Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

OFFICIAL SAVAGE X 4.6 FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 04:34 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL SAVAGE X 4.6 FORUM

All very well put Kanza... ÍMO saying the Savage needs to evolve is like saying a classic muscle car needs to evolve in order to compete against a Mitsubishi Eclipse...

That's just not what it's about..
Old 05-26-2007, 06:32 PM
KILL--ROY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the savage kicks ass just the way it is. I dont think it needs to be redsign. It is a fun bashing truck, that is all it is. It is the best truck for bashing. I also think the traxxas rustler is a great bashing truck and will be buying one after my savage.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:25 PM
savagebasha26

here it is my savage x 4.6 i spent the afternoon fitting a few simple mods like spurrs wheelie bar which i had to custimize to fit the savvy x , 6v pack , failsafe , hpi rollcage , fuel filter i havent fitted hi torque steering sevo or 3 speed or reverse yet but they will go in eventually im gonna run it in tomorow or thursday
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99849.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	693661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51393.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	693662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65885.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	693663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58012.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	693664  
Old 05-29-2007, 09:31 PM
alvinm

Just ordered mine, towers has them in stock!
Old 05-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Art91

Ordered mine last night off tower, should be here next week.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:09 PM
savagebasha26

well i tried to start it today and it absolutely refused to start and in the middle a 1 battery packs worth of juice the theeth on the roto start shaft snapped of what sould i do ive contacted the modelshop i bought it off and im waiting for a reply any got any other starting tips also the fuel was "pissing" out of the exhaust by the time the theeth had snapped of the shaft half a tank was allready gone
Old 05-30-2007, 01:18 PM
HerrSavage

Did you mess with the needles before break-in?

Are you doing the heat-cycle method?

Did you loosen the glow-plug?
Old 05-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Gamerwillz

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

Did you mess with the needles before break-in?

Are you doing the heat-cycle method?

Did you loosen the glow-plug?
Same quote as I'm going to ask. Lol.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:51 AM
savagebasha26

hi got it started and run in
Old 06-02-2007, 06:47 AM
gtr

Does the Savage has wheel wobble problem ?
Old 06-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Vigilante212

Here is the HPI full size monster truck. Its more for spectators then for competition though.

[link=http://www.extremeteamride.com/]http://www.extremeteamride.com/[/link]
Old 06-02-2007, 10:39 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All very well put Kanza... ÍMO saying the Savage needs to evolve is like saying a classic muscle car needs to evolve
Musclecars are my area of expertise! The "classic" musclecar HAS evolved. Look at how the Mustang has changed from the 64 1/2 model (65 to most folks) to the current 07 Stang. See any evolvement? Tons. From mechanics to designs. Look at how the Camaro has changed from the 67 model to the (last gen) 2002. You'll see PLENTY of changes there too. I can go on and on about other cars, but I picked the Mustang and Camaro because they are known by everyone and are mainstream enough to where a long and drawn out explanation wasn't needed. The Savage has evolved *some* since 2002, but in order for it to go to the next level, it will need a complete redesign somewhere down the road. I'm sure HPI knows this too.[8D]
Old 06-02-2007, 10:41 AM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

Here is the HPI full size monster truck. Its more for spectators then for competition though.

[link=http://www.extremeteamride.com/]http://www.extremeteamride.com/[/link]
That's just a "ride-on" monster truck. It doesn't compete and never, ever could, it just gives people rides around parking lots. On the other hand, the Tmaxx truck is a bonafide monster truck and does compete in the Monster Jam series.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Vigilante212

Its still a full size hpi ad though
Old 06-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Kanza

For the sake of conversation, these are the things that I would change with the truck for the next "evolution"

1. Central section

The chassis section of the truck is both it's greatest asset and the biggest hurdle to clear. The current configuration of the transmission and brakes dictates the dimensions for the TVP's in this area. A new smaller transmission is needed in order to allow the truck to attain a lower CG while preserving enough ground clearance. Specifically, the outdrives should be placed as low as possible in order to get the drive axles as straight as possible from front to back. This would minimize the friction that is present at the front differential input in the current truck. Also, the internal gears would be smaller, which would allow the vertical depth of the transmission box to be reduced enough to drop the top of the chassis to what we see with the "full LCG" chassis'. Reverse would be built in to the design, eliminating the extra room that is needed for a separately cased reverse module (and an FOC kit would be available, much like what is available for the LST/2 and Revo). The engine would be dropped and moved forward a bit to help clear a universal rear differential input. The fuel tank shoud be relocated the the front and the radio gear would be spread out across the truck, kind of like a "factory" mid-tank conversion. The only part that stumps me would be where to put the brakes. One idea would be to put them inside the transmission. Depending on how the transmission is packaged, this could pose a maintenance issue, but moving the brakes inside the transmission could also improve their lifespan and reliability since they would be shielded from the elements.

2. Shocks/shock towers.

I like the Savage shoccks, especially the aluminum ones that are available from both HPI and Hot Bodies. However, I would like to see shorter and wider shocks. This would provide a smoother action with less possibility of the pistons binding on the shock bores due to extreme shock lenght. It would also make the dampening more predictable and easier to tune. Another benefit would be the ability to drop the chock tower height. The newer chock towers would have a wider range of mounting pounts, like a traditional 8th truggy design. Extra long body mounts would be included if you want to keep the "look" of a taller truck, but the stock mounts be specified in the instructions.

Extra length wouldn't be needed, since the lower CG of the design and the forwarded shift engine would help to keep the front wheels on the ground.

These are just my thoughts. Wait until gas prices drop before you drive to Ohio to smack me for being long winded.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:43 AM
black mamba

Its still a full size hpi ad though
Yes it is.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:46 AM
black mamba

I'd love to see the Savage take on a LST-type design or at least get away from the TVPs. That would open the door for a different engine mounting location, fuel tank location, trans location and types, etc, etc, etc. It's really a win-win situation.[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 06-03-2007, 12:53 AM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: savagebasha26

well i tried to start it today and it absolutely refused to start and in the middle a 1 battery packs worth of juice the theeth on the roto start shaft snapped of what sould i do ive contacted the modelshop i bought it off and im waiting for a reply any got any other starting tips also the fuel was "pissing" out of the exhaust by the time the theeth had snapped of the shaft half a tank was allready gone
Sounds like you flooded it. Get yourself one of the OFNA fuel filter/primers and you'll never flood your engine again. I have one and love it. 3 squeezes and the engine is primed.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:19 AM
HerrSavage

I'd still rather see a 1/5 scale Baja Savage than a new redesigned 1/8 Savage... IF they were to redesign it though, one thing I would hope for would simply be that it's bigger - up there with the LST2's and MGT's.. LST2-size tires for ex.. A "Savage XL", maybe??
Old 06-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Vigilante212

The things I think need to be changed in the savage are as follows.

First off it needs to be about a half inch longer and a half inch wider.

The front wheels need a better turning radius.

Drop the super long shocks and get some beefier shocks that are closer to resembling something like lst shocks, being plastic or aluminum either would do fine. The shock shaft needs to be thicker to prevent bending more often 4mm is a good start.

Remove the bulky radio box and mount a decent tank in its place.

I dont see any plastic housings on half of the vehicles servos I have seen so its not nessesary since most people waterproof them anyway. Set the front servo up so it can lay flat thus lowering the height of the fuel tank for lower cg. Setup the rear servo so it doesnt need all those goofy connections to work right. Something like the ofna mod.

Make the brakes easier to access.

Add a plastic skid plate standard to help prevent damage from jumps and rocks and stuff.

Add a mounting point for a wing everyone else has one we should too.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:49 PM
black mamba

I'd still rather see a 1/5 scale Baja Savage than a new redesigned 1/8 Savage... IF they were to redesign it though, one thing I would hope for would simply be that it's bigger - up there with the LST2's and MGT's.. LST2-size tires for ex.. A "Savage XL", maybe??
A 1/5th scale Savage would be awesome. If I remember right, when the Baja 5B came out, the HPI engineer that designed it hinted that they could use the basic 5B as a truck platform as well, but he didn't elaborate any further than that. Maybe the "HPI skunk works" has one or a few in testing? With the popularity of 1/5th scale these days and in the future, it doesn't sound too far fetched.[8D]
Old 06-03-2007, 01:51 PM
black mamba

The things I think need to be changed in the savage are as follows.

First off it needs to be about a half inch longer and a half inch wider.

The front wheels need a better turning radius.

Drop the super long shocks and get some beefier shocks that are closer to resembling something like lst shocks, being plastic or aluminum either would do fine. The shock shaft needs to be thicker to prevent bending more often 4mm is a good start.

Remove the bulky radio box and mount a decent tank in its place.

I dont see any plastic housings on half of the vehicles servos I have seen so its not nessesary since most people waterproof them anyway. Set the front servo up so it can lay flat thus lowering the height of the fuel tank for lower cg. Setup the rear servo so it doesnt need all those goofy connections to work right. Something like the ofna mod.

Make the brakes easier to access.

Add a plastic skid plate standard to help prevent damage from jumps and rocks and stuff.

Add a mounting point for a wing everyone else has one we should too.
Now we're talking. But is HPI listening?[8D]
Old 07-06-2007, 09:40 PM
rcrevodriver

Hello all I've just finihed putting my Savage xx s kit together. I have a question about the fuel tank. It seems very loose to me. I placed the o-rings under the tank. But it still seems to flop around too much. Is the tank supposed to be that loose??? Thank you for your time.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:29 AM
ashburg

LOL Agreed. Its up to us to modify these things with whatever we can drum up on the net with aftermarket parts to make the better savage. I'm beginning to believe that HPI is ignoring the differential CASE problem in order to sell the next version, but that's just me.

ORIGINAL: Nathan9492

No matter how much i love HPI Products, i really think there running out of ideas for the savage.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:52 AM
rcrevodriver

Thank you for your reply in the other thread i posted in ash. Got another question for you guys. What do you think of running 33% Top fuel in the K4.6? The manual says to run 20-25%. But my other trucks run on 33%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.