Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage SS .25

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Savage SS .25

HPI stickers, http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go
Old 05-28-2006, 08:42 AM

Glad to hear that. Your running the stock .25 right? I caught your thread in hoping to find answers as well, I have the original .21 savage that I built from a kit form, but I am running a 3 speed and a collari .32 with a r&r steel spur set up 49/14, and was wondering if any one had a chance to try this gearing. All the way Savage addict!!
Old 05-28-2006, 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: f150dan
I stripped the steering servo today. Its a Hitec 645MG servo. When I got the truck it was already installed along with a purple aluminum bellcrank system, but it was running a regular servo horn and no servo saver. Should I put a servo saver on it? Whats a good steering servo upgrade. I would like to have more torque then the Hitec 645MG. I though about getting a digital servo for it, but I've heard you need something special to run them. Right now I have a Reedy reciever pack and a JR XS3 radio. What else would I need for a digital servo? Whats a good regular servo?
That bellcrank system is the newer cam type servo saver(or at least that's what it sounds like you have), and you are supposed to run a regular servo horn on it. Check the adjuster nut and see how tight it is. Halfway is a good starting point. If it's too tight it will basically eliminate the saver function and you will strip servos over and over. The lower priced Hitec servos strip easy anyway.
The only thing you need to do for a digital servo is to set your end points, and that is easy with that JR radio that you have. I'm running both of the servos that you are thinking about and they are awesome. The 590 could be a little faster for the throttle/brakes, but the 9000T is a perfect match for the truck in my opinion. That high torque monster does have a healthy appetite though, and it kills the batteries even faster if you don't have it setup perfectly.

I prefer a digital servo, but if you want to run a regular analog unit then look to the Airtronics lineup. They have a few that are 200oz with a .10 transit time. Very fast and really high quality....but they aren't any cheaper than the JR Z9000T and they have a couple that are even more expensive.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: savagenitrosmoker

Glad to hear that. Your running the stock .25 right? I caught your thread in hoping to find answers as well, I have the original .21 savage that I built from a kit form, but I am running a 3 speed and a collari .32 with a r&r steel spur set up 49/14, and was wondering if any one had a chance to try this gearing. All the way Savage addict!!
A three speed, a Collari .32, and 14/49 gearing?.... You like wheelies huh?

You're robbing yourself of sooooo much performance. Throw a set of 17/49 in there and I bet you would be a whole lot happier. You could even run up to a 18/47 and you should still be able to do massive wheelies depending on the rest of the setup.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:20 AM

well actually I want to get off the line like a shotgun, since the guy at work claims his 3.3 is much quicker than my truck, but they compared the savage x with the 3.3 maxx. He doesnt get it. So stay with the 47 huh? What will the 3 speeds act like, since there are no modded gear changes for these?
Old 05-28-2006, 12:13 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Graverobber, your sticker link doesn't work for me. I saw the HPI logo stickers on there, but I"m wanting some that say Savage SS. Is that what your link is for?

Chronic, I don't know who makes it but the purple aluminum bellcrank I have doesn't have a servo saver built into it at all. Its just all aluminum and works well, but I had to had a saver to it this time.

savagenitrosmoker, yea I'm running the stock S-25 for now. I plan to upgrade to a SH.28 or LRP .28 soon though. It sounds like you have a monster on your hands. That much power and a 3 speed must be awesome. I would definately gear it up like chronic suggested though. You should still be able to waste a Revo.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:18 PM

Heehee, thanks for the boost of confidence f150dan. Ive put alot of money and time in this beast over the past 2 years, never ran it though , getting close to being finished though, cant wait!!
Old 05-28-2006, 12:20 PM

Even with 17/49 and 6.5" tires, mine plants the wheelie bar if you nail it in second gear. That Collari should have enough oomph to rapidly pull 17/49 with no problems. Even though the 14/49 works out to quicker acceleration on paper, the taller ratio will allow you to put the power down better and should make the truck faster. I'm sure that right now you have so much torque mutiplication in first gear that half throttle is violently throwing the nose towards the sky, and that is just a waste.

14/49 is really deep gearing even with the two speed. That combined with the 10% lower first gear in the three speed and all of that torque has to be practically useless for anything but playing around in the yard.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:28 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I am running 49/18 on my K4.6 and seem to work well. I am thinking about going down on the CB as I am running on a small tight track. I know it is not a very hot engine but on the track I am running on I think a better engine would not help much if any.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:00 PM

Chronic, I don't know who makes it but the purple aluminum bellcrank I have doesn't have a servo saver built into it at all. Its just all aluminum and works well, but I had to had a saver to it this time.
Oh okay... then I would recommend just getting the stock HPI cam type saver setup that comes stock on the later models. Replace the plastic bushings that come in it with some 6x10x3 bearings and you will have the best setup going.

Cherolet has their Super Sport (SS) designations that they have used on numerous cars throughout the years. Those SS stickers can be found in many different styles and fonts. If you don't find the HPI ones you might want to look to the automotive aftermarket for something close.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:00 PM
My Feedback: (12)

you can de-anodize it with oven cleaner

Well, I just recieved the truck today. It had a stripped spur when I got it. It was a 49t. The LHS didn't have one so I bought a 47t and a 52t for it. I will get one of those installed tonight and hopefully take it for a test run tomorrow. I did fire it up just to see how the motor ran. It still has great compression. I noticed it had the HPI silver ribbed pipe on it and when I fired it up it was very loud. Almost too loud. I see what you mean now. I'm gonna check into that SH pipe you are talking about.

This truck also has alot of purple aluminum upgrades on it. I'm gonna have to get rid of that. I'm wanting a blue/silver look on this truck. I couldn't see in the pics, but once I got it the truck has a full bottom skid plate and integy aluminum wheelie bar on it.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:02 PM

Yea, I might try to design some on the computer and get one of my buddies to print them off for me. I wonder how well regular automotive vinyl stickers will work on a RC body?
Old 05-28-2006, 02:03 PM

ORIGINAL: savageman90

you can de-anodize it with oven cleaner
Yea, I thought about that. And a will do a few parts like that to turn them silver. But there are some parts that I just want them blue.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:44 PM

I had the truck out today and ran 3 tanks through it. Everything worked awesome, but I had 2 rod ends pop off the ball studs on me during various accidents. Whats a good upgrade to keep this from happening?
Old 05-28-2006, 07:57 PM

I run 4/4o threaded rods from the bulk head through the rear plate untill I get my bracket made at my gramps shop!!
Old 05-28-2006, 08:02 PM

I wish my buddy (a.k.a Camera Man) would have been over here today. Me and a few buddies set up a ramp today for the ole Savage. I wanted to see just how tough this truck was.

Well, I make about 2 dozen jumps with it. Most of them were 9-10ft high and 25-30ft out. The longest jump was right at 12ft high and 37.5ft long (Confirmed with a measuring tape). I also made a few sucessful frontflips and backflips. This truck is the easiest truck to handle in the air that I've ever had. I've made a few pretty big jumps with my Stampede, but it didn't have the control in the air that this truck has. It wouldn't jump as far either.

I ended up stripping another spur gear though. That was because of my last backflip attemp when I landed at WOT one too many times. I also bent the heck out of the stock roll bar and ripped the foam on my MS air filter. O well, back to the LHS. I will definately have a vid soon.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:07 PM

Picture is bad too dark inside, but this is my beast!! I am open to ideas, thanks for looking.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:38 PM

looks good man. How do you like those Losi shocks? Is it a worth while mod?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:43 PM

Yes. I have gone through the integy piggy backs, hpi after market shocks, even the titanium shafts. I put the lsts on, but I havent run it yet, still touching it up for the race with a 3.3 maxx. My buddy has a lst and he bashed the crap out of it, shocks took every ounce of abuse at the local bmx track.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:55 PM

I though were talking about racing a 3.3 Revo. The Maxx should be even easier. They come stock with wheelie bars now, and I've heard they use them alot. That would be a big disadvantage in a race. You gotta be able to keep your front end down and stay on the throttle too though.

If for some reason he does beat you, challenge him to a demolition derby. I'm sure you will beat him there.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:58 PM

thats what i said, savages are made to bash, but i was looking to get the racing tvp's lower center of gravity but i love off roading!
Old 05-28-2006, 10:02 PM

Yeah, that's how HPI should have made the Savage shocks to begin with. Those long skinny stockers are crap. The LST shocks just take everything you can throw at them, and then ask for more... like a Savage.

The truck looks good. I would look into a proper filter for the engine and ditch the shelf queen edition. I know that there are a couple models of that style filter out there that actually filter enough for these engines, but they are still out of place here. Get a good motor-saver style filter and two or three spare elements for it. That way you can change it out quickly if you need to, and they are easier to maintain.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:13 PM

I went the filter on there now, a k&n filter for a civic for more air since the .25 hpi stock one doesnt let in enough air flow
Old 05-29-2006, 08:07 AM

I highly recommend a motor saver air filter. This thing is huge and definately get more air then the motor needs.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:54 PM

I just made my first ever curved ramp today. Before, I've always just stacked up stuff and put some plywood on it. This new ramp will be very easy to hit at speed too because it is 6 ft wide and 4 ft long. I'll have to measure to be sure, but I think its 2-2.5ft tall.

Unfortunately I haven't replaced the spur on my Savage from the bash session last night yet. But here in a minute, I'm sure I'm gonna break the T4 with it. Pics will be up soon also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.