Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:42 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Of course, he 's in it more than I have been, but I thought it felt extremely solid and responsive; I didn't notice any spinning rivets in front of me; but I did find the threaded end of a bolt hanging free through a small hole in the bottom wing at about where it attached to the fuselage. I showed it to Joe; he knew about it, said it didn't hold the wing on or anything, there was a lot of stuff to have to take off to get to it.

Anthony, I also got to ride in a PT-17 while I was at CCA. We flew out to a breakfast at one of the AWC members' home in an airpark community in Belleville Il, about 30 miles away. here's a couple of pics of that ride.

Notice all the WACO's in the one shot from above the grass strip?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83648.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	880165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77424.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	880166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90612.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	880167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73826.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	880168  
Old 02-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: khodges

Of course, he 's in it more than I have been, but I thought it felt extremely solid and responsive; I didn't notice any spinning rivets in front of me; but I did find the threaded end of a bolt hanging free through a small hole in the bottom wing at about where it attached to the fuselage. I showed it to Joe; he knew about it, said it didn't hold the wing on or anything, there was a lot of stuff to have to take off to get to it.

Anthony, I also got to ride in a PT-17 while I was at CCA. We flew out to a breakfast at one of the AWC members' home in an airpark community in Belleville Il, about 30 miles away. here's a couple of pics of that ride.

Notice all the WACO's in the one shot from above the grass strip?
Joe probably put it there to scare the crap out of anyone who sees it.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Old 02-16-2008, 03:55 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I'm jealous of you getting to fly in an open cockpit bipe. It's been a long time for me.
You must have been pretty young, flying around with Glenn Curtiss

All Brothers of the WACO, hear me!! I may have found a good source of small piano hinges. I had placed an order with Nelson's over 5 weeks ago, haven't heard a thing after trying 3 times to contact them by e-mail. Finally called them, got the lame excuse "you should have called sooner" when their website says they don't answer the phone at certain times; I figured the best way was e-mail. Anyway, I cancelled the order. There's a site, www.leevalley.com sells woodworking stuff, and they have small hinges. The smallest measures 9mm wide (opened flat) and the fingers are 5mm wide. They also have some 12mm and 16 mm wide, the fingers are still 5mm. This is the same size as the fingers on a large size DuBro flat nylon hinge. Take a look. there are several types of piano hinge on the site, look at the ones called "brass plate piano hinges".
Old 02-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Stickbuilder

Ken,

I never flew with Glenn Curtiss. Grandad had a few open cockpit biplanes. So there. I looked at that website, and although, I didn't find the hinges that you were speaking about, I did find another source for the Blum Cabinet door hinges that I have been having a dickens of a time getting in large lots. I'll give them a yell on Monday. Thanks for finding that one.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-16-2008, 08:22 PM
khodges

Bill, when you get to the home page, click on the tab at the page top that says "hardware", then look for hinges, then piano hinges, then brass plate piano hinges. It's fairly well buried, they have a ton of stuff on the site.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:48 PM
don c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: don c

I've been reading the blogs regularly. From the looks of things there are a lot of master builders out there. I feel like I've cheated with my 1/5 Cox. But I love the way it flies and how it looks in the air. I'd like to know some of the techniques you guys use to fly your Wacos. What aerobatics do you do? How are your takeoffs; do you use full power, and what kind of throws do you use? How about landings, do you three point or land on the wheels? I've found that Waco is a demanding airplane to fly well.
Thanks for all the responses on Waco flying techniques. I certainly learned the hard way about 3 pointing. Luckily the Cox is built like bridge. I've got a G-26 on mine. Probably a little more horsepower than it needs, but it's nice to have a reserve. I don't have a throttle curve or expo on the throttle on my Eclipse, so tickling the throttle during the flair is hard. It's easy to overcontrol.
I love flying my Waco. I've got a couple of Extra's, and they are a pleasure to fly, very stable. But to fly the Waco well is a real challenge for me. Nothing is built in. You've got to do it yourself. I haven't flown my Extra's much lately.
What is the latest on the scale gear with some shock absorbing built in? I sure would love to have one of those.
Love the full scale inputs too. I've got a video camera that I can put in the in the rear so I"ve got some neat videos flying around the field. I've got one that shows what your last seconds on earth would look like.
Ken, I sure would like to see a pic of your Waco.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:33 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: don c
Ken, I sure would like to see a pic of your Waco.
Your wish is my command; It's a bit dusty right now, this is all cleaned up. I also have a G-26, I feel it is the perfect powerplant, even if the spark plug sticks out.

Name:	Wu60612.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	880629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20301.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	880630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18584.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	880631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59693.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	880632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95860.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	880633  
Old 02-17-2008, 05:30 AM
Stickbuilder

Okay, Here is the roster to date.

WACO BROTHERHOOD MEMBERSHIP:

#1 stickbuilder
#2 Hughes500
#3 Jim Henley
#4 mmattockx
#5 CTflyboy
#6 michaelj2k
#7 Ronj10
#8 gwulle
#9 jim schroer
#10 Skinny Bob
#11 Bart5495
#12 Pimmnz
#13 HarryJ
No. 14 Old Git
#15 ChrisMH
#16 Nerevar
#17 Ricatic
#18 Clay H.
#19 Tripp2Loo
#20 KHodges
#21 Bill Hogue (WACO One)
#22 Mangolo (Waldo)
#23 av8ter
#24 yel914 (Rick)
#25 damifino
#26 skylarkmk1
#27 Jacque
#28 Edwin
#29 AROPLANE
#30 CubNut (Anthony)
#31 BQuartucy (Bob Q)
#32 AERORON
#33 funkymusic
#34 Live Wire (Larry)
#35 obo (Bob)
#36 Jackk36 (Jack)
#37 fatherrooster (Jim)
#38 Ilikebipes
#39 Kestrel0222
#40 CROWMAN17 (Marc)
#41 redcesar
#42 S. Christensen (Scott)
#43 Bill Deidrich
#44 Mike Barbee
#45 mrdhud (Dan Hudson)
#46 SoCalSal
#47 Todd (NightStalker)
#48 argon (Bob Gonzalez)
#49 mango 12 (Scott)
#50 skyjet 1
#51 ZIG
#52 Didg
#53 MarvinE255 (DOC)
#54 Joe Norris (Full Scale WACO Pilot)
#55 vasek
#56 SuperCub Man (Jim)
#57 Black Drape (Ron)
#58 aminiet (Angel Minet)
#59 Snowball
#60 doc zinger
#61 jagnweiner (Scott)
#62 Meesh (Bob)
#63 BigBoy99 (Bernie)
#64 stifts (Steve)
#65 RCWalker (Wallace)
#66 Mobyal
#67 lazyace
#68 bladerunner1955 (Don)
#69 trlambsr
#70 Big Bird (Ken)
#71 Tony V (Tony)
#72 red 1
#73 412t1 (Sean)
#74 Mr Lucky (Ben Warner)
#75 RICKSTUBBZ (Rick Stubblefield)
#76 ffdg (Fred)
#77 tomcraig
#78 Michou41a Michel
#79 Watzscale (Dick Watz)
#80 Devens
#81 msilvestro (Mark)
#82 Cheechukranch (Lewis)
#83 kruzin55 (Chris)
#84 lynchr (Ron)
#85 airplanegeek
#86 Mainer Jim
#87 Garthwood (Charles)
#88 RCBOATMANIAC (Dave)
#89 Thomas B
#90 George Werber
#91 frequent flyer (Don)
#92 adamiani Axex
#93 Kvlasblom

#100 nine o nine (Mitch Epstein)

WACO Sisterhood Roster:

S-1 Janelle (Lady Stickbuilder)
S-2 Sissy Nightstalker
S-3 Barb Barbee
S-4 LadyMango (Lynda)
S-5 BUMBLE GEE BEE (Gabi)

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

]
Old 02-17-2008, 08:05 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Bill,
One of the things that have been holding me up on airplanes is building cabinets. Here is another good source for “Blum†hinges. www.wwhardware.com Excellant delivery and service. Price was as good as I could find anywhere else.

As to small hinges for decorative things like cowls and such. I was in “Hobby Lobby†last evening browsing around for future airplane materials, Actually, I was trying to find a new 230 watt pistol type soldering iron.

Anyway, in the doll house section I found packages of miniature door hinges. So I would imagine a web search of doll house parts might turn up some interesting candidates for scale detail.

Ken,
That picture from the PT-17 looking down on the airfield of WACO’s is sweet.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Stickbuilder

I have several sources for Blum hinges. My main supplier has been absorbed by another company, and they carry another line of concealed hinges (grossly inferior) and so I needed to find another source for these hinges in various setbacks. It was good to find another supplier. What I do need is to find someone local that carries them in their inventory, and in large numbers. The average job that we turn out requires at least 60 hinges. When you use the multiplier of the number of jobs that we turn out every week, this translates into hundreds of them. I may have to become my own stocking dealer of these hinges in order to not fall behind. The down side of this is that I would need to add another person to the payroll to take care of the customers who wish to purchase supplies in small job lots. Such is the nature of doing business.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-17-2008, 09:42 AM
old git

Rick,

If you're looking in the Dolls-house areas?

ORIGINAL: RICKSTUBBZ

- - - - Anyway, in the doll house section I found packages of miniature door hinges. So I would imagine a web search of doll house parts might turn up some interesting candidates for scale detail. - - - -
Take a look for "Bohler" tools, German manufacture but rather nice. They manufacture a Rise & Fall, Tilting Sawtable, accurate anough to cut stripwood from sheet and other creations include a 3" long Belt Sander and similar Electric Planer using a pencil sharpener helical blade. I do find that good tools can be a fair substitute for absent skills.

old git - - - - aka John L.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:31 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: RICKSTUBBZ

That picture from the PT-17 looking down on the airfield of WACO’s is sweet.
These are from ground level, same field

Name:	Mk25812.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	881080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15184.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	881081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51586.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	881082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73406.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	881083  
Old 02-17-2008, 03:58 PM
corsairsanta

C'mon guys........play nice. I have a 1/5 waco ymf kit that did not expire when the house went up in smoke in '96. After reading the comments here has given me the new desire and greater appreciation of what I have. It didn't cost $300 so I feel blessed to have it....as my pension wouldn't allow that expenditure now. I had a Goldberg Cub as my first rc with a saito 80 4cy and it was a hoot! I find that everyone has to draw a line between "perfection and works" when deciding what to fly......better to fly anything then NOTHING!!!! If anyone knows who sold a P51 kit w a 96" wingspan, I need some info to do repairs on one I aquired. I will add details later as I need to move the snow (2 ft) to get a look at it right now. Yaall have a good day, and keep it upright. Bob
Old 02-17-2008, 05:09 PM
skylarkmk1

All,

I didn't fly with Joe the same day as Kenn or go to the Fly Out Breakfast, but here are a few I took on my flight with Joe. Note the traffic on the taxiway (all UPFs), the white plane is a QCF.

P1, P2 View of the Rivers
P3 Approach for a low pass
P4 View of CCA with the UPFs on the taxiway
P5 QCF below
P6 QCF over the UPFs on the Runway

Name:	Lj22128.jpg
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	881421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11763.jpg
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	881422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12840.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	881423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57501.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	881424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68905.jpg
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	881425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16231.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	881426  
Old 02-17-2008, 05:12 PM
don c

Ken, thanks for the pics of your Waco. That is one very nice looking bird. That ground level view looks like a full scale. What did you cover and paint it with? How much does it weigh? I like that you have a front 'pit. All biplanes should be two holers.
Don C
Old 02-17-2008, 05:51 PM
skylarkmk1

WE HAVE AN INDEX

The moderator (RCKen) posted the index in post #1. It is dynamic, click on the post number and you will be taken to that post. It is broken down into catagories thanks to SuperCubMan's original index and the one I had started. Thanks also to CTFlyboy for putting me in contact with RCKen who gave me the info to convert it. Have fun.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

WE HAVE AN INDEX

The moderator (RCKen) posted the index in post #1. It is dynamic, click on the post number and you will be taken to that post. It is broken down into catagories thanks to SuperCubMan's original index and the one I had started. Thanks also to CTFlyboy for putting me in contact with RCKen who gave me the info to convert it. Have fun.
How in the world did that guy get involved with our thread?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-17-2008, 09:42 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

WE HAVE AN INDEX

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Bill,
I got involved when skylarkmk1 contacted me and asked for my assistance in creating a clickable index for your thread (as I have done for other forums on RCU in the past). I worked with John to create this index to better help the members of your thread access the information contained in the forum. As he was a member of this group here I took it that he was working to help improve the Waco YMF thread. Since you have made it known that you don't want the index in place I have removed it from the thread.

Ken
Old 02-17-2008, 09:43 PM
khodges

Don, although it is technically an ARF, the only thing "ARFbuilt" remaining on the plane is the basic fuse and wing framework. It is covered in Koverall, with a doped fill and Rustoleum primer, and Krylon paint. It has a G-26 up front, the radio system is Spektrum 2.4 GHz. It has a smoke system, but I think I burned up the control module. Landing gear and tailwheel are custom made. I added the front cockpit; the baggage compartment behind the rear 'pit is functional, and the Rx and smoke battery switches are inside. I converted the ailerons to top-hinging, and did all the metal panel and rivet/screw details, and added the fuel tank covers to the top wing. Some of the details are from the YMF Super, such as the counterbalanced rudder. The paint scheme came from a picture from the 'net. All-up weight is a tad over 18 pounds. I have about 15 flights on her, and have repaired broken wingtips 3 times from bounced landings. One of these days I'll figure it out (how to land consistently)
Old 02-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: RCKen

WE HAVE AN INDEX

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Bill,
I got involved when skylarkmk1 contacted me and asked for my assistance in creating a clickable index for your thread (as I have done for other forums on RCU in the past). I worked with John to create this index to better help the members of your thread access the information contained in the forum. As he was a member of this group here I took it that he was working to help improve the Waco YMF thread. Since you have made it known that you don't want the index in place I have removed it from the thread.

Ken
Please read my PM to you. It has nothing to do with me not wanting an index, but rather is a personal matter between the two of us. This thread is not the place for us to air our differences. Please restore the Index, and reserve comment for a PM or an e-mail.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-18-2008, 12:00 AM
skylarkmk1

Bill,

I asked him to post it.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:07 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry for the confusion guys. The index has been replaced.

Let me know if there is ever anything else I can do to help out.

Ken
Old 02-18-2008, 12:52 AM
RCBOATMANIAC

ORIGINAL: RCKen

WE HAVE AN INDEX

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Bill,

Ken
Please read my PM to you. It has nothing to do with me not wanting an index, but rather is a personal matter between the two of us. This thread is not the place for us to air our differences. Please restore the Index, and reserve comment for a PM or an e-mail.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
So the index is here to stay, I was looking through it earlier and it really does help answer a lot of questions, and point you in the right direction for certain items as (dummy engines, aileron corrugation, and to pick up on ideas on other peoples build) this was a really good idea and a lot of work really went into. [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-18-2008, 02:17 AM
RCBOATMANIAC

Well people some times wonder is Waco Brother 88 ever going to get started on his planes. Well after my kit being attacked by gremlins, and missing all W-1, W-2, and W-3's, I have started and after a couple of painful attempts of coming up with the center ribs for the top wing I have it built not to bad so far. Here is a couple of pic's to look at. Granted the outer ribs are just framed up I just haven't glued them yet.

Name:	Ki20327.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	881907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42372.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	881908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64019.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	881909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68302.jpg
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	881910  
Old 02-18-2008, 06:04 AM
Stickbuilder

To: All,

I have no problem at all with this thread having an Index. In fact, I think it's a great idea, and we probably should have had one a long time ago. John, thank you for making this happen.

I have had a long running series of differences with that Moderator, which stems from several run-ins that have occurred in a different thread. We (the Brotherhood) have one of the largest threads in the RC Universe, and this thread has never been moderated. It was purely a personal issue between this Gentleman and myself, and should not have washed over into the YMF thread.

I apologize for showing my Ass here, and will try not to let it happen again.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.