is there; Wyncoop is a grass airfield and the aerial pic looks nice, but there doesn't seem to be as much there. It does look better for flying R/C stuff though, as there is less built up clutter. I think either place would welcome an r/c display of their full-scale toys.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: lazyace

hi all finally got the plans from AMA been working on the top wing , can't seem to find n-strut braces with notch's for brackets , or the brackets themselvs [got kit on e-bay] not all here , are you useing the brackets or other means of attachment thanks.

WB 67
I don't follow your question regarding notches for brackets. I don't use the nylon L-brackets that were supplied with the kit. I use metal L-brackets, and on this one, I'm going to pair them up, leaving enough space between them to create a double shear mount. The N-struts will mount between the double shear, using a bolt and nut arrangement. Let me clarify the mount here.... the N-strut will have a flattened bolt arrangement and will be drilled to allow for the nut and bolt to locate the ends of the N-strut. The threaded portion of the bolt will allow for adjustment of the incidence of the outer portion of the wing. I will be able to adjust incidence at all 4 mounting points of the N-strut. I have found that it is better to construct each individual part of the N-strut and do the preliminary adjustment prior to assembling the complete strut. In fact, on the one that I am building, the N-strut will not (repeat NOT) be a solid single piece once completed, but will remain a 3 piece unit, that allows for bind-free adjustment. I will go into it specificially when I begin framing the wings up.

The cabane struts will be mounted to the inner top wing in much the same manner, also allowing for incidence adjustment. This may seem a case of overkill, but once you build and fly a few of these, you will learn to appreciate being able to dial the plane in.

I hope this is not confusing to you, but be patient. It will be worth the wait, and in this case, the view is defininately worth the climb.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-11-2007, 11:54 AM
skylarkmk1

Ken,

You are correct about the display of our planes. In my talk with Ruthie, she indicated that arrangements and a place for us to have Our Models displayed would be provided if some were brought to CCA during the Fly In. This past weekend CCA held a Monocoupe Fly In and one large 1/4 scale Monocoupe model was on display.

Bill, Ken and others,

Send Ruthie a photo or 2 of your completed YMF/UMF (or other model, ie; UPF-7, GXE, etc.) with a brief description for inclusion in the AWC news letter. As Ken can attest, the members were interested in the models.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Stickbuilder

John,

How about posting Ruthie's e-mail address, or pm it to me.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-11-2007, 12:15 PM
skylarkmk1

Bill,

Wish I could, but I don't have her e-mail and the news letter e-mail is down with the web site for now. The best format for pictures for them (according to Ruthie) is a 4” x 6” high quality photo that can be scanned (for some reason, electronic photos don't work well for them or the publisher) sent to:

American Waco Club
28415 Springbrook Drive
Lawton, MI 49065
Old 10-11-2007, 01:13 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stickbuilder

Bill, Please tell us how we can help to get the landing gear should we call or email Sierra Giant. I defiantly will buy one as I need all the help I can get when it comes to landing.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:50 PM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

stickbuilder

ok I'll leave that section of the wing alone until I see your set up , I was going to use stremline struts from gtm very heavy duty , here is his site flygtm.com ck. them out you might likr what you see, click on sample planes in the fabric section you can see my fokker d-VI.

charlie AMA 8916
WACO broutherhood #67
Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Tony V.

Red 1
you are't 71 you are 72...got mixed up look on page 190..

Tony

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.