Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

help with the topflite dc3 construction

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 12:57 AM
seagul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with the topflite dc3 construction

well ive reached the point where i have to join the two outer wing sections to th center section. any help with this would be great. Cant seem to get the spars and webbing to match at the right angle for the dihedral and sweep back with the leading and trailing edges all lined up. Any ideas???
Old 10-29-2006, 12:27 PM
n1toga

Default RE: help with the topflite dc3 construction

I think that you built it wrong... take a look at the manual on the section on building the wings.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:53 AM
seagul

thanks n1toga looks like some realy high on I Q guys on this site so let me rephrase cant seem to locate all the parts needed to join the wing outer section to the center section and to line it all up. here goes again
Old 10-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We're not sure what the difficulty may be. When assembled per the plans, the wing sections don't have any particular difficulty at the center-to-tip panel joints. You may need to carefully go over your components to see what may be causing the tip panels to not align properly with the center panel.

Please check each against the plans. You should be able to see what the difficulty may be.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:57 AM
seagul

the problem is that the joint is not shown very clearly on the plans hence any pics if possible showing the wing joint with the first outer wing panel rib and spars mating with the center section wing spars and webbing would greatly help. thanks for the response.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:25 PM
Bax

The only pictures available would be those in the instruction book. Between those and the plans, you have plenty of information to get the wing assembled.

When you fit wing panels together, you usually have to do some trimming and sanding to get things to butt together correctly. If the ribs are not glued-in at the proper angles, you can get gaps between the ribs that join together. You may have to cut them free and re-glue. You also have to sand the spars, and leading and trailing edge pieces, to the proper dihedral angles so that they butt together smoothly. You must have absolutely no gaps between the pieces that meet at the joint.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Livingdeadfish

Im at this same step with a simalur problem
on the print "the diecut 1/8 balsa inner te spar" where it says cut here, is 3/32 differnt from the right an left wing part. hense the 1/8 ply te joiner is 3/32 too long on the right wing panel.
do i just shorten the right 1/8 ply te joiner, or am i missing something here?

thanks dave
Old 09-01-2008, 09:02 PM
thisoldman
My Feedback: (29)

has anyone built the dc3 so you can take the wings apart.. like 3 sections. the outer fasten to the center section. Im in the process of building one now. Thinking about making my wings in 3 sections
Old 09-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Bax

ORIGINAL: thisoldman

has anyone built the dc3 so you can take the wings apart.. like 3 sections. the outer fasten to the center section. Im in the process of building one now. Thinking about making my wings in 3 sections
We've not heard of this. You can look through the different build threads to see how people build wings that come apart. Really, you'll basically need to make a pocket in one wing panel that will accept a tube-type or blade-type of wing joiner, along with a way to prevent the wing panels from vibrating apart. See some glider builds to get an idea how it's done.