Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

Aeroshell 500 Prohibited

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Kansog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Barry, in addition to the oil topic I wonder if you have received already for revision any turbines from Brazil running on Diesel. I wonder because I have started to use Diesel S50 (50ppm of sulfur) and now changed to S10 (10ppm of sulfur and basically the same Ketone level of Kerosene). If yes, what's the result? No problems or abnormalities as with Kerosene? I'm currently using the BP 2197 oil...

Thanks and best regards,

Klaus
Old 09-18-2013, 04:08 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Klaus, 50ppm is going to be just fine as far as we are concern. We have customers in China using up to 400ppm and haven't received negative reports. However, I would stay away from the 500 and 1800 that are available in Brazil.

Regards,
Barry
Old 10-01-2013, 04:40 PM
RCskunk

I'm glad that I just happened upon this thread about Aero 500 or I would not have heard anything about this oil issue. Does KingTech have any intention of officially informing its customers of this announcement? I registered my engine after purchase and I guess I thought that issues like this were the purpose of registration. Maybe they just got my e-mail wrong. Sorry for complaining if I missed it.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Kim Couturier
My Feedback: (120)

Barry, thanks for the info. I used this last summer on my K-100, and 140. I probably only had 4-5 runs on the 140, but did put 25+ flights on my sprint. Do I need to be concerned? My email address is Kmay21@ aol.com
Old 10-23-2013, 12:35 PM
marquisvns

Originally Posted by RCskunk
I'm glad that I just happened upon this thread about Aero 500 or I would not have heard anything about this oil issue. Does KingTech have any intention of officially informing its customers of this announcement? I registered my engine after purchase and I guess I thought that issues like this were the purpose of registration. Maybe they just got my e-mail wrong. Sorry for complaining if I missed it.
Sorry for the late reply, just saw this post, and you are exactly right, should have been done through email as well, we'll try to do better.

Regards,
Barry
Old 10-23-2013, 12:38 PM
marquisvns

Originally Posted by Kim Couturier
Barry, thanks for the info. I used this last summer on my K-100, and 140. I probably only had 4-5 runs on the 140, but did put 25+ flights on my sprint. Do I need to be concerned? My email address is Kmay21@ aol.com
I wouldn't worry too much about it Kim, our oil is known to be able to flush out coking, so if you are able to switch please do so. Dirk recently serviced a few more engines in for 25 hours, and clearly ones ran with KT oil had superior bearing preservation.

Regards,
Barry
Old 10-29-2013, 03:56 AM
mauryr

Hi Barry,
how about JASO-FC 2 strokes oil?
I have been running this: http://shop.oil-center.de/index.php/...x20-liter.html in my other engine (not a kingtech) and the bearings are clean after 8 hours of run time. There is some residue in the combustion chamber. Been mixing it 4% with diesel.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 AM
marquisvns

Hi Mauryr, Dirk recently had at least two engines ran with 2 stoke oil in for service, and he didn't like what he saw, the bearings were prematurely worn out at about 10th hour. Per his suggestion, we are looking into prohibit the use of 2 stroke oil as well.

Regards,
Barry
Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 AM
mauryr

Thank you Barry

Last edited by mauryr; 10-29-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:54 PM
marquisvns

Anytime Mauryr!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:31 PM
marquisvns

Just got info in on another engine, this time a K-100 with bearing noise ran only about 45 minutes with Aeroshell 500. With overwhelming precedence, Dirk suggests to have the user flush away the coking to restore bearings by running the engine with fuel mixed with KingTech Oil.

Reports will follow,

Regards,
Barry
Old 12-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Barry, do you still recomend the Mobil Jet Oil II ?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:07 PM
marquisvns

Originally Posted by Kenrico
Barry, do you still recomend the Mobil Jet Oil II ?
Mobil Jet II is acceptable, but like most other turbine oil and DTE don't have the performance of KingTech oil.

Regards,
Barry
Old 12-11-2013, 08:32 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Hi Barry do you know what the two stroke oil brand was that was causing the problems? I have tried several different oils in my snowmobiles and have noticed quite differrent results in the deposits on powervalves on the exhaust. Also there are some pretty well established failure patterns of bearings due to running full synthetic in snowmobiles. The theory is the oil runs off when not in use and there is very little corrosion protection or a film for startup left behind. Has anyone tried any of the 2stroke oils made specifIcally made for powervalve equipped engines? I was planning on running polaris ves synthetic oil in my k180 as it has performed very well and seems to leave virtually no deposits on the power valves plus this time of year I usually have acouple of 5 gallon pails around.

Last edited by 2walla; 12-11-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:10 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

2walla and all,

I just recieved yet another K-140 and the customer is running Amsoil Dominator 2 stroke oil. He has 16hrs on his turbine and the bearings are worn out already. He has some goopy tar like substance all over the back of the turbine from his oil. I don't understand why our customers are expermenting with 2 stroke inferior oils when we pay thousands of dollars to purchase a turbine. 2 stroke oil is designed for internal combustion piston engines that run at 200-250* F. Our turbine as you know runs at 400-650*C or 700-1200*F. It appears that the 2 stroke oil is vaporizing before it has a chance to lubricate the bearings properly.

I read how guys are saying they have 6-8hrs running 2 stroke oil and in their opinion all is fine when actually the real damage is just starting. The whole idea of using Turbine oil is to get a good 25hrs before servicing them, not 6- 10 hrs.

Better example, I get turbines in with 25+ hrs running KingTech oil & Diesel and the internals are very clean with no coking. I have told some customers running our oil to go to 35hrs and send it in for its next service. Our oil is extremly healthy for the bearings and they are lasting much longer.

To every one reading this, STOP USING AEROSHELL 500 & 2 STROKE OIL!!

Regards,
Dirk
KingTech Service
Old 12-13-2013, 07:15 AM
2walla

Hi Dirk Thanks, there is plenty of documentation on dominator gumming up in higher performance/temperature 2stroke applications and NOT having as good deposit properties of other oils as it is intended for racing apps where thigs are torn down regularly. Most two stroke oils have flash points well below 100c. (dominator is about 80c.) There are some that have much higher flash points that should be fine in a turbine. What 2stroke oils have you seen acceptable results with?
Old 12-14-2013, 08:59 AM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

2walla,

I have not had 1 turbine come in running 2 stroke oil that is acceptable yet. Everyone has been sent to us early for bearing noise and "WE ARE NO LONGER GOING TO WARRANTY BEARING FAILURE FOR USE OF 2 STROKE OIL"

You can purchase 2 gallons of KingTech Oil shipped domestiacally to your door for $90.00 or that is only $11.25 per QT.

Regards,

Dirk
KingTech Service
Old 12-14-2013, 04:42 PM
2walla

Oil for these turbines is an odd duck. The commercial turbine oils most are using are not intended to actually be burned with the fuel so using them and achieving success is a crap shoot at best. Seeing your own brand oil that appears to be based primarily on a hydraulic fluid seems to make sense as most hydraulic fluids have very high flash points and should stick around long enough to get to the rear bearing. Now the rub. Kingtech seems to have been grabbing a decent share of the market since 2009 with run diesel, run kerosene, run two stroke oil, run turbine oil, etc etc.. And now we get NO don't run two stroke oil? Just buy our oil and all will be good? So where were the failure reports in 2008,2009,2010,2012? Not being a hater, but it seems odd that now that you have you own oil for sale others products are a no no..
Old 12-14-2013, 06:21 PM
marquisvns

We have never approved the using of 2 stroke oil. Back in 2008 through 2012, we didn't have enough data to support it one way or the other. In fact, I remember suggesting individuals to sign up to try out different oils, including 2 stroke oils. Now we have enough cases to make a formal announcement to prohibit the use of 2 stroke oil and warranty will void for premature bearing failure.

2walla your understanding of our oil as to the "very high flash point" in relation to its merit is completely false, much like your understanding of the purpose of us promoting our oil. We promote the use of our oil simply because its proven and there's no other oils that come close after 25 hours (the cleanliness in the chamber with well lubed bearings), so much that we are looking into rating our oil for 30 hours for interval service.

You are the owner of your engine and you decide what oil to run. However, as a manufacturer, distributor and service center, we have a duty to report to you of our findings, which leads us to prohibit and void warranty on 2 stroke oils along with Aeroshell 500, all the best!

Barry
Old 12-14-2013, 07:18 PM
mtnflyer14

Wow, Walla Walla; what is it that you don't understand/can't comprehend? DON'T run AeroShell and DON'T run 2 stroke oil in your Kingtech! Actually, do exactly what you want and when your turbine goes back to Dirk and Barry and they say that the damage to your turbine is NOT under warranty, then perhaps you will get a clue.
Regards,
Gus
Old 12-23-2013, 06:02 AM
LARLAR

Barry/Dirk,

Do your dealers in Canada support the sale of KT Oil?My understanding is that its near impossible for a person
to order and have this product shipped to Canada. I now have a K-80F and K-140F for which I am looking to
use KT oil. I am uding BP 2380 now and is this acceptable?

Larry
Old 12-24-2013, 11:52 AM
marquisvns

Yes BP2380 is fine, and we are looking into Canadian dealer to stock KT oil,

Regards,
Barry
Old 12-25-2013, 10:41 AM
LARLAR

Thanks Barry! Happy Holidays
Old 03-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marquisvns
Yes BP2380 is fine, and we are looking into Canadian dealer to stock KT oil,

Regards,
Barry
So its 3 months later. I was just wondering about the Canadian KT oil situation. Our flying season is just around the corner and I sure would like to use the KT oil after seeing some comparison photos

Thanks
Old 05-02-2014, 06:00 PM
marquisvns

Those comparison is genuine. Aeroshell 500 will destroy a KT, glad to announce we have Canadian dealership all sorted out, please see post number 4: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/king...or-kt-oil.html

Regards,
Barry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.