Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

MX450 XS Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

MX450 XS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:09 AM
[]TEX[]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MX450 XS Discussion Thread

Hey guys, I didn't see a discussion thread on this heli so I figured I get one started so we can talk about them and sometimes complain about them.

I love mine, flies like a dream. I am extremely happy although it was tough to set up, but it was worth it. I have the MX400 as well and the 450 is my fav so far.

Here is a tuning site that has been helpful.

http://www.x400tuning.com/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60027.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	648708  
Old 03-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Ace9

Default RE: MX450 XS Discussion Thread

Looks really good. What make and model number of servo's and receiver are you running?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:02 AM
sammy64

Looks good. I'm in the process of painting mine right now .. its built but have not flown it yet .. I have the Suggested motor, but installed a Align 35A ESC and have programed it.. I have spun it up and Man what a difference then like a AxeCP with a tail motor.. I still fly the AXE but have put in a lot of time building the new 450XS .. Just waiting for the Gyro and Gyro stand to get here .. hopefully Monday Will post Pics asap
Old 03-24-2007, 11:06 AM
rollingball

I'm in the the process of building one [sm=teeth_smile.gif] The quality of the construction of the parts set a new standard for me [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-24-2007, 12:36 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: Ace9

Looks really good. What make and model number of servo's and receiver are you running?
I installed the recomended Futaba 6EXH w/3107 sevros.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:39 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: sammy64

Looks good. I'm in the process of painting mine right now .. its built but have not flown it yet .. I have the Suggested motor, but installed a Align 35A ESC and have programed it.. I have spun it up and Man what a difference then like a AxeCP with a tail motor.. I still fly the AXE but have put in a lot of time building the new 450XS .. Just waiting for the Gyro and Gyro stand to get here .. hopefully Monday Will post Pics asap
Ya, there is a big difference.

I have new issues though, I can't seem to keep a constant blade track. I'll set it and spin it up seems ok. Spin it up again and it's off.

It's frustrating since the blades are balanced. I checked the head for play and everything seems ok. I took a set of calipers and notice that one of the blad grips is almost 1mmout than the other. With the blades on I suppose this would be a bigger issue.

The other problem I am having is the ball links crack and then have to be replaced.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:56 PM
[]TEX[]

I think I found the issue. I just need to regear down to get the correct head speed.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:31 PM
osterizer

Tex-- are you putting the links on with the dot marking facing out? They break pretty regularly, anyway, but they are directional, and they break more often backwards. Speaking from experience here .
Old 03-24-2007, 02:34 PM
[]TEX[]

Ya, I just realized they only go on one way. I wish Helimax would put that in the manual.

I had extras though...
Old 03-24-2007, 03:25 PM
osterizer

Did I mention experience? first parts I ordered were another 20 links and a couple bags of screws!
Old 03-24-2007, 04:20 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: osterizer

Did I mention experience? first parts I ordered were another 20 links and a couple bags of screws!
LOL, I hear ya
Old 03-24-2007, 11:16 PM
[]TEX[]

After getting my heli's head speed to around 2800 it's tracking ok. It's not going to be perfect, but dang close.

I found that it's easier to find the tracking point when the pitch is just about 1 deg positive, they really track well if you have it set right.

BLADES: I went through 3 sets of blades the third set were some 325mm pro wood blades from Align. They balanced out perfectly without adding tape. The stock set were too far out of balance and the Helimax CF blades were also too far out of balance to get them right.

If you have alot of tape on one of your blades think about getting some new ones.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:47 PM
osterizer

Absolutely-- that's why I tossed the stock ones. I really like tha MAHs I just put on-- I get about three minutes more flight time than the stockers, though that may be just because the stock ones had approx 2.7 kg of tape on them. [sm=devious.gif]

Re: the HeliMax carbons, are you talking about the ones with the diagonal transparent stripe near the root? I got a pair of those, too, since I was looking around, and they came with 2mm bushings in the root hinges-- not a chance of fitting on the 450. Did I get a bad pair or are they meant for the 400?

(btw, hope you don't mind me joking about the crash pic ).
Old 03-25-2007, 12:10 AM
[]TEX[]

Absolutely-- that's why I tossed the stock ones. I really like tha MAHs I just put on-- I get about three minutes more flight time than the stockers, though that may be just because the stock ones had approx 2.7 kg of tape on them. [sm=devious.gif]

Re: the HeliMax carbons, are you talking about the ones with the diagonal transparent stripe near the root? I got a pair of those, too, since I was looking around, and they came with 2mm bushings in the root hinges-- not a chance of fitting on the 450. Did I get a bad pair or are they meant for the 400?

(btw, hope you don't mind me joking about the crash pic ).
WHich crash pic? The Blade CP? I think that was on another thread....that was my "basher" heli.[>:]

I got the unpainted CF blades, they were way out of balance and the stock fiberglass blades were just as bad.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:13 AM
[]TEX[]

Oh an what is up with finding pinion gears for these motors? Both the suggested moter and the Align 430L have 3.2mm shafts. All the pinion gears are for 2.3mm shafts. I doubt you could press a gear onto a shaft with 1mm difference.

Even Align gears are 2.3mm.[]
Old 03-25-2007, 12:28 AM
osterizer

Yes, the Blade. I wrecked mine TWICE today when the tail kicked out-- $%^& motor was whacked but I didn't figure it out until the second time. Sure was fun 'til then.

Re the pinions, mine came with two pinions, one 2.3MM, and one 3.2MM, both 14T. The 3.2 I think they threw in to fit the GP motor that they recommend on the box.

BUT... neither the manual nor the HM Web site list the 3.2 pinion, only the 2.3s. Goofy. I have to email them anyway about the blades, I'll ask about that at the same time.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:39 AM
[]TEX[]

Yes, the Blade. I wrecked mine TWICE today when the tail kicked out-- $%^& motor was whacked but I didn't figure it out until the second time. Sure was fun 'til then.

Re the pinions, mine came with two pinions, one 2.3MM, and one 3.2MM, both 14T. The 3.2 I think they threw in to fit the GP motor that they recommend on the box.

BUT... neither the manual nor the HM Web site list the 3.2 pinion, only the 2.3s. Goofy. I have to email them anyway about the blades, I'll ask about that at the same time.
Ok, sounds good, let us know how that goes. Ya, I got those gears too, but 14T is way too much.

In the mean time I found this.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTG41&P=ML
Old 03-25-2007, 01:21 AM
rabidbandit

I'm definately in love with my 450XS...decided to go with the Spektrum DX7 with Futaba 3107's and a 401 for the gyro. Also used the recommended brushless and LiPo's. Spent some time checking link lengths and blade balance. The links I measured with a digital caliper and got them almost perfect...the blades were pretty close...not enought vibe to notice. The blades track true and used a tach to set the head speed. My ESC is a Castle Creations 35 and set the gov. with the phoenix link. I'm very pleased with the kit. The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the tail pitch slider. The bushing seems to bind alittle at first....cycling it a bunch of times and it seemed to do the trick. If it gives me problems...I can always swap to the T-Rex tail. Looks sharp...I suck at air brushing...so I guess it'll be white for awhile until I find someone with some skills I to have the Axe CP...def need a head hold...constantly correcting/trimming the tail gets old. Hell...I'm still runnin' NIMH's...flight time is short but it does the trick in the living room. Well, just my two cents....thanks, Chris
Old 03-25-2007, 01:40 AM
osterizer

ORIGINAL: []TEX[]

Ok, sounds good, let us know how that goes. Ya, I got those gears too, but 14T is way too much.

In the mean time I found this.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTG41&P=ML
Understand. With the 2700 Ammo, MAH blades, and 20C 2100 battery I'm turning exactly 3000 RPM with the 14T-- the holy grail as far as I'm concerned. If you're using (for example) a 3550 Align 430BL then you could get up to 3900 all else being equal. More like a 10 or thereabouts would seem right.

I like the idea of steel pinions but I've never used one. The brass ones seem to get ratty pretty quickly (75 flights or so) and start eating the drive gear so finding a good steel would make my day. If you try this one out, please let us know how it goes.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:44 AM
osterizer

Good to hear from you, Chris. I had the same problem with the tail slider, but a little oil seems to have it working OK for now. I don't think the tail is the best part of the MX450, so I might swap it for something smoother, too.

After an AXE (or a Blade CP Pro, in my case), the MX is a breath of fresh air, isn't it? I kind-of like mine, too.

Happy skies.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:22 AM
rollingball

You asked for it and here it is a site for pinions and as far as I can tell there not brass, and from bits and pieces from other sites there 0.5 Module:
http://www.ikarus-modellbau.de/onlin...c90f8.87942549
Old 03-25-2007, 09:52 AM
r/cheliman

Hey tex This is r/cheliman from the axe cp thread. Just wondering how the mx 400 is treating you.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:06 AM
[]TEX[]

Understand. With the 2700 Ammo, MAH blades, and 20C 2100 battery I'm turning exactly 3000 RPM with the 14T-- the holy grail as far as I'm concerned. If you're using (for example) a 3550 Align 430BL then you could get up to 3900 all else being equal. More like a 10 or thereabouts would seem right.

I like the idea of steel pinions but I've never used one. The brass ones seem to get ratty pretty quickly (75 flights or so) and start eating the drive gear so finding a good steel would make my day. If you try this one out, please let us know how it goes.
I plan to order that gear since it is an Electrifly it should mesh up pretty good. I tried a pinion from one of my cars sicen they have same pitch. They work, but are very noisy since the tetth are not shaped correctly at the tip. I am using an 11T right now that I drilled out. Seems to be close, but I am hoping the 12T will mesh up nice and I'll set the govener on the ESC.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:08 AM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: r/cheliman

Hey tex This is r/cheliman from the axe cp thread. Just wondering how the mx 400 is treating you.
I have the 400 and 450, they are both very nice and well worth the money. I am currently using the 400 as a parts donor.

How's your Axe? I think this would be a great next step when you are ready.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:09 AM
[]TEX[]

Here's a video of the maiden flight.

http://media.putfile.com/MX450-XS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.