Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 11:46 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John_M_
We are the "Hells Angles" of the RC scale cub world... time to get a new tat of a piper cub crashing through a heart with a snake wrapped around it... under it the words "Live to Fly"

John M,
But unlike the HA's when we try to call a gathering of brother's everyone is too busy or can't afford the travel. I for one still think's that (a gathering) would be way cool.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:56 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

When I get my current Cub and the proposed Biper Cub done, deal me in.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you guys referring to the Aeroworks Carbon Cub?.... be careful about over powering it... there's a thread posted in one of the forums here, where someone over power theirs and induced wing flutter and the wing struts pull out of the wings.

White and yellow one would look nice!

John M,
Yes the AW Carbon Cub. Many guys have been putting 150's in them. When the plane was designed it was done so the 150 would fit without mods. Most do add strength to the engine box though. I have seen guys rip off the wings with only a 120 on. It all depends how you treat it. The early ones did have a problem with the wing strut attachments pulling out causing the wings to rip off. The struts are functional and it will not fly without them. With a 150 they make fantastic giant scale glider tug. BTW I ordered the red one. It will be my third cub. I already have a 40% blue/white Hempel Cub and a yellow 50cc AW Sport Cub.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:01 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ace, it would be great to all get together to fly, but airfare isn't cheap, especially when you haul your plane and flight gear around... by car, it all depends where the lo cal is, 3 days by car is a stinker for me... plus it takes away from what I can sink into the hobby, I've already over spent on my budget with 2 engines, so I'm on a leash for a while... I've been bad, lol.

Super08, as long as you are aware of it, is all that matters... the red is nice... its a shame they don't offer any other colors, I fancy yellow for some reason.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 10-06-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:18 PM
Super08

I like the Yellow/silver scheme on the real Carbon Cub. Don't know if you have seen it.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:23 PM
misha034

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi to all CUB brothers, this is my Piper J3 Cub 1/4 (25%) scale, made from my drawings and built of course, by me.
I think that it is one of rare Cub-s that have fuselage lines real thing (wide in the middle).

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/mi...ml?sort=3&o=56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2p4EikelOs&list=UUriZtahXmmijX49maYGZYhQ
Old 10-06-2014, 01:44 PM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Hey misha034, that's one cool lookin' cub.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Super08

Yes, very nice kit you have made!

I bet you could sell those.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:27 PM
John_M_

Originally Posted by Super08
I like the Yellow/silver scheme on the real Carbon Cub. Don't know if you have seen it.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the yellow and silver... that's a good combination as well.

Originally Posted by misha034
Hi to all CUB brothers, this is my Piper J3 Cub 1/4 (25%) scale, made from my drawings and built of course, by me.
I think that it is one of rare Cub-s that have fuselage lines real thing (wide in the middle).
Very nice looking design misha034... interlocking laser cut parts, very hi quality... and she flies very well indeed.

John M,
Old 10-06-2014, 04:10 PM
mnemennth

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The Cub Brotherhood is sitting at 236 now?! That's a lot of miscreants in one spot!!
Hey! I resemble that remark!

We are the "Hells Angles" of the RC scale cub world... time to get a new tat of a piper cub crashing through a heart with a snake wrapped around it... under it the words "Live to Fly"

John M,
Fly to LIVE!

Originally Posted by acerc
But unlike the HA's when we try to call a gathering of brother's everyone is too busy or can't afford the travel. I for one still think's that (a gathering) would be way cool.
Yeah... when I win the Lottery, we'll have a Fly-In Breakfast at the airport in my little hometown in East Nowhere. Airfare on me.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the yellow and silver... that's a good combination as well.

Very nice looking design misha034... interlocking laser cut parts, very hi quality... and she flies very well indeed.

John M,
Yeah... I hate to think of the hours on the drafting table; much less the building table. Hats off tooya, Misha! Well done! And the right color too!

mnem
I bleed Cub Yellow.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:28 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Great looking design Misha!
Old 10-07-2014, 05:39 AM
Ultimateflying

Very Nice Misha034.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:08 AM
misha034

Thank you all for your kind words. It means a lot when it comes from Cub people.
I am considering to make Short kit of this plane (2psc are already sold), or to sell only plans.
First I want to make sure that everything is working ok, and that there is no error in construction.
I have order to make 1/4 Super Cub plans, so that version will be finished soon.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

Misha034 I like your line I think that it is one of rare Cub-s that have fuselage lines real thing (wide in the middle).. Very true in most all cubs I have seen. This is due to ease in building. Most all are a square box under the wing then it tapers off.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Ultimateflying

Originally Posted by misha034
Thank you all for your kind words. It means a lot when it comes from Cub people.
I am considering to make Short kit of this plane (2psc are already sold), or to sell only plans.
First I want to make sure that everything is working ok, and that there is no error in construction.
I have order to make 1/4 Super Cub plans, so that version will be finished soon.
I would definatly consider buying a short kit!!
That looks awesome!!
Old 10-08-2014, 11:41 AM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Beautiful looking J-3. Do u have pics of the landing gear? Did u make your own or used e.g. Robarts?
I have the Hangar 9 1/4 J-3 with an OS Gemini FT 1.60 with a 16x8 APC prop although I would like to try an 17 or 18x6.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:10 PM
misha034

I draw my plans in dimensions that fit H9 landing gear. H9 landing gear has 2 springs (hidden under black protective bags) on both sides, and they absorb any harder landing very well.

Last edited by misha034; 10-10-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:14 PM
misha034

Also it was very hard form me to find material for struts in my country, so H9 struts fits too.

And, I must say, that both are good quality for money. I could not make them for money they cost.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:04 AM
rafeeki

Misha,
They are very good until you make a several bounce landing. I did that on my H9 cub and as expected the springs extend beyond their range. Thats when u need to replace them. This is the link to the replacement springs which are available. http://www.horizonhobby.com/landing-...-3-cub-han4573
By the way, a set consists of 4 springs.

Best and heres to a no bounce landings.

Rafeek

Last edited by rafeeki; 10-11-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added note
Old 10-11-2014, 01:07 PM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by rafeeki
Misha,
They are very good until you make a several bounce landing. I did that on my H9 cub and as expected the springs extend beyond their range. Thats when u need to replace them. This is the link to the replacement springs which are available. http://www.horizonhobby.com/landing-...-3-cub-han4573
By the way, a set consists of 4 springs.

Best and heres to a no bounce landings.

Rafeek
Both true value and ace hardware have spring selections. Perhaps one of those would be suitable as a replacement for the H9 springs. The material quality may be better also? McMaster-Carr also have springs, but then you get into shipping costs, as you do with Horizon.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:45 PM
John_M_

Misha, I put a set of H9 j3 struts on my cub as well... they worked out nicely... but I took the male threaded ends out and redid the strut ends with female threads on the strut ends... don't ask why, because it ended up being a lot of work, I just didn't like the thread fit of those aluminum clevis ends.

rafeeki / spaceworm... switching to actual 1/8" bungee cord works very well... its just a bit of a fiddle to get the initial length and tension set right for the weight of the aircraft, but once you get it right, they work a treat.

Also you guys have seen my comments regarding the differences between the landing gear width of the arms on the hangar 9 verses the robart 1/4 scale landing gear... I borrowed one of Misha's images (hope he doesn't mind) so I could better illustrate what I was referring too... the Hangar 9 dimension is within scale, based on measurements I took off a real cub at our local GA airport.

John M,
Old 10-12-2014, 04:44 AM
spaceworm

Also you guys have seen my comments regarding the differences between the landing gear width of the arms on the hangar 9 verses the robart 1/4 scale landing gear... I borrowed one of Misha's images (hope he doesn't mind) so I could better illustrate what I was referring too... the Hangar 9 dimension is within scale, based on measurements I took off a real cub at our local GA airport.

John M,
I have the "original" fabric covered 1/4 H9 J3. Is the "scale" LG the same on the current fabric film/fabric covered versions? If you post some critical dimensions of the current version, I will compare them to mine. Sincerely, Richard/Cub B'Hood #187
Old 10-12-2014, 10:57 AM
rafeeki

To John, Misha and all Cub officianados,
Does anyone use a differential aileron setting? Are your ailerons set to difflect the same amount both up & down? What if I set them more up and less down or less up then down, what would happen?
How can I make it make flat/flatter turns? Sometimes the steep banking scares me.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

I do have differential setup on mine. Adding rudder will help in turns. Also I do feel that adding scale ailerons also help.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:37 PM
John_M_

Originally Posted by spaceworm
I have the "original" fabric covered 1/4 H9 J3. Is the "scale" LG the same on the current fabric film/fabric covered versions? If you post some critical dimensions of the current version, I will compare them to mine. Sincerely, Richard/Cub B'Hood #187
I have the H9 Super Cub... the arm width is the same on both the current H9 1/4 scale J3 and Super Cub, which is 5 3/8"... there is a difference in the width across the fuselage side to side, as the Super Cub is a bit wider... on the current H9 Super Cub gear, from the right hand side gear pivot center, across to the left side gear pivot center, measures 6 5/8"... on the current H9 J3, I believe its the same width as the Robart gear or 6 5/16" from the right hand side gear pivot center, across to the left side gear pivot center. (see attached image).

Originally Posted by rafeeki
To John, Misha and all Cub officianados,
Does anyone use a differential aileron setting? Are your ailerons set to difflect the same amount both up & down? What if I set them more up and less down or less up then down, what would happen?
How can I make it make flat/flatter turns? Sometimes the steep banking scares me.
Its preferred with a flat bottom wing to have differential... I set my sig cub up as per the plans with aileron differential... more up aileron than down... at that time it was done via the linkage through the servo arm, but now with the computer radios, you can set up aileron differential in the transmitter.

To get flatter turns you mix rudder and aileron to make coordinated turns; so when you make a right bank; you add a little right aileron, and a little right rudder... left banks, a little left aileron, and a little left rudder... it will also keeps the tail from dropping in tight / steep turns... just practice the amount of aileron / rudder mix to get the turn style you want... after you're comfortable with the concept, you can mix it in your transmitter so you don't have to think about it; but I like to fly the sticks, so the only mixing I may do is when it comes to using flaps and keeping the nose at the right attitude on approach for landing.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 10-12-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.