IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Troy built models?

Old 10-13-2003, 08:01 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Troy built models?

Hello all,
Does anyone have any experiences with these kits? I've reciently started flying a 2.6 Fiberclassics and there is no comparison to anything I have flown before. I immeditatly started thinking of what might be next and the 40%'ers (Composit ARF) seem like the ticket. Untill I heard about the Troy built. I don't like the monokote finish but otherwise it looks pretty awsome.
Can anyone tell me how it trims? Is there much elevator/aileron - rudder coupling correction with this kit? I was a little alarmed with how much was required on the Fiberclassics, but even with all that coupling it is still pretty nutral in other flight conditions. I had a Giles that was pretty nutral without any coupling - perhaps it is just characteristic of all Extras.
RickP
Old 10-13-2003, 12:18 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Troy built models?

I was also surprised at the amount of coupling on my Comp ARF Extra - neither my Midwest nor my Hangar 9 required anywhere near as much mixing. I have seen a TBM 35% Extra fly during the past summer's IMAC season - it flies slower than the Comp ARF and looks very solid. The owner did have some issues with some areas being too lightly built - like the blind nuts for the landing gear pulling through the plywood plate during a normal landing and poking holes in the wing sheeting when taking the wings out of the box. I heard a rumor that they are using slightly stronger wood now.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:35 AM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, in response to you post on the CA page . . .
I would not say give up, but I called them about a month ago and they said I would be looking at April before they started my TBM. That means I would have to cover it and test fly it in less than a month before our first contest. I was thinking about asking them in April to move me into December (of next year) so that I could finish it over next winters building season. But Nothing is final yet. The Nice thing about the CA is that I know I can have it in a week or two to my door.

As for all extra's needing the mixing, definitely not. I flew Jim's 42% von extra 260 on the 3rd flight and he had still put no mixing in it. It didn't need any at all.
My Dad's Great planes Extra 330 doesn't need any aileron mixed to rudder.
On the 260 the combination of the mid wing, and the dihedral angle they have set make it a very neutral flying plane. I was very impressed with it. Rich F ordered the 42 % about two weeks before I did. I am looking forward to flying his.

As mentioned the TBM will be monokoted, and be of soft wood. That's why it is so light. The CA will be harder to repair.

I have heard that the TOC boys prefer the Von Extra over the CA, but since Troy Built will not sponsor people they do not fly them. Each one is hand built in a jig, and they don't plan on having kits because the time and money it would take you to built their jig would cost as much as the kit.

Rob
Old 10-14-2003, 10:17 AM
carrid02
My Feedback: (102)

Hey, I may have something that you guys would be interested in. I've got a set of wings (one is 75% built and the other is in ribs, not started) for the 35% TBM 260.

If you call Gene at TBM, you can buy a fuse (ARC) for 300.00 and I'll sell someone the wings so you can have an awesome plane for cheap. (you will also have to buy the hor. stab and virt. fin) I would buy the fuse and finish it myself except I already have a 260 and don't need another one. Email me if your interested. Gene told me the other day that the waiting list is up to 30 weeks on his planes, but he has an ARC fuse to the 35% that he could ship out in a week or so. Anyway, let me know. I'll send pics to anyone interested. 1-325-665-4452

Rick, it's an awesome plane. I saw the Hill brothers flying theirs a while back and I was hooked. Either way you get it, you will love the plane. I can't wait to finish mine and get it airborn!!!!!

Thanks,
Craig Rideout
Old 10-14-2003, 01:11 PM
RobT

What made it so awesome?

Where did you get a wing kit? . . . Gene told me he isn't doing kits.

Thanks!
Rob
Old 10-14-2003, 02:54 PM
RobT

I just got off the phone with Gene From Troy Buit. Seems like he isn't going to be making the 35% for a while as he is too backed up!
Old 10-14-2003, 08:04 PM
carrid02
My Feedback: (102)

Well, I got the wings from a buddy of mine who was going to use them on a 35% Radiocraft Extra, but I got the extra so the wings came with it. Also, did you ask him about the fuse? I talked to him last week and he told me that he had one left.

You're right, he doesn't do kits (not yet). All the planes are ARC. The fuse for 300.00 is also an ARC. Anyway, let me know. Eamil me: [email protected]

Thanks,
Craig Rideout
Old 10-28-2003, 06:49 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

I for one would like to see a kit available for the Troy Built models. Most builders use some kind of jigging to build planes of this type. Carden and other manufacturers produce kits that are equally as difficult to build so I don't see a problem there. I do understand the difference in construction techniques (foam wings vs. built up). Anyone that attempts to build anything this complicated and expensive probably would be experienced or hire someone that is. The only other company that does produce a 260 kit is http://www.aerotech-rcmodels.com/ that I'm currently aware of. Some of us still prefer to build our own models.

EXCAP232
Old 10-29-2003, 08:37 AM
RickP

ORIGINAL: EXCAP232

Some of us still prefer to build our own models.

EXCAP232
But I think the key is that they use a JIG to build the model. You and I are not going to build a complex jig for just one airplane. They build many so I assume they have a nice and true complex jig to garuntee that it comes out straight. The jig may be more complicated then the model. However, I don't know how they stay in business with such a long lead time...
RickP
Old 10-29-2003, 06:15 PM
EXCAP232

Actually I would build a jig for just one item. I did many times in the over 20 years I built furniture professionally. I have built many jigs and even built a die cutter for ribs in the early 70's when I was involved in UC combat. I still have the die cutter and it still works! I enjoy building and do the necessary things to build so the plane or other item will be as close to perfect as possible. I will build the 40% Carden on top of a table specifically designed to laminate foam wing cores. It consists of a metal base, 5 "I" beams (the kind that support crash rails on the highway) and topped with 3 thickness of 1-1/8" MDF 32" x 60" (one sheet of MDF weighs almost 200 lbs). The "sandwich" is topped with flakeboard and 11 each 25 lb cinder blocks hold it until the polyurethane has adequate time to cure.

The last plane I built for another pilot took only a couple of clicks to bring it into trim. Another pilot did the trimming for the owner and is a really good pilot. He said it only took about 5 flights to "dial the plane in" and that it normally took him at least 50. He attributed this to the plane being constructed and set up properly. I very much appreciated the compliment.

For the fuselage construction I use a Gator RC fuse jig. I really like it and wouldn't have done a better job designing. I use precision squares by Bridge City and center rulers at every station to insure the parts are properly aligned.

To set a plane up I use 2 Robart meters to get close. I then use a digital level that is accurate to within 0.1 degree to set up the incidences on top of the meters. When helping a fellow modeler set up a plane during the set up and calling +2 then -1 etc. he said those are degrees right? I replied "no those are tenth's of a degree". He said "you can stop now as it won't make any difference to me!

So maybe you wouldn't build the jig however to gain the accuracy I like the jig would just be a part of the building process.

EXCAP232

ORIGINAL: RickP

ORIGINAL: EXCAP232

Some of us still prefer to build our own models.

EXCAP232
But I think the key is that they use a JIG to build the model. You and I are not going to build a complex jig for just one airplane. They build many so I assume they have a nice and true complex jig to garuntee that it comes out straight. The jig may be more complicated then the model. However, I don't know how they stay in business with such a long lead time...
RickP
Old 10-29-2003, 07:42 PM
RobT

Rick,

Actually Carden also has a six month wait time just for KITS. So the wait time for Troy Built makes sense since they build each one by hand. I put my order in for the TBM when this post first started, recently I was told MAYBE April befor I get the call that they are ready to start building. As you know we have some contests in April, so I decided I had to find something else for next year (Maybe the TBM will be for two years from now!)

I have to agree with EXCAP though I would like a TBM even more if I could build it. I wouldn't mind building a jig. I've done it for other planes.

EXCAP I use the Digital level as well, and I am not satisfied until everything says 0.0

EXCAP - For wings, you might want to give vacuum bagging a try. Works great, gives you more "weight" then you could any other way, and it is always straight. (Once the bag is pulled you can even hang it out of the way to cure.

How do you like the Aeroteck 260? IS it as nuetral as the TBM? It looks like a great price and great weight.

Rob
Old 10-30-2003, 04:59 AM
EXCAP232

From RobT "EXCAP I use the Digital level as well, and I am not satisfied until everything says 0.0"

Me neither.

I have looked into vacuum bagging but decided to stay with the weight press. Wish I still had my veneer press however. My table serves many purposes so doesn't cause a space problem. If space becomes an issue the vacuum would become more useful. I'm still not convinced polyurethane glue sets up as well in the vacuum though.

It's been a while since I flew an Aerotech 260 and have never had a chance at the Troybuilt so couldn't comment as a comparison. My feeling is both would perform well given the overall design of the plane. Dave VonLinsowe designed the Troy Built and picked it as the most neutral of the full scale designs (needs little or no coupling).

EXCAP232
Old 10-30-2003, 08:39 AM
RickP

Whoops,
Sorry guys, I guess I should have said I wouldn't have built a complex jig to build the fuse (perhaps that's why I like ARF's right now ) Actually it sounds like you guys really have your act together building wise and would love to take a few lessons from ya. Perhaps Rob can show me a thing or two in the future! Excap, do you have a pic of your bench? I really don't like mine right now and would like to do something different.
Thanks Guys,
RickP
Old 10-30-2003, 07:00 PM
EXCAP232

Rick,
I don't have pictures of the current bench. I plan to document the building of the new CAP so will post pictures once on the way.
EXCAP232

ORIGINAL: RickP

Whoops,
Sorry guys, I guess I should have said I wouldn't have built a complex jig to build the fuse (perhaps that's why I like ARF's right now ) Actually it sounds like you guys really have your act together building wise and would love to take a few lessons from ya. Perhaps Rob can show me a thing or two in the future! Excap, do you have a pic of your bench? I really don't like mine right now and would like to do something different.
Thanks Guys,
RickP