Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

I can't believe that you don't already have the truck loaded.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great thread...I just skimmed a good bit of it.

I am completing a Cox Pica 1.5 Waco YMF ARF this week, converting it to electric.

Am fixing a few of the scale sins to make it look a little better.

Can somone point me to the best available 1/5 vac formed 7 cylinder radial motor for detailing the cowl?
Old 12-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Thomas B

I am completing a Cox Pica 1.5 Waco YMF ARF this week, converting it to electric.

Can somone point me to the best available 1/5 vac formed 7 cylinder radial motor for detailing the cowl?
It's not vacuum formed, but the new one from Stan's Fibertech is very light, accurate, and nicely detailed as well. Here is a photo. By the way, it is the first ever that is correct for the YMF. Let's see some pics as you work your way through the assembly. KHodges did a wonderful job with his COX ARF YMF.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52673.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	834488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33913.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	834489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91639.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	834490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52716.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	834491  
Old 12-26-2007, 06:20 PM
skylarkmk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,

Tell Tom B how you built your faux Radial Engine, what vacumm molded cylinders, what diameter spray can for the crankcase, etc. to place inside the cowl. I know that Ken (khodges) used one of the resin molded dummy engines, but forgot which and where from.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Thomas B

Tom, I'm sorry, I misread your post. There is not to my knowledge a good 7 cylinder radial engine available for the WACO. I made this one from a hair spray can (Freeze it brand) that measures 2 5/16" OD. The cylinder mounts are made from Balsa, the pushrod tubes are 1/8" aluminum tubing, the spark plugs are from 3/32" brass tubing, the wire is from my tool box, the distributor ring is also from 1/8" aluminum tubing as are the mag wire conduits. The cylinders, heads and rocker boxes are from a Top Flight fifth scale 9 cylinder engine (vacuum formed) as is the case drain boss on the cam case. It took a little while to do, but I think that the results are worth the effort. Skylarkmk1 was kind enough to furnish the data plate (in the proper scale) and you can actually read the data found thereon. Give it a try, you might enjoy it. It's light, and looks pretty good in the cowl (if I do have to say so myself).

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Name:	Nl28893.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	834519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70773.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	834520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24362.jpg
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	834521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23645.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	834522   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10203.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	834523  
Old 12-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Garthwood

Thomas.................I posted the name of a company that makes dummy radials. Company name is WINGS MANUFACTURING
check them out.

Charles.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:45 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the cowl diameter?

Jim
Old 12-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Mainer_Jim

What is the cowl diameter?

Jim
Jim it's 8.25" at the rear opening. It's right and just like it's supposed to be.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Garthwood

Thomas.................I posted the name of a company that makes dummy radials. Company name is WINGS MANUFACTURING
check them out.

Charles.
Charles,

Do you have a link to them?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-26-2007, 08:41 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I was marveling at your imagineering, Bill, from the first time you showed me the photo of your plane cowl. I have an 11" dummy radial from one of my GeeBees made of resin, it's pretty heavy but it's very detailed, and it is for static display only. Yours is functional and light, and that's no small thing, especially considering that yours looks so great. When I build my scale Waco (of whatever size) I will likely not buy a radial engine for it, instead I'll use a good dummy facade, so I've watched yours with increasing interest. Beautiful job.

Here's where I got mine:

http://franktiano.com/scaleproductFrameset.htm

Garthwood, I'll check out wings mfg.

Jim
Old 12-26-2007, 08:47 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Charles, do you have a link to wings mfg?

Jim
Old 12-26-2007, 09:14 PM
skylarkmk1

Bill, Jim and others,

Wing Manufacturing - http://www.wingmfg.com/index.html , I think the dummy engines listed are too small.

AeroTech Models - http://www.aerotechmodels.com/index.htm , has cast, 7 cylinder engines in 8†diameter. Expensive.

Williams Brothers - http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/ , Has the best detailed engines, but no Jacobs or Continentals. Site also has some tips on making a crankcase and other detailing tips.

If you are building a Waco CTO, as the record setting, climb to altitude, NC 280W, “Question Markâ€, then you could be close with a Wm Bros Wright J-5 or Wasp engine as “Question Mark†had a Wright 975 E&F-2&3 engine

Name:	Rp42871.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	834608  
Old 12-26-2007, 10:25 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Here is the link to those tips from the Willaims Brothers website on building a crankcase, the guy did a great job. Wrong brand of radial, too bad, but a really nice job anyway, and he talks about mis-steps and solutions he found. Worth a look to get the creative juices flowing. I wonder if any of those scale detail cylinders they have there will match the WACO's engine cylinders. I put the link to their cylinder photos second, followed by the link to the list and prices.

http://www.williamsbrothersmodelprod...crankcase.html

Cylinder photos:
http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/j5.jpg

List:
http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/rc.html

Jim
Old 12-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Tony V.

Tom,
If you want a easy fix look at the pt-17 from Tower. Fits right in the arf cowl....
Old 12-26-2007, 11:03 PM
skylarkmk1

Jim,

I have looked at adopting one of the Wm Bros Cylinder and coverting it to a Jacobs or Continental, but it would be more trouble than it worth at this point. I have written to Wm Bros and both engines are on the "To Do" list but making the molds is a long and difficult process. They are also trying to bring back many of the original parts from the original Wm Bros.

There any many differences between the Wright or P & W engines when compared to the Jacobs or Continental. The head fins and Rocker arm cover are just 2 of the major differences.

P1 – The P & W Cylinder by Wms. Bros. (front view)
P2 – Close up of an actual Jacobs engine #1 Cylinder, front view
P3 - The P & W Cylinder by Wms. Bros. (side view)
P4 - Close up of an actual Jacobs engine #1 Cylinder, top side view

Name:	Mj24719.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	834714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21192.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	834715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66001.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	834716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30954.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	834717  
Old 12-27-2007, 05:49 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Bill, Jim and others,

Wing Manufacturing - http://www.wingmfg.com/index.html , I think the dummy engines listed are too small.

AeroTech Models - http://www.aerotechmodels.com/index.htm , has cast, 7 cylinder engines in 8†diameter. Expensive.

Williams Brothers - http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/ , Has the best detailed engines, but no Jacobs or Continentals. Site also has some tips on making a crankcase and other detailing tips.

If you are building a Waco CTO, as the record setting, climb to altitude, NC 280W, “Question Markâ€, then you could be close with a Wm Bros Wright J-5 or Wasp engine as “Question Mark†had a Wright 975 E&F-2&3 engine
I don't know about the rest of you, but I think that 60 bucks for a generic 7 cylinder dummy engine is just a little pricey. I have about 15 bucks tied up in mine (including buying the vacuum formed engine from which I pirated the cylinders, and a couple of sticks of aluminum tubing. Add to that a little time, and you are there. If I had bought the engine on that website, I would have still needed to spend about the same amount of time assembling the engine, and doing the detailing, and would still have a bunch more money tied up in a heavier engine. Let's not forget the fun factor either.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-27-2007, 05:53 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Mainer_Jim

I was marveling at your imagineering, Bill, from the first time you showed me the photo of your plane cowl. I have an 11" dummy radial from one of my GeeBees made of resin, it's pretty heavy but it's very detailed, and it is for static display only. Yours is functional and light, and that's no small thing, especially considering that yours looks so great. When I build my scale Waco (of whatever size) I will likely not buy a radial engine for it, instead I'll use a good dummy facade, so I've watched yours with increasing interest. Beautiful job.

Here's where I got mine:

http://franktiano.com/scaleproductFrameset.htm

Garthwood, I'll check out wings mfg.

Jim
Jim,

The cowl (white one with red blisters) is not one from Stan's. It is from an old Pica kit, and is ABS plastic. The blisters were cut out of the sheet of parts, and glued to the cowl, and the radius was done using polyester body putty. It is labor intensive, but still makes for a nice looking cowl. The latches were made from aluminum scrap, fitted to the holes that I drilled in the cowl. The parting line was done by shooting a couple of extra coats of primer over the exposed upper half of the cowl, with the bottom half being masked.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-27-2007, 06:48 AM
aminiet

Bill.

I am wondering about cooling for the engine and effect the heat from the engine will have on the plastic parts of the dummy engine.
What experience have you had with dummy engines installed. Will this be for static display only?
I don't remember reading if you are going to fly with it on.

Angel
B 58
Old 12-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Stickbuilder

You make a disk from light ply and it glues to the back of the dummy engine. Then you remove the wood from between the cylinders that you need airflow through, and access through. The baffle/dummy engine remain in place when flying. You want to control the air to the engine, and not just have a big old hole out front.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Garthwood

Bill...................Just type in WINGS MANUFACTURING. I checked it out yesterday and they're still there. Let me know.

Charles.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Garthwood

I think I only paid about $10, so I bought two of them. Fits just right in the Pica ABS cowl 1:6th. Good enough to cover all that open space. You'll need to have to trim out the ABS from the form. It comes with dowels, but I opted for the K&S 1/8 Tubing. The cut out cylinders were epoxed to the cowl. Before I expoxied them in I painted the dummy radials and fuel proofed the paint. I need to fuel proof it again as it is starting to run off when I used fuel with higher nitrometh. content. in the Saito .91s

Charles
WAC Brotherhood #87
Old 12-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Stickbuilder

I wish that Williams Brothers would come out with a scale Jacobs 7 cylinder dummy engine. That would fill the bill nicely.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-27-2007, 03:24 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi Guys,
Just a thought here, has anyone thought about blowing up the plans 150% ?? I would think that would put it at the perfect size for a 50-80cc engine. It should make it fairly easy to scale up the wood sizes accordingly. The only issue I see would be forming a new cowl and wheel pants. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about doing this??
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Stickbuilder

Anthony,

I am working on blowing one up to quarter scale. It is a little more involved than just increasing the parts. There are additional stress loads, the wing loading changes (a bunch) and the power requirements change by a higher percentage than you would imagine. Looks as if this one would need something in the 50-60 cc range. Some of the structure will need to change by quite a bit, and some can actually stay the same dimension (ribs etc). I'll get it all worked out.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Garthwood

Unless they have enough requests to make it worthwhile they won't do it. Best is to work around the problem.

Charles.

WACO Brotherhood #87

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.