Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Helimax problem response

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Helimax problem response

Old 03-12-2007, 05:13 PM
jw637362
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helimax problem response

Hello, I have been reading alot about the problems people are having with the Speed contoller that comes with the Helimax 400 Pro.
It seems that it has a Hard Start problem and people are experiencing the same problems with this "Hard Start" blowing out the One Way bearing on the main shaft prematurely.

I have now experienced the same problem with my Helimax MX400 Pro. I have been going through the blade tracking procedures and the bearing started to slip, I took a trip down to my LHS and mentioned it to them and they stated that they have not heard about any problems related to this. But they stated that I needed to get in contact with Helimax / Great Planes and make them aware of the issue in case they did not know of it.

I came back home and sent this email.

I purchased the HeliMax 400 Pro from Action R/C
Aircraft Center in Lakewood Colorado three weeks ago.
As you know, this includes the Helimax - HMXM3000
brushless speed controller. I have found that this
Speedcontrol unit starts the Motor - main shaft rotor
too abruptly and is causing my main shaft one way
bearing too fail prematurely. Without a soft start or
governor installed on the speed control. It is
insufficient too use.
I have not had the helicopter in the air yet but am
on my second main shaft one-way beaing install.

I have been told by my local hobby store that I need
to purchase a Castle Creations speed controller that
has a soft start programmed in.
This defeats the purpose of purchasing the MX400 Pro
with Brushless system initially.
Please advise on this as I should not be needing to
keep replacing this bearing and it will cause a
premature autorotation and crash.

Thank you,
Jeff walker

The response from them was this -

Hello, Thanks for your email.

Unfortunately, that esc does have a hard start and there is no way to
dial this out.
The Castle Creations is a good esc and can dial out that hard start.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not
hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy
all previous emails into any future questions.) You can also reach our
product support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at
217-398-7721.

DID YOU KNOW that our web pages now all contain FAQs? (Frequently asked
questions) Please drop by and take a look! We hope you'll find the
information helpful and valuable to you.

Thanks Again,

Rich A.
Product Support

So from what I gather, They are aware of the Hard statrt issue, have not notified any hobby stores of this issue, and do not want to remedy this issue but actually agreed that I need to purchase another aftermarket speed controller because the one they sell is not sufficient.

Just thought this was odd and if you can shed any light on the issue, Please feel free as I will pursue this further.

Thank you, Jeff

Old 03-12-2007, 05:27 PM
whattheheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helimax problem response

are you sure you have your esc set to soft start ? i have same setup and i have flew mine with no problem yet ! "knock on wood !!!" mine starts just a little hard bot not so hard as to damage parts ! i would move motor away from main gear so that main blades do not turn and go threw esc setup again !and watch the pinion on the start you will see the dif
nce
Old 03-12-2007, 06:48 PM
jw637362

whattheheli - I am glad yours is fine.

This speed controller does not have a soft start program at least that I am aware of. Please Enlighten us on this and you can save some people some dough in One way bearings.

Quote from Helimax - " That esc does have a hard start and there is no way to dial this out. "

The only thing I do is click the throttle one click at a time till it kicks on. It seems to work that way.

I actually heard about this problem from someone else on my other thread "MX400 Purchase" then it happened to me.
Just thought the response was interesting from Helimax as it is a known problem.

Jeff
Old 03-12-2007, 07:44 PM
gmrviper
My Feedback: (19)

Boy they just not willing to help ya at all are they. I have the same copter that i just got together , but i havent had the problem you are having. At the very least they should offer you a new esc , just to make sure its functioning properly. Good luck
Old 03-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Heliko

Honestly JW I don't know why your surprised. In your other thread a few people commented about the hard starting speed control and had replaced them. I commented on Helimax as well, and like I said though there products are pretty well made, but their product support leaves alot to be desired. I was speaking from experience. They don't seem to know their products very well and their not very accommidating. Anyway I hope you get it sorted out. Your probably have to bite the bullet and get a better controller though.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:06 PM
jw637362

Heliko - Not surprised at the fact that it is damaging due to the Hard start. As a matter of fact I was kind of expecting it from yours and others responses. I am actually thankful that you stated the facts prior so I was aware of what was going on when it went out as others stated as well. I am surprised at Helimax's lack of knowledge when in actuality, they do know there product and are well aware that it is insufficient and I should upgrade it.
Faulty products need to be addressed with the manufacturer and remedies should be made to rectify the problem.

This was merely an attempt at a clarification with Helimax about the " Common" bearing problem due to the speed control. I have also found out how it gets very hot, but whatever, My wife just asked me how much a new speed controller would cost, so I am going to upgrade it to a Castle anyway.
Poor customer service, not sure about that but definatley a strange response too admit you have a poor product that was just purchased and to buy someone elses product to remedy the situation[&o]

gmrviper - Not as much a new speed controller but at least a "we are aware of the issue and are putting in a recall notice or sorry for the inconvenience, here is a new heli................" Just kidding

I won't sweat this too much as others have honestly stated, Still a blast, just a work in progress.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Heliko

Jim I think we're on the same page. The Hobbico people were nice to me and they eventually sent the replacement parts I needed, but they lack intimate knowledge of their products. The helis must be made somewhere else, somewhere far away so many of these products are as new to them as they are to us. I have heard they've replaced the Axe CP servos with better units so they're trying. I don't begrudge them I'm just sharing my experiences. I agree it is odd they'd admit to their own products inferiority and further agree on a recommendation of a controller from another company. WOW! [X(] Anyway good luck with the new controller. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-13-2007, 06:09 PM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

JW....Mine does the same thing no matter what mode I put it in. Its really a cheap
bottom of line ESC as far as I can tell.

I switched to an Eflite controller and it was much smoother but the Eflite ESC did
not have long enough leads on it and I couldn't mount it on the side so I'm using
the Heli-Max ESC until I can go down and get a better one.

I think the way Hobbico is stone-walling you is going to hurt them in the long run
because a lot of people read these threads.

Other than that, its a great little heli....so far.

Bob

PS: I email Hobbico yesterday about the problem and I got the same response as you did.
They told me to go buy a better controller.

Bob