2 or 1 aileron servo option

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Hubb
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 or 1 aileron servo option

howdy all,

I would like to try and upgrade my aileron performance on my sequence plane. the plane is a 35% Radiocraft extra set up to fly with one (1) servo per aileron. the two options that I know of are to, a) add a second servo to each aileron - wich would require cutting into the wing and installing two new mounts or, b) upgrading to a new single higher tourque servo. for reference I fly Hitec, so the servos in question would be the current aileron servos - 5945 digital, 180oz / .13sec 6V versus the new ultra high tourque Hitec digital - 5955TG, 300ish oz / .15 sec 6V.

the reason for the question is that I feel that my current set-up is a step behind in the crisp snap entry and exit of other 2 aileron servo 35% and 2 and 3 servo 40%'s. no matter how high I turn up the ail rates I can't seem to get any faster rotation in the snaps, I believe the servos are stalling. am I on the right track? please share opinions,

Hubb
Old 07-21-2005, 08:34 PM
RC330LXFlya
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: 2 or 1 aileron servo option

I had a RadioCraft as well with 1 8411 on each aileron(so about the same as the 5945). It seemed to work fine, but if you have the means I would say go for it because it never hurts to have a little extra "oomph" anyways so the servos arent working as hard. so theres my .02 ( tho I think mine should be more like .04)
Old 07-29-2005, 03:54 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one too. I put the new Futaba 9152's, one each, on each aileron. I wish I had gone to the 5955's HiTecs or 8611's, since I had to redo the servo bay to accomodate the larger servo. My Radio Craft has a wide bay that was built to contain two servos in the middle of the wing. All three of the mentioned servos are well over 250 oz. in. I ended up with 8611's on the elevators, 5955's on the rudder and the 9152's on the aileron's. If I was starting from scatch I would have used the 5955's, I have a HiTec programmer and set the 5955's up with it, so I didn't need a match box on the two rudder servos or did not need any subtrim or much ATV adjustment to match the servo loads up.

The new 5955's are really fast and strong as hell. Can't believe I have over 600 oz.in. on the rudder, knife edge is flawless, needless to say. Also, the 5955's are a little smaller than the 8611's and the lightest of the three as well.

Hope this helps for you to make a decision. I sure didn't get any answers when I asked a similar question, when planning mine. Just gotta spend the rest of the summer trim flying and adjusting now. The final weight with a DA100 came out to 25#5oz. The plane already has unlimited verticle with only about the first gallon of breakin 32:1 syrup through it.

Let me know how it works out for you. also, have you solved your wing tube problems yet?
Old 08-01-2005, 04:32 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

I'm having the same dilemma. I have the RadioWAVE 35% extra... essentially the same except the wing is foam and the servos aren't right together in the center... they're spread a little bit. Jtec Radiowave recommends 2x5945s or a single 8611 in each aileron... hopefully he's right!!!

I have a couple 8611As to use... they are supposed to put out over 300 oz of torque. I sure would like to know if your performance changes with a single 8611A or a single 5955... that would help me make up my mind. My thinking is that if a single 300 oz servo can do the job well, then the snaps would be BETTER than a 2 servo setup because of the reduced rolling inertia (since the outboard bay would be empty).

BTW... I have an 8611 (w/ new case) on each elevator and 2 8611As in a SWB self adjusting tray on the rudder... should be plenty of power.

Also... just out of curiosity... I am getting 31 degrees of elevator throw with 140% ATVs (couldn't use 150... I had to subtrim one servo). Are you finding this to be enough (I haven't flown yet)? These elevators are HUGE! I still can't decide if I want to do 3D with this plane or not... I have the rudder throw for sure, but I'm not sure if I want to move to more of an IMAC setup on the other surfaces or use 3D throws.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:03 PM
IFLY3W
My Feedback: (5)

Hubbard, you know better than this!!!! It is called "blow-back!!" A bad thing with any GS aircraft!!! Install another servo right next to the current one, and you are off to the races, er, I mean starting box.....

See ya Friday!!

Chris~
Old 08-02-2005, 02:14 PM
rcplanefan
My Feedback: (2)

Hubb,

My RC had a big enough servo bay to accomodate 2 aileron servos right next to one another. Does yours? If so, you could just add another servo right next to the first, add another hard point, and go after it. Should be pretty simple.

I haven't had a good chance to watch your snaps, but I'd bet you are getting blowback. On my new plane this year, I have the same number of aileron servos (2 per wing) but I used much stronger servos. I can tell a huge difference - particularly on snaps. Hope this is helpful.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44184.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	304720  
Old 08-03-2005, 03:26 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Well... for me the verdict is in.

I just maindened my 35% J'Tec Radiowave Extra 330SX. I used a single 8611A per wing.

The snaps are AWESOME!!! The roll rate (on prescribed low rates) was RIDICULOUS.... I had to turn the ATVs WAY down. I'm actually having trouble with the snaps because they stop SO FAST!!! I've always had to lead the rollout by a little to end up wings level... not with this plane. It stops EXACTLY when I release the sticks... AWESOME!!! It also stops going in exactly the same direction it started in and in exactly the same pitch attitude it started in. The snaps are also VERY fast... too fast almost... I think I need to dial the rudder down a little too.

Anyway... thought I'd share. Lovin' this plane... it's a keeper. I'm hooked on 35%.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:50 PM
hmhubb

hey Ken,

watching your plane this year is one of the main resons for wanting to dial my snaps in. I know I've already said it but I love the way your snaps look this year. this is also one of the things that stands out in my mind from this years NATS. you could almost tell by watching who was running the higher tourque servos and who was not.

just to catch everybody up, I have eeked out every bit of mechanical advantage I could out of the single servo and we'll see how it presents this weekend. you guys can give me some feedback. However, I am leaning toward the new 5955 Hitec single servo option as soon as monetarily possible, that will free up this current set of 5945's and I will have enough servos to go dual ail on the new plane this winter.

loading up, see you guys in Cinci

Hubb