Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:12 PM
lfd47
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I just finished my first Kadet LT-40 arf. I wanted to do something that is easy to see and would catch the eye of new students to our club. It has a Saito 56 and 4" dubro tires.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2276.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	2097249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2277.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	2097250  
Old 05-19-2015, 07:12 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Originally Posted by michaelnel
Too bad I didn't discover it until I turned 65. Not all that many years left, so I am learning as fast as I can!
Quality not Quantity my friend

Also please keep coming with the flight reports. Takes me back a little....love it.

Last edited by BigTeeEldorado; 05-19-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:14 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Originally Posted by lfd47
Hi guys, I just finished my first Kadet LT-40 arf. I wanted to do something that is easy to see and would catch the eye of new students to our club. It has a Saito 56 and 4" dubro tires.
Mission accomplished I'd say!!
Old 05-20-2015, 02:40 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There's no such thing as "just flying the pattern" - that's the basis for EVERYTHING else in flying and when you can do it well, you're well on your way to becoming an addict like the rest of us. AND you've got a takeoff & landing (both successful) logged - I'd say you're doing just fine!

Don't worry about the "65" thing - doesn't mean a thing.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:47 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Too bad I didn't discover it until I turned 65. Not all that many years left, so I am learning as fast as I can!
The retired guys are among the most active pilots in my club. We fly nearly every day. The experience level varies, from beginner to contest pattern fliers.

The idea is to have fun. By starting at 65, you need to have extra fun, in orde to catch up. LOL
Old 05-20-2015, 05:33 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I started the hobby when I was a kid and got into R/C flying as a sophomore in high school. I took a break when I got married and started having kids. I cam back in 2004 at age 46. To cut to the chase the "Learning" part NEVER EVER stops! I build because I like too the only ARF I have ever owned was a Graupner foamy Junker JU-52.

Mike
Old 05-20-2015, 06:33 AM
9ballvalk
My Feedback: (13)

Beautiful job...definitely stands out!!

Originally Posted by lfd47
Old 05-20-2015, 04:18 PM
Live Wire

Hello every body just checking in to make sure every one is in line. I see the young guys are still flying at 65 . I have been on a break so lost track of what is going on looks like every one is doing fine. keep em flying.
Larry K
Old 05-21-2015, 05:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

We keep getting new airplanes in here all time and they all are fantastic to look at too!
Old 05-25-2015, 11:12 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thought I'd post a progress report on my LT-40. I have the wing, tail surfaces and all control surfaces covered. The fuselages is still naked. I still have more to do on the fuselage and install the radio gear, landing gear n engine. I'll have to wait a bit on the engine. So far it all weighs 3 lbs. 3 ozs. So I'm thinking it may fall in the 5.5 to 6.5 range. I'm getting excited about this plane.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2098508  
Old 05-25-2015, 11:24 AM
michaelnel

Nice progress! What did you cover it with?

You are way ahead of me. I have the wings on my LT-40 kit built and the fuse constructed, but I need to take it over to a very experienced friend's house who is going to show me how to do dual in-the-wing servos for the ailerons and to construct a wing holddown system with 1/4-20 nylon screws instead of the rubber band setup.

I am planning to cover mine with fabric and paint it up so it looks like my Blue & Gold Macaw "Chico". Blue on the top, bright yellow on the bottom, with a black beak and white face, and green on the hatch.

Well, it'll be different! ;-)

This is Chico, waving at you:

Last edited by michaelnel; 05-25-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:55 PM
ETpilot

michaelnel, I covered mine with Sig Koverall using STIK-IT and dope. I'm using dual aileron servos too. If you haven't done so, you may want to consider a wing tube for your servo wiring to snake thru. I put some in my wing. I'm also going to use the wing hold down screws. I beefed up the trailing edge where the screws will penetrate.

I haven't thought up a paint scheme. I have some latex paint I used on a couple of other planes so I may use what is left over with some type of paint scheme. Visibility of the plane in the air is my concern. You paint scheme sounds great. I look forward to seeing it when your plane is completed.

Good luck with your build. I'm waving at Chico too.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:56 PM
michaelnel

Wow, your fuse looks a lot different than mine. Yours is all stick construction but mine is light ply. Did you build yours from an older kit? Mine is a new kit, I wonder if they switched to the light ply fuse recently?

EDIT: Never mind. Looked back through your previous posts in this thread and I see you are building it from scratch. Nicely done!

Last edited by michaelnel; 05-26-2015 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:13 PM
skylark-flier

ET, that covering looks GOOD! I did the same koverall, stixit and SIG dope covering with my Stratus, and in colors not all that far away from Chico (I'm waving too) - met. maroon, yellow, blue and black in the cockpit. Actually, final yellow coat went on the wings just today and I'm cutting out my numbers & letters over the next couple days. I'm thinking I might just have her in the air within the next week or so.

Hoping so anyway.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:21 AM
michaelnel

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
ET, that covering looks GOOD! I did the same koverall, stixit and SIG dope covering with my Stratus, and in colors not all that far away from Chico (I'm waving too) - met. maroon, yellow, blue and black in the cockpit. Actually, final yellow coat went on the wings just today and I'm cutting out my numbers & letters over the next couple days. I'm thinking I might just have her in the air within the next week or so.

Hoping so anyway.
Looking forward to seeing pictures to see what you do with that mix of colors.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:17 AM
FlyerInOKC

Michaelnel, Chico is a good looking bird, I hope he doesn't get jealous of the LT-40? Maybe he fall in love with it too!
Old 05-26-2015, 12:24 PM
skylark-flier

Looking forward to seeing pictures to see what you do with that mix of colors.
Hey Michael - here she was a few days ago. Since this pic the wings got their yellow AND lettering is on them. Still haven't gotten a pic of it at that point yet.

Name:	100_1996-yard.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	2098765   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1998-yard.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	2098766  
Old 05-26-2015, 05:16 PM
ETpilot

Well the Texas weather passed thru last night. Straight line winds, heavy downpour and a reported tornado 30 miles or so north of me. I got 3 inches of rain in the 45minutes to an hour it took the system to pass thru. Lost power at 7:30PM got it back today at 4PM. This morning I made coffee on the BBQ grill and set up my generator for the duration. Not much to do around my place SO I worked on my LT-40 build.

I worked on the fuselage. Filled in the dents. Made the windscreen, hatch, gas tank shelf, reinforced the firewall- engine mount. Still need to pin the firewall. Installed the wing servos and assembled plane for a preliminary check of the CG with simulated engine weight. Boy was I surprised, the plane balanced perfect. So putting in the radio and other gear should not pose too much of a balance problem. this plane is slowly coming together.

michaelnel, thanks for the compliment. It has been an interesting build. Looking forward to finishing it.

Skylark-flier, your plane looks beautiful. You will be able to see that plane in the air. I've been following your build thread. Nice plane and a really good build. Fabric and dope is all I have ever used. I think for my next build I may try an iron on type.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:01 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sorry to hear you got hit again ETpilot! At least you got some quality build time out of the deal.

I lucked out went just east of me on all three storms. They are predicting today to be a carbon copy of yesterday so I'm hoping to get luck twice. We broke the all time rain total for any single month on record and the month's not over yet. I think I have moss growing on my toes!

Mike
Old 05-28-2015, 12:56 PM
ETpilot

Mike, it has been one heck of a rainy season. The rain has been hitting us since January. Many inches of rain this season. I've been building a storage building but rain kept putting the build time off. I got mildew build up on the frame work. I had to treat the mildew as I enclosed the building. Now it is weather proof but I have plastic covering the door openings. Too wet to put up siding n build the doors. We always need rain but not this much in such a short period of time. I've gotten my lawn mower and truck stuck twice. Today I almost got my tractor stuck. Ground wet n soft. And yes, there is more rain to come. One heck of a rainy season.

I just decided to get back into RC flying last June. Not much flying time. I built a Spad Debonair and crashed it first flight. Just recently I got with an instructor and had a good long flight. Instructor never had to take over. So I felt very good. The weather has kept me building. So far 4 planes. The crashed Debonair, a rebuilt Debonair, an Ugly Stik and the LT-40 I am building. These should keep me busy if we ever get good flying weather. Next build will be a nice low wing.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:51 PM
skylark-flier

Geez, you guys just keep getting hit time and time again - makes me glad I'm on the east coast where the biggest thing we have to contend with it HUMIDITY! The air around here is so wet that just this morning I saw a fish hitch-hiking on the main hwy (just kidding - not QUITE that bad).

Just stay safe.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:53 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't think this guy was thumbing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaYsNgxqy6Q Ken
Old 05-29-2015, 04:32 AM
FlyerInOKC

We broke 20 inches for the month several days ago.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:57 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah the only thing more crazy than a long drought is catching up OVER NIGHT ! Sometimes it takes some crazy swings to make average. I hope all the SIG builders out there are keeping their kits dry, and the airplanes HIGH !
Old 05-31-2015, 09:17 AM
Pork Chop
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by ETpilot
Mike, it has been one heck of a rainy season. The rain has been hitting us since January. Many inches of rain this season. I've been building a storage building but rain kept putting the build time off. I got mildew build up on the frame work. I had to treat the mildew as I enclosed the building. Now it is weather proof but I have plastic covering the door openings. Too wet to put up siding n build the doors. We always need rain but not this much in such a short period of time. I've gotten my lawn mower and truck stuck twice. Today I almost got my tractor stuck. Ground wet n soft. And yes, there is more rain to come. One heck of a rainy season.

I just decided to get back into RC flying last June. Not much flying time. I built a Spad Debonair and crashed it first flight. Just recently I got with an instructor and had a good long flight. Instructor never had to take over. So I felt very good. The weather has kept me building. So far 4 planes. The crashed Debonair, a rebuilt Debonair, an Ugly Stik and the LT-40 I am building. These should keep me busy if we ever get good flying weather. Next build will be a nice low wing.
My prayers go out to all of you down there who have been hammered by the rain. It sounds like things are letting up this week thank God! I'm in the opposite boat up here in Northern California, we have seen little to none this year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.