Notices
IRC Racing Support The online retailer for many of your r/c products is available to support RCU members. Click here if you need their help or have a question for them. Hosting this forum will be RADICALJ, RC-BOSS, MINDCRIME and REDCATRACING1.

Lemon.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Dannn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lemon.

I purchased the IRC Vulcan for 200 dollars from my LHS i got it home and broke it in and it ran perfect. I took it out to drive for a little bit and the car rolled over with the body on and stripped a spur. I didnt understand why so i called my lhs and the owner nicley told me to come in and he would give me one for free. I went the next day and got it. I had the car for the 2nd day and i was out driving on a dirt road near my dads house, i was having all kinds of fun just sliding around on a flat surface, i noticed the rear tires werent spinning when i took off. I brought it in and it had stripped the rear diff, just from up and down the dirt road and sliding around. Luckily i had 2 spare diffs that came with the car so i quickly switched the bad diff out with the good diff. I was soon back on the road. I went to dinner and came back home, me and my friend set up a small foot high jump and i was having fun jumping it around and i was jumping properly, letting off the gas just before hitting the top of the jump so the motor wouldnt over rev and strip the spur. After jumping a few times i drove it down the street and brought it in due to hearing a clicking noise. Looking closely i stripped 2 teeth out of the spur, i drove it around and ended up spitting out another spur gear. I tried to take it back to my lhs and they do not return nitro cars so i was stuck. I bought 2 more spur gears which were revised and fatter and i adjusted the gear mesh and havent had a problem scince. I took around my house a few times and the car got stuck WOT and took off but luckily ran out of gas. It took me 15 minutes with wd40 brake away and 10w30 motor oil to get the throttle to quit sticking. I noticed the clicking noise again and brought it in and the front diff had gone. I changed it out and that was all set and fine again. Driving it around the rear started clicking again so i took it in very frusterated because its very very hard to work on a car that has fuel and gunk all over it due to the bearing on the motor leaking. I interchanged the gears in the diffs so i had a perfect diff all set and straight. I noticed that the front tires were slicks now from driving it on pavement and the rears were just about gone. I adjusted my rear tires so they were slanted vertically in at the bottom. I decided to take it bashing with my friend who has a revo 3.3. The spot we were at was mainly flat dirt with some weeds and it was just fun to have a dust trail while driving and sliding around. All of a sudden the car would bareley move, i stripped out yet another rear diff and a front diff. I am fed up with this car and really think that IRC should go through and fix its flaws before selling this product with so many problems. I dont even have a quarter gallon through it and its doing this? I belive this product is a lemon and should be revised. I will not buy anything for this car untill it is revised and fixed, i am not wasting my money just to break more parts on a car that i thought would be awesome due to its size. Now my trans gears are about shot and i have lost a rear dogbone somehow (broken in half?) so now its going to cost a 14 year old kid 37 dollars just to get the car running again. I spent all the money from selling my PSP on this car and i am very very upset with its quality. IRC is there anything you will do about this as far as a warrenty on the parts like replacing them? I am close to selling the thing on ebay just because i cant afford to keep replacing parts. So any help would be greatly appreciated with this car. I was told tha tmetal diffs were supposed to be coming out, i havent seen any at all.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 08-21-2006, 11:04 PM
TheLinkster

Default RE: Lemon.

Im the friend with the Revo 3.3 and at first I thought it was a cool little buggy (I was even thinking about buying one) until it stripped the gears and it was like a sitting duck. IRC Please Fix the problems with the Vulcan. When the problems are fixed ill gladly purchase a Vulcan but until then... Ill stick to my Revo.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:29 PM
CDRacingZX6R

ORIGINAL: UnderOATH

I am close to selling the thing on ebay just because i cant afford to keep replacing parts. So any help would be greatly appreciated with this car. I was told tha tmetal diffs were supposed to be coming out, i havent seen any at all.

Thanks,
Dan
This is very discouraging. I was very excited when I saw the review for the car on this site. So much so I was planning on buying one with my birthday money. I even bet my friends who are RC fanatics would have been on board with this nice looking buggy... But then the problems I've seen are so many.. And it doesnt seem like isolated cases, but rather many people or almost all the people who have purchused this car are experiancing problems?

Are the problems in both Vulcans, the pro, etc? Or is the pro version at least fixed with some better quality parts? Or are many of these problems still exist on the pro-versian as well.

I mean honestly, for the 350 or so price tag of the pro, and if it has all these problems it just shows why people invest so much more money in the big brands like Kyosho, and the Schumaker Rascal. One of these two will more than likely be my destination for a future car.

But I can't get over the overwhelming appearace (looks wise) of the Vluncan. It's a very clean looking car. I'd love to spend money on it, but for 300 bucks (with the slew of reliable, good quality RTR's out there), seems like a waste of money.

I hope to see improvements one day.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Dannn

The drivetrain on the regular vulcan and vulcan se to my knowledge are the same. Just get the rascal.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:08 PM
CDRacingZX6R

The drivetrain on the regular vulcan and vulcan se to my knowledge are the same. Just get the rascal.
Yeah. Man after reading all your posts man I feel for you. Ive had lemons to.. (Original traxxas nitro buggy must have everything break on me in the course of a month or two). But I appricate that you are on these forums posting your experiances and warnings. I honestly was probably going to buy one until I read yours and others complaints with the car.

Probably get the nitro mini inferno, or Rascal now.. Whichever is cheaper. Either way im sure the long term costs wont be as high as the Vulcan.

Good luck.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Dannn

rascal would be my choice...
Old 08-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Stone_Golem

I recently bought one off eBay and had a post like this been up I would have thought twice.

Oh well, lesson learned.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Titleist

Whewwww....Sorry i brought up a sore subject...But now Im glad I didnt buy 1
Old 08-28-2006, 02:26 PM
TheLinkster

Hey RC-BOSS when are the new metal gears comming out? Also is the Team VTX MB1 the same as the Vulcan?
Old 08-28-2006, 02:42 PM
AntWar

I have the acme nb16 its the same but we have metal diff gears
for sale on ebay here in the uk and i a acme 2 speed box and it
came with a wider spur that has stood a lot of abuse and is still ok
the original spur was junk.

Antwar
Old 08-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Dannn

yeah, they revised the spur so its fatter... no probs with that. The diff gears however...
Old 08-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Titleist

What about Trinitys little 1/16 truggy called the NEXT?
Old 08-30-2006, 12:29 PM
AntWar

I hope it got better diffs because it another NB/Vulcan copy.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:16 AM
Dannn

yeah, this is the only car im keeping cause i know i cant sell it for very much money... my tmaxx is going on ebay soon.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Dannn

So no answer from IRC. Do they even listen? i wouldnt buy anything from them anymore.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Stone_Golem

So no answer from IRC. Do they even listen? i wouldnt buy anything from them anymore.

I was inquiring about a pull-starter as my spring broke and never heard anything back (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4593128/tm.htm). So to answer your question, they don't listen. It looks like I'll have to replace the entire motor... so I've shelved it. No point in spending all that money to replace a spring that might cost $0.10 to make.

It's a cute little car, but awfully expensive paper weight.

I ended up just buying something else.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Mindcrime

Stone_Golem: We are out of stock on the pull starts, thats why you can't find them on the web site...I do see the RC Boss replied to you when you originaly posted. he must have missed your second post, sorry about that.

UnderOath:
I'm sorry you have had these issues, the reason there was a complete extra set of assm. diffs was due to some issue we found while testing, we provided you with the upgraded complete diff assm...if your car stuck wide open until it ran out of fuel maybe it hit or just couldn't take 4 minutes of wide open abuse...you say you interchanged parts? I guess you mean you took parts out of the original diffs and put them into the new ones? if that is the case I understand why they blew again, the first diffs had some bad gears, again this is why you had a complete new set of diffs included with your car. I sorry you have had these problems, but it sounds like you have taken care of the spur gear....as for the other things shoot me a PM and we can talk.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:14 PM
Patchystar04

well... sorry to say it but...The next's diffs strip too it was in RC driver the other month and the editor stripped his in a day...too bad. However the VTX does have metal diffs but a smalled engine than the NEXT and less parts support (its a new company) so far, the best mini yet to come is the Jammin CRT .5 !!! it has a .12 engine (so its not AS small but still very small compared to other cars) so its easier to tune. And it is form ofna jammmin so parts must be very available. And hey METAL DIFFS

things you want/ no NEED in a mini nitro
1. Good engine-they're no good with a bad engine- YOU NEED POWER
2. METAL GEAR DIFFS- companys skimp and don't use real diffs just plastic these engines aare still very powerfull
3. Good parts support-- you WILL break something, its part of the hobby
4. A dual needle carb helps to keep these buggars running (they often stall out due to their small stature)

I hope this helps (feel free to repost as i think this can help many people)
Old 03-02-2007, 12:33 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Has anyone run the Team VTX 1/16th cars? We just started carrying them but haven't run any of them, I was assuming they would run just as good as the Himoto 1/16ths since there the same basic car. They sell well so we will probablly be buying a large stock of parts for them in the near future. No one has come back complaining in the last two weeks since we started selling them so i assume that is good news.