Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Programming disabilaty

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 10:56 PM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Programming disabilaty

I have a plane with a canopy that's on a switch. I'd like to have it where when the plane is flying, the canopy cannot be opened, you know, just in case I accidentally hit a switch, as the canopy is hinged at the rear. What I'm wondering could have some other useful applications. I've tried a few things, but can't seem to figure out the way, IF it's even possible. The best I can figure, the most reliable situation is that if the ignition is armed, in this case, throttle cut is off, the plane is in ready to fly mode, so I want the switch for the canopy to be disabled. If I accidentally hit it, nothing should happen. If I turn ON throttle cut, meaning the plane can't fly because the throttle is disabled, then the switch for the canopy would be allowed to operate the canopy opening and closing. I'm wondering is there a way to do this? Am I missing something? I've tried it in mixing, flight mode setups, but all my attempts have hit a wall because it's pretty "either or" if that makes sense. Anything else I can try? I'd like to try this as well with the altitude reporting, but only if the plane is below or above a certain altitude. Is this even possible? Or do I just have to make sure I'm not clumsy, lol?

Radio, Spektrum iX12
Old 11-01-2022, 03:41 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

The problem with using throttle cut is many full size warbirds taxi with the canopy open. My radio has conditions, or operating modes that can be set, such as taxi and takeoff. These can be used to control switches - you sure wouldn't want your landing gear to retract while on the ground.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:22 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by djmp69
I have a plane with a canopy that's on a switch. I'd like to have it where when the plane is flying, the canopy cannot be opened, you know, just in case I accidentally hit a switch, as the canopy is hinged at the rear. What I'm wondering could have some other useful applications. I've tried a few things, but can't seem to figure out the way, IF it's even possible. The best I can figure, the most reliable situation is that if the ignition is armed, in this case, throttle cut is off, the plane is in ready to fly mode, so I want the switch for the canopy to be disabled. If I accidentally hit it, nothing should happen. If I turn ON throttle cut, meaning the plane can't fly because the throttle is disabled, then the switch for the canopy would be allowed to operate the canopy opening and closing. I'm wondering is there a way to do this? Am I missing something? I've tried it in mixing, flight mode setups, but all my attempts have hit a wall because it's pretty "either or" if that makes sense. Anything else I can try? I'd like to try this as well with the altitude reporting, but only if the plane is below or above a certain altitude. Is this even possible? Or do I just have to make sure I'm not clumsy, lol?

Radio, Spektrum iX12
Sure, that's possible. Change the input to your canopy channel to Inh on the Channel Input Assign screen. Then in the mixes, create a Normal mix of the switch > canopy channel. Set the rates to 100%/100%, and set the Switch to the same as your throttle cut switch. Set it so it's only active in the position that you want.

Andy

Old 11-01-2022, 10:18 AM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
The problem with using throttle cut is many full size warbirds taxi with the canopy open. My radio has conditions, or operating modes that can be set, such as taxi and takeoff. These can be used to control switches - you sure wouldn't want your landing gear to retract while on the ground.
Right, so how is this accomplished? It would be cool to taxi with the canopy up, but I don't want the canopy coming open while thw bird is in the air. It would even be cool if I could slave the canopy switch to the altimeter, si if it's over minimum altitude, the switch is inhibited.

How did you do your conditions, are they just flight modes or something more?
Old 11-02-2022, 11:22 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes, the conditions on my transmitter are similar to the flight modes on the iX12. You might be able to have a taxi mode that would allow the canopy up or down and prohibit the gear from going up. And a flying mode that prohibits the canopy from going up but allows the gear to be either up or down. I'm not familiar with the iX12 but Andy sure is.
Some have said that the conditions on the FS-i10 are complicated since they do control so much and each control has to be re-set for every condition. That can be a pin but does allow some neat things. I read in the iX12 manual where it talked about have a takeoff mode separate from a landing mode and controlling the flaps based on mode. I have 5 conditions on mine - ground (same as taxi), takeoff/approach, landing, normal flight, and acro flight. These modes also control the flight stabilization system making takeoff and landing more stable and less potential for ground loops.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:42 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Flight modes are another way, besides the mixes I mentioned above.

Andy