Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Multiple servos in an Ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:55 AM
omsflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple servos in an Ultimate

Have a new GP Ultimate, using a JR setup, 10X transmitter..955 receiver, digital servos.
Not having any luck setting up the top wing to work in combo with the lower..using the Pmix in the transmitter, but must have something totally messed up now..so wanting to go back to the basic start up and give it another try....
Anyone have success with this setup? HELP! Thanks! Charlie
Old 12-19-2005, 06:20 PM
RustyTumbles

Default RE: Multiple servos in an Ultimate

I am planning on setting mine up with the top wing, left and right servos y'ed together and the bottom wing left and right servo's y'ed together. Then using the flaperon mix JR (2610) mix them together, this should get everything working in the right direction.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:12 PM
omsflyer

Thanks, but how do you reverse a servo with a Y connection, say IF both are going together in the down postion and one should go up instead?? must pretty well eliminate the KE trimming we might need too, not sure how that works never have tried that before...I have the bottom wing working fine using the Ail/Aux 1 mixing....But will give it some thought..Charlie
Old 12-20-2005, 12:55 PM
RustyTumbles

Just y the top wing and the bottom wing. Like you would on a monoplane. Then plug the top wing in aileron channel and the bottom wing into the aux 1 channel. Then setup the flaperon mix. When on a y lead the servos will go different directions so this should have everything working in the right direction.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

That's not normally how bipe ailerons are mixed...

You plug the left wing servos into a "Y"

You plug the right wing servos into a "Y"

THEN mix the two using the Aileron and AUX channels.

On Futaba I put the right aileron in the aileron channel (1) and the left aileron in the Flap channel (6)... then enable flaperons.

If you have to reverse a servo (usually a pair on one side) simply reverse the channel they are plugged into...

Old 12-22-2005, 01:23 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with this, also, if you need to reverse a servo on a Y, they make reversing Y's that will allow you to accomplish this, they also have some with an adjustment pot for trimmining center. They run about $20.00 or more.
ORIGINAL: Maudib

That's not normally how bipe ailerons are mixed...

You plug the left wing servos into a "Y"

You plug the right wing servos into a "Y"

THEN mix the two using the Aileron and AUX channels.

On Futaba I put the right aileron in the aileron channel (1) and the left aileron in the Flap channel (6)... then enable flaperons.

If you have to reverse a servo (usually a pair on one side) simply reverse the channel they are plugged into...

Old 12-23-2005, 04:30 AM
RustyTumbles

The ultimate will be my first bipe so I am new to this type of setup. But wouldn't that cause the ailerons on to go in different directions on the same side?? (left top wing up, left bottom wing down) I am confused. Normally when you plug two servos into a y lead one will turn in the opposite direction. Therefore you would want that sero on the opposite wing, just like a monoplane ailerons y'd into one channel. (left aileron up, right aileron down)
Old 12-23-2005, 07:43 AM
Maudib

Rusty, it would at first seem that way, but that is incorrect...

Plugging in servos into a "Y" does not reverse a servo... they run the same direction.

On a small plane where the opposite ailerons are on a "Y"... the servo arms are on opposite sides of the servos... thus one pulls when the other pushes but the servo shafts turn the same direction.

On a bipe like this, the left pair servo arms face the same direction, and thus they pull/push together... same for the right pair.

Read you radio manual for mixing info, but flaperons is the common name. The left pair of ailerons will be matched with linkage adjustment so they are both neutral. Same for the right.

Then when flaperons are set, you can use the aileron trim to adjust your trim in flight... it will trim ALL servos on BOTH sides at the same time.

Also make sure that the "flaps" feature is turned off or set to 0% if possible. Flaperons allows the ailerons to be dropped creating a flap effect, and you don't want to accidentally hit a switch or dial that turns it on...

During setup, you MAY need to reverse the aileron or AUX channel (or both) within the radio.

Again I normally place the RIGHT wing servos into the aileron channel and the LEFT wing servos in the AUX (or in my Futaba case Flap) channel

Whatever side is going "backwards" reverse that channel. Reversing JUST the aileron channel will ONLY reverse the servos connect to that channel... you may need to revese the AUX channel if it's throwing the wrong direction.

Usually the steps are:

1) Enable Flaperons in the radio and plug the servos in the proper channels
2) Check and reverse Ail/Aux channels if necessary to get the directions correct
3) Check that each servo arm is as parallel to the hingeline as possible (often 90 degrees to the servo body)
4) Adjust linkage so that all the surfaces are trimmed at neutral
5) Set high rate throws to recommended rates using ATV or Endpoint adjustment, the set hi rate Expo
6) Set low rates next, then set low rate expo.

ALWAYS confirm before each flight that your ailerons (actually all surfaces) are moving correctly. Especially with ailerons, you could plug them in the wrong channel at the field in haste and the ailerons WILL be reversed.

Fly and adjust your aileron trim as necessary... NOTE: you do not need to trim the AUX channel as the flaperon mix uses the aileron trim on all the ail servos...

Feel free to ask any questions... it does seem complicated at first...

J. David
Old 12-23-2005, 11:35 AM
RustyTumbles

Cool thanks mate that helps heaps.! I've got the jist of it now. So aileron differential is then just a matter of adjusting the epa/atv on the tx right???
Old 12-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Maudib

Exactly... depending on how your radios programming does it. Some will have a perearte feature for Ail DIff.... other make you either select Flaperons OR Aileron Diff.

Worst case scenario is that you use endpoints/ATV for the seperate channels to limit the throws to create aileron differential

Consult the all mighty (and often obscure) manual...
Old 12-23-2005, 05:21 PM
RustyTumbles

Cool thanks mate..!!