Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Equipment for Hangar 9 Extra 260

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 11:00 PM
pattnut

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Equipment for Hangar 9 Extra 260

Once again, Dick"No Right Thrust, That's what the Rudder's For"Hanson has said it all; Light is Right. No substitute. Inertia damping is the key under ANY flight condition...

Old Dawg,
Long live Team Vegas
Old 01-01-2006, 08:59 AM
toprudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

really not necessary - just make a floor of firm 3/32 - balsa cross grain. back a ways
-to end of pipe
then a bulkhead with a soft tube from 1/2" dia blueline - to accept the spud on the rear of the can
Just so I understand what you are saying, the floor and bulkhead isolate the radio compartment from the muffler?

Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Lafus Maximus
My Feedback: (48)

So has anyone flown this plane with a Moki 1.8 yet? I have one laying around and was thinking about putting it in one of these 260's. Should make for a light combo, and should fly IMAC pretty well.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:19 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeh- basically just preventing a direct , upward heat flow I once worried over all this crap -found out that as long as oil spatter/flow was no problem - just provide some natural path out for the radiated heat from th pipe .
I have seen expensive tubes (look like hamster runs) for "proper direction of air around pipe" - fooey - not worth the time spent ordering them
So far the best setup for controlled temps I have found, is simply to divide the fuselage into two compartments by making a floor which extends from the "firewall" , not the engine mounting plate and back to about end of pipeand then provide a good restraining vertical mount for the end of th pipe . All th radio crap above - and th pipe below
It also effectively stiffens the fuselage

The air exits - a bottom tunnel or slots in the angled bottom between the lower longerons
The lighter the better .
Lafus Maximus?
Do you know -- Biggus Dickus?
His wife's name is Incontinetikus Buttockus
Old 01-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Lafus Maximus
My Feedback: (48)

haha, anyway...
Does that mean this would be a good combo?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:41 PM
wharris0466

I just bought a hangar 9 extra 260 today. Any suggestions on the equipment I should put in it. This the first large airplane for me to date. I have no idea what to put in t he airplane as to electronic? I am thinking on the servos as to four Hitec HS5925's and for the rudder futaba 9151, rx 2400mah, the ign. 1000mah on a DA-50 setup. Would this be the right idea? I just dont know! Someone clue me in.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:24 AM
toprudder

Dick,

Where did you get the header for the ZDZ40 RE? I emailed RCS and they do not sell it. They have a wrap-around header for the side-exhaust version only.

Bob R.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:55 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made it - from some old KS tubing - The shape was done such that it has max flow -using straight pieces -IF I had some curves -it would have humped up a bit then curved back down to level The flow out of the exhaust port is away from the chamber so this is important for best flows . Look into the new ZDZ/ 3W engine exhaust ports you will see what I mean.
also why new headers have larger diameters than it would seem necessary - the path shape out the engine can change the power .
Old 01-24-2006, 01:03 PM
toprudder

Well, I thank everyone for their input. I had almost decided to go with the ZDZ40, but decided finally to go with the Evolution 45. I ordered it through the LHS (one of my considerations) and hopefully it will be in soon. The specs on it look good, weight is great, and I've heard good things about it from a couple of local guys. I also ordered the wraparound muffler, but just want to have that as a backup. I'm going to order the JMB can, and once that is in place and I can make some measurements, I'll order a custom header.

Oh, here is a link to the engine, shown mounted in the H9 E260:

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=EVOE45GX]EVO45[/link]

As for servos, I have several JR 4721s NIB, and will go with those for rudder and ailerons. I may at some point in the future go with digitals, I just could not see buying them now with all the servos I already have.

Has anyone had any problems with the hinges that come with the kit? I've always believed in using flat hinges and glueing/pinning them (call me REAL OLD school). At this point, I plan to use the hinges, installed per the instructions.

Bob R.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:42 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Three of my kit's hinges were too stiff to use. A call to Horizon produced, a few days later, a package of six DuBro hinge points. These are of definite better quality than what came in the kit. Apparently, the kit hinges are "Asian specials" and put in the box before the kits are sent to Horizon.

Of some concern was the fact that the Dubro hinge points were distinctly smaller in diameter than the kit hinges. Since I was using polyurethane (expanding) glue, I took a chance on the looser fit; so far, so good.

IOW, the knuckled hinge point concept works just fine, depending upon the quality of the examples you have. I would definitely use polyurethane glue, however. Epoxy will possibly not fill in any voids.

Like any new (to you) technique, using polyurethane glue seems a bit clumsy at first. But you quickly get the feel for it; its almost as simple as CA hinges, and surely MUCH less hassle than pinned/epoxy hinges.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:47 PM
cygnet
My Feedback: (33)

Dick what do you think of a ES pipe is the 260 I have one for my Abbra and that pipe really works and is very light, is there room under the wing tube for it ?
Old 02-23-2006, 11:18 AM
tl3
My Feedback: (2)

Hi all,
Do you think that the tunnel in the 260 is long enough to accommodate a tuned pipe setup, or is it designed for the cannister set? I've got a 3m 170 and carbon pipe laying about . . . thought they and the 260 might make an interesting combo for a fun knock about plane . . .
t
Old 02-23-2006, 02:51 PM
toprudder

ORIGINAL: TLyman

Hi all,
Do you think that the tunnel in the 260 is long enough to accommodate a tuned pipe setup, or is it designed for the cannister set? I've got a 3m 170 and carbon pipe laying about . . . thought they and the 260 might make an interesting combo for a fun knock about plane . . .
t
Give me the dimensions of the pipe/header and I will look at my plane and tell you.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:02 AM
tl3
My Feedback: (2)

Hi, roughly 30 inches from motor the backplate. Thanks.

ty
Old 02-26-2006, 09:55 PM
toprudder

ORIGINAL: TLyman
Hi, roughly 30 inches from motor the backplate. Thanks.
Ok, I just took a look at mine (and actually started working on it!!!). There is a small bulkhead at the bottom of the fuselage, about 16.75 inches back from the firewall, and 20 inches back from the center of the side exhaust port on my engine (Evolution 45GX). That short bulkhead holds the front of the servo tray for the rudder servo. I don't see any reason you could not run the pipe over top of this, and move the servo somewhere else. This kit allows the rudder servo to be mounted in the tail, but that is usually because of balance issues when using a heavier gas engine.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:44 PM
ImacPilot
My Feedback: (95)

Well I'm jumping into the game here...I have the Extra 260 and going to use the Brison 2.4 (40cc) gasser..the weight on the Brison without the wrap around Bisson Pitts is 44.00 oz and rated at 21lbs of thrust...for a 13lb plane..I don't see a weight to power problem here..at 750ft above sea level,..near St.Louis...But would like to get a address for a replacement Landing gear...mine not quite done and would like to replace the gear "Before I have any Delaminating" problems some folks have experienced, after just a few flights..I'm the UN-Lucky SOB that my gear would fail completly and really tear up the 260...So if anyone can help out on the main gear let me know...Thanks
Old 04-23-2006, 06:49 PM
ImacPilot
My Feedback: (95)

Oh yea,...before I forget again...On you pilot's that are using the GAS engine set-up on the Extra 260...are you moving the fuel tank back near the wing tube for better C.G. ???.and using the stock tank ???....Thanks
Old 04-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Gary Powers

Since this thread shows some sign of coming to life again, I would like to jump in with questions/observations regarding the H9 X260; first, I am on my second one (the first did not last but a few flights) and both landed "fast". Really don't know the weight on mine, but I have a BME 44 on the nose. Other than that, stock. So either the plane is heavy overall or nose heavy. It is balanced on the recommended point in the instruction manual (been doing this over 30 years, so that should be right). Anybody else have this issue of the plane barreling down final and running out of elevator when it's time to flare?

With regard to delamination of the main gear, no signs on either of my airplanes.

Gary
Old 04-25-2006, 08:07 PM
toprudder

ORIGINAL: ImacPilot
Oh yea,...before I forget again...On you pilot's that are using the GAS engine set-up on the Extra 260...are you moving the fuel tank back near the wing tube for better C.G. ???.and using the stock tank ???....Thanks
I plan on mounting mine back over the CG if possible. Will be using the stock tank, unless I find out it is not enough.

Evolution 45 w/ Bisson wrap-around muffler to begin with. I may go to a canister muffler setup later if the Bisson is not quiet enough.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:17 AM
toprudder

After letting this project sit idle for a while, I am finally working on it again and getting close to finishing it -- hopefully a test flight this week.

The tank is mounted under the wing tube, where the cannister muffler would go. Two advantages to this - CG won't change during flight, and the throttle linkage is a straight shot through the engine box.

I'm sticking with the Bisson muffler. I heard a couple at a recent IMAC contest, on DA50s, and the noise level was ok for me.

I was worried that the plane would come out nose-heavy with the Evolution 45, but looks like it will be dead-on without having to mount anything rearward. In fact, I may have to move the battery up behind the fuel tank, especially if I install a cockpit dummy. This is with the rudder servo in the tail. It looks like the weight will be around 14lbs.

For throws, I am putting in half the recommended high-rate throws. Not planning on doing any 3D with it, only IMAC precision stuff. I will set the low-rates to the recommended low-rate throws.

I'm going with a 1800mah 5 cell nicad for the flight pack. I have not decided yet between a 1500 NiMh or a 1400 Nicad for the ignition.

The Evolution 45 really fit the cowl nicely. I ordered standoffs from Forques Research, just long enough to get the spinner backplate past the front edge of the cowl. I had to open up a hole in the firewall for the carb, if the standoffs had been another 3/8" or so I would not have needed to do that.

I will post pics when I get everything finished.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:01 PM
LSP972

The suggested low rates are 'way too much for precision IMAC stuff; especially if you set it up like the manual shows, with 1:1 ratios (i.e., servo horns as long as the control horns). This gives a tremendous amount of throw for 3D; but to do smooth aerobatics, you need to cut the throws so far back the servo is hardly moving. IOW, very little resolution/precision in the servo.

I eventually went to very small servo horns (the little circular ones that are "standard") and max ATVs.

Now, this assumes that you prefer to have full range of movement on your sticks when flying aerobatics. If you can get by with barely moving the stick, then the book set-up will do fine. I tried that, and there was no "repeatability". Sure, my lack of control, but nonetheless... So I went through the hassle of changing all my servo horns and found the sweet spot on the roll rate. I then adjusted my tx response to that and can now just ease the stick over to the stop and the airplane will roll at the desired rate.

There are several excellent threads on this forum regarding this exact topic. The time spent looking for them will be well spent once you find them. I learned a ton, plus there's a lot of good information on the IMAC site. Once you begin to delve into the subject of control geometry and its ramifications, you realize that you really didn't know ANYTHING about these critters; even after almost 20 years in the hobby.

I didn't approach this IMAC gig to compete; I began it to make myself a better pilot. If I never fly a contest, it will have served its purpose.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:25 PM
toprudder

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell
The suggested low rates are 'way too much for precision IMAC stuff; especially if you set it up like the manual shows, with 1:1 ratios (i.e., servo horns as long as the control horns). This gives a tremendous amount of throw for 3D; but to do smooth aerobatics, you need to cut the throws so far back the servo is hardly moving. IOW, very little resolution/precision in the servo.

I eventually went to very small servo horns (the little circular ones that are "standard") and max ATVs.
Steve,

Great suggestion, thats exactly what I did. I maxed the ATV, then picked a hole on the servo arm that gave me half what the manual suggested for high rate. I also had to go all the way out on the control horns.

BTW, check out an article I wrote for the KFactor in 1995:
[link]http://www.toprudder.com/hobbies/fut7uap.pdf[/link]
Old 06-12-2006, 07:43 PM
LSP972

Ah so... the venerable old Super 7. Had two of those puppies.

Great radio....
Old 06-15-2006, 09:48 AM
toprudder

Finally, I just finished it last night. All up weight, minus pilot figure, is 13lbs 10oz. And, the CG is towards the rear limit. The Evolution 45 must be light compared to the DA50.

Equipment:
Evolution 45GX engine.
Bisson wrap-around muffler
Stock landing gear
Stock wing tube
Servos: JR 4000 on each elevator
JR 4721 on each aileron
JR 4721 on rudder
Futaba 9101 on throttle.
1400 mah 4 cell nicad on ignition
1800 mah 5 cell nicad for flight pack
Futaba 9ch PCM rx
JR Matchbox on elevators

Will be using my trustworthy Futaba 7UAPS initially. I may be upgrading later to my 9ZAP.

I will be looking to replace the stock landing gear (both the mains and tailwheel).

Starting out with a 22x8 Pro Zinger, but will be switching soon to a prototype Vess prop. Should go like stink!!!

At this weight, I am very happy.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:45 AM
toprudder

We have about 10 flights on it now. Though the balance is just behind the recommended point, it flies a little nose heavy. I'm going to add a little weight to the tail just to see how it changes, then remove the weight and shift things around if I like it.

I lied, I had a 22x10 prop, not a 22x8. I have not tached it yet. It pulls it well, though it gets just a little sluggish at the top of long lines. However, it is getting better every flight as the engine breaks in. I really love the way the Evolution engine starts/runs. I have a prototype Vess 22A prop that I am going to try next, then a 23A after that.

The stock gear started to delaminate. No hard landings at all, just a very small bump in the runway and I heard it crack. For now, I have wrapped the area with CF roving and CA. I'm going to replace the gear with an aluminum set.

On long uplines, it wants to drop the nose, so I added a little upthrust to it last night (have not flown with it yet). It pitches down slightly with rudder, and has some proverse roll coupling as well. I mixed it out, does really nice knife-edge and slow rolls on low rate rudder.

It had an aileron trim problem that I traced to a slightly warped right aileron. The trim changed with a change in airspeed. I ironed the warp out and don't have the problem anymore. One of the elevator halves was also warped, but I discovered/fixed that during construction.

I'm getting things dialed in a little at a time, but so far I am very happy with the way it flies. My 11 year old son does a great job with it, and we will be entering IMAC contests with it soon. He has been practicing with this plane for the Youth Masters event that we will be attending this weekend. This will be his first contest.

Bob R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.