Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 09:50 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by malitape
Congrats on the win. I agree, nice looking Kadet. You gave me an idea about modding the nose. I really like that
I think Fiberglass Specialties carries the cowling for a number of Kadets, which speaks well for it's popularity.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:04 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Rip!! That's absolutely OUTSTANDING flying, taking out a Sr Falcon. There's no way I would have expected a Kadet to do something like that. Congratulations!!!

Hmmmm, might be time to think about replacing my original 3-channel
Mark-1 Kadet. These new ones must be something else.

Dave
Old 09-30-2013, 12:09 PM
nextofkin
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations
If anyone is in NC a Kadet LT-40 is for sale on Cragslist and yes it is my plane ready to fly less than 7 months old and flown very little.
nextofkin
Old 09-30-2013, 12:20 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by [FONT=comic sans ms
Hmmmm, might be time to think about replacing my original 3-channel[/FONT] Mark-1 Kadet. These new ones must be something else.
Dave
Dave, surely you jest! You don't replace a Kadet you just add another one to the hanger!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:27 PM
ripacheco

Thanks for the congrats... I was surprised the Kadet performed so well on the contest... There was talk to challenge the advanced Pattern flyers (the NSRCA president was there) to try flying their sequences using the planes we used
we all had a lot of fun and it was fun looking at the hard-core pattern flyers see us compete in our category.

Normally we use this Kadet for training.

A more "mission appropriate" use of this Kadet:

Last edited by ripacheco; 09-30-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

Three fine looking future aviators there!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 PM
FLAPSDOWN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Gary,

I too would like to be part of the Kadet Brotherhood. Here's my story.

I began RC by building a Kadet in the winter of '72 when I was 9. It was my big Christmas gift. We painted it the red & black Kadet scheme with silver pin stripes, silk and dope, and used a Fox .19. It was later replaced with an Enya 29. My Dad was learning to fly proportional at the same time on a Falcon 56 he started to build in the mid 60's. I remember him mixing talc with dope to make a sanding sealer/filler. He was old school flying control line through reeds in the 40's, 50's and 60's.

I remember how I cut the picture of the Kadet off the box top and propped it up on my dresser. I read the instruction manual in bed almost every night planning the next day's build activities. It was a dream for me to build an RC plane. I would get yelled at for climbing the TV aerial to launch Testors rubber band planes from the roof of our 2 story house. My Mom was happy I'd be doing something to keep me on the ground.

I moved on to a Kommander, a Jensen Ugly Stik, a Kaos 60 and pattern competition with a Dirty Birdy. Always Enya engines and Kraft radios. On to scale building every Dave Platt, Top Flite, and a fair number of Royal WW2 .60 sized models. We'd hit a scale contest almost every weekend in the Mid West. I now build classic pattern and Giant Scale and all of it started with a Sig Kadet. We sold it at a swap meet years later and I regret the day I did. I wish it was hanging in my den with a couple of my Dad's control line scale models I've kept.

So now modern day. I stumbled across this site checking to see if there's a build thread for an original Sig Kadet. I collect RC kits, it's an obsession, and pulled one of my three original Kadet kits out of storage and started building it with my 9 year old daughter this past Sunday. She's thrilled. I have a NIB vintage OS .35 and am thinking about getting one of my Kraft radios updated. She asks question after question and tells her cousins, "Daddy and I are going to cover it with Japanese silk".

I'm not sure the best forum for a Kadet build thread, RC Kit Building? I really appreciate you forming the brotherhood. It immediately took me back to my RC roots. It also makes me sad in a way. Things are not the same. Building is becoming extinct and popularity is shrinking. The clubs I grew up with were large, popular, well attended and filled with activities. I've seen so many people put together an ARF and quickly realize they're not as easy to fly as they think. They move on to another hobby.

Any way, thanks again and best regards.

Bill aka Flapsdown
Old 10-01-2013, 12:24 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by FLAPSDOWN
Hi Gary,

I'm not sure the best forum for a Kadet build thread, RC Kit Building? I really appreciate you forming the brotherhood. It immediately took me back to my RC roots. It also makes me sad in a way. Things are not the same. Building is becoming extinct and popularity is shrinking. The clubs I grew up with were large, popular, well attended and filled with activities. I've seen so many people put together an ARF and quickly realize they're not as easy to fly as they think. They move on to another hobby.

Any way, thanks again and best regards.

Bill aka Flapsdown
Bill, the best place would probably be Kit Building but speaking for everyone here as long as you post we will come!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:04 PM
skylark-flier

Hey Bill - You're IN!! #107 is all yours

Silk, dope, talc, C/L, Enya's & Krafts - you're talking MY league now. This is the stuff of my life, and probably a whole lot more guys & gals around here too.

I'm with Flyer. We're here.

Dave
Old 10-02-2013, 05:38 AM
FlyerInOKC

OK seems we're feeling nostalgic here. I will confess I have an old narrow band 72 mhz transmitter in the garage I am making a new battery pack and installing a charging jack in case I decide to use it.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:28 AM
ripacheco

Default NEW KADET To be released soon...

SIG posting on Facebook:

"SIG will be announcing some exciting news about a new rendition of the KADET SENIOR in the next few days. Stay tuned to this page."

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SIG-M...55006604526046
Old 10-04-2013, 05:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by ripacheco
SIG posting on Facebook:

"SIG will be announcing some exciting news about a new rendition of the KADET SENIOR in the next few days. Stay tuned to this page."

I hope it's a kit and not another lame ARF!
Old 10-04-2013, 07:11 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I will be anxious to see the news from sig, maybe its a Giant 120 inch version or something?
I have been scratch building some simple wheel fairings, I am HOPING to bury some LEDs in them to light the bottom of the plane for night flying.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foodstick
I will be anxious to see the news from sig, maybe its a Giant 120 inch version or something?
I have been scratch building some simple wheel fairings, I am HOPING to bury some LEDs in them to light the bottom of the plane for night flying.
When night flying the best solution to lights I have found was one on the top tip of the wing and another on the bottom 1 rib bay in from the tip with one at the very rear of the rudder and one at the center top of the cabin area. The wing set up that way allows you to drag the tip and not destroy the lights and the rest permits you can see it in any attitude. Many folks use transparent moneycote and lights inside, but some of us think that is kind of lame.

However, if you can see it and understand what you are seeing, you can control it. Just remember "red, right, returning" and go have fun. Stall turns look awesome at night but what really wows them is snaps and spins.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:12 PM
skylark-flier

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
When night flying the best solution to lights I have found was one on the top tip of the wing and another on the bottom 1 rib bay in from the tip with one at the very rear of the rudder and one at the center top of the cabin area. The wing set up that way allows you to drag the tip and not destroy the lights and the rest permits you can see it in any attitude. Many folks use transparent moneycote and lights inside, but some of us think that is kind of lame.

However, if you can see it and understand what you are seeing, you can control it. Just remember "red, right, returning" and go have fun. Stall turns look awesome at night but what really wows them is snaps and spins.
Now you guys are getting my "curiosity" bone all a-tinglin'. I've heard of night-light flying but, being pretty much the only flier within 40 miles, I haven't seen it yet. You're making me want to actually set-up some lights and see what I can see. Definitely sounds like a rather interesting challenge.

Now remember, you're talking to an old man who can just manage to get the VCR recording right.
We're talking about LEDs, yes? As little as I know about LEDs, they're kinda mono-directional. How well do you see them at various angles. I like Jim's set-up BUT, is there a reason NOT to add a short string along the bottom of the fuse also? Finally, (for the most simplistic questions that I can think of right off) is there some kind of circuitry necessary and where might I find it?

FlyerInOKC - ALL my transmitters are still 72 Mhz, 4 are the OLD 72's with the twin-color ribbons (all Krafts). ... Yeah, I'm THAT old (or so, it sometimes seems). Anyway, those 4 oldies are the transmitters for my oldest planes (Kadet Mark-1, Sr Falcon, Skylark and Ercoupe).
Old 10-04-2013, 01:35 PM
pd1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a night flyer,an original Sig Kadet. I used the LED strips from Hobby City, I have 4 strips running on the top of my wing along the border of the sunburst colors. I also have a strip on each side of the fuselage and one on the top of the fuselage and onto the stab.
Some green ones running on the bottom of the wing and some white ones along the bottom.

There are a total of 420 LEDs that run off a separate battery pack. Don't turn the lights on in a dark room.

The recommendation I would make is I would use more white lights on the bottom of the plane. When you are landing the ground is lit up if you have a lot of white lights on the bottom. Makes landing real easy.The self adhesive LED strips are very easy to install and only a 12 volt power supply is needed.

I'll try to get some pictures with the lights on if anyone wants.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Now you guys are getting my "curiosity" bone all a-tinglin'. I've heard of night-light flying but, being pretty much the only flier within 40 miles, I haven't seen it yet. You're making me want to actually set-up some lights and see what I can see. Definitely sounds like a rather interesting challenge.

Now remember, you're talking to an old man who can just manage to get the VCR recording right.
We're talking about LEDs, yes? As little as I know about LEDs, they're kinda mono-directional. How well do you see them at various angles. I like Jim's set-up BUT, is there a reason NOT to add a short string along the bottom of the fuse also? Finally, (for the most simplistic questions that I can think of right off) is there some kind of circuitry necessary and where might I find it?

FlyerInOKC - ALL my transmitters are still 72 Mhz, 4 are the OLD 72's with the twin-color ribbons (all Krafts). ... Yeah, I'm THAT old (or so, it sometimes seems). Anyway, those 4 oldies are the transmitters for my oldest planes (Kadet Mark-1, Sr Falcon, Skylark and Ercoupe).
As long as you can ALWAYS tell the attitude of the airframe, any thing is ok. In other words, if you think it will work better for you have at it. The ONLY caveats I will provide are what NOT to do, and I think there are 3.

1. Do not think you can see the wings that have a light shining at them - distance fixes that and makes it impossible to tell what you are looking at. You gotta remember that when it is dark, you are only flying the points of light and your mind connects the dots into an airframe. Well, you hope.

2. Do not provide a landing light that shines forward because it will blind you as you turn final and that sucks.

3. Do not put the lights on the RX battery - ever! I personally don't even like to have the light switch attached to a servo to turn it on or off - mistakes happen and I assure you it was VERY INTERESTING but not fun.

There I was looking for the flaps when the fireworks display started in the background and I got the wrong switch. After much confusion, I surrendered and cut the power and took whatever the results were going to be. The next morning we found it had landed right next to a lake. Charged up and went flying that afternoon. That night removed the servo that controlled the switch and moved the switch.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:19 AM
pd1

Here are a few pictures of my Kadet as a night flyer. I took the pictures in my garage in total darkness, all the light is from the plane.
If you have enough of the LED strips there is no problem with orientation

Last edited by pd1; 10-05-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:21 PM
skylark-flier

I like the set-up, yeah. Just how much weight are we talking here, lights & power supply?
Old 10-06-2013, 04:21 AM
pd1

This is my first night flyer so I am not the best person for advice.

Here is a whole forum on night flyers.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=236

I used the strips from Hobby City They are listed under... Robots & DIY .
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_diy-led.html

They now show three different colors on one strip, The ones I used had only one color per strip.
The LEDs are grouped on the strip in threes to let you use a 12 volt power supply. Each group of three is in parallel to the next so the voltage requirement remains the same. I used an old 3 cell lipo I had. 1,500Mah I think.
If you look at my top right wing, I knocked one LED off the plane loading the plane in darkness, two other LEDs now don't light, that's why the gap, but the rest still function.
The battery I used weighs about 3 ounces
You can cut down the strip after three LEDs and provisions are there for soldering wire to the strips. Old servo wires works good.
So you can link the strips and move the lights around pretty easily. I have six strips on my plane to make 12 rows.

The strips aren't that heavy, a guess is about an ounce each.
I think the total weight gain was about a half pound. The Kadet handles the extra weight like it wasn't even there.

Paul

Last edited by pd1; 10-06-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:03 AM
malitape
My Feedback: (213)

Paul,
Did you buy that cowl or is it home made? If you bought it, where?
Old 10-06-2013, 10:01 AM
pd1

Originally Posted by malitape
Paul,
Did you buy that cowl or is it home made? If you bought it, where?
In the first picture, with the plane outside, the cowl is the original from the kit, cut for the glow engine.
The cowl in the night flyer shots is a cowl I stole from a Kadet MK II kit I had downstairs.

I still have the glow engine cut cowl if anyone wants it. I've tried to give it away before, but it just keeps coming back.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:45 PM
scttsprg

Gary, count me in. I have two Kadet Srs. One is built and one is on the bench. I am almost ready to cover it. I have a four stroke FA 72 I fitted onto it. I can't wait to maiden it. I also have a top flite 182 Skylane and a Super Cub (both are park flyers) and they are fun to mess around with. I have one small T-28 which is quick and light and also fun to monkey with. But my heart is in my Kadets.

Scott
Old 10-08-2013, 08:10 PM
skylark-flier

Scott, welcome to RC Universe!! I see that we've got your FIRST post. Gotta tell ya, you've got some classy planes there. I've always had a thing for 182's and I have my own GP Cub that I love - and 2 Kadet Srs!!! I'm impressed!!

BTW, YOU'RE IN - #108.

The full list, as I have it:

GaryHarris. Number 1.
soarrich. Number 2.
N1EDM. Number 3.
Live Wire. Number 4.
5skyhawk172. Number 5.
zippome. Number 6.
shepard62 . Number 7.
GraemeEllis . Number 8.
archie05 . Number 9.
tomgreen. Number 10.
n2ryd. Number 11.
race61. Number 12.
Slavko. Number 13.
lkruse. Number 14.
flyingagin. Number 15.
JPNYGAARD. Number 16.
foodstick. Number 17.
ovationdave. Number 18.
joebahl. Number 19.
WI53072. Number 20.
huck1199. Number 21.
Top_Gunn. Number 22.
Nergall. NUmber 23.
acdii. Number 24.
hutchis. Number 25.
ddewey. Number 26.
dhal22. Number 27.
Thomas Pham. Number 28.
cubkadet. Number 29.
Greg Davis. Number 30.
CanDo. Number 31.
gva1956. Number 32.
metaldriver. Number 33.
Bladejunkie. Number 34.
New222. Number 35.
cubflyman . Number 36.
dasquirrelisme. Number 37.
Planejaw. Number 38.
usc1990. Number 39.
cjet. Number 40.
Murphey. Number 41.
Sandyt. Number 42.
planedriver_2. Number 43.
PT19. Number 44.
TimHendrix. Number 45.
jessiej. Number 46.
Mr-Punk. Number 47.
rccrasher65. Number 48.
FMAY. Number 49.
Hrannar. Number 50
Razor44. NUmber 51.
Ken Kehlet. Number 52.
oldfartpilot. Number 53.
Soaring Steve. Number 54.
freefall2907. Number 55.
fix-n-fly. Number 56.
SigMan. Number 57.
eroc144. Number 58.
nextofkin. Number 59.
ALT. Number 60.
jstyle13. Number 61.
WYDAH. Number 62.
stupidscreenname. Number 63.
coxco. Number 64.
TunnelBill. Number 65.
mike109 . Number 66.
beevo. Number 67.
Lowvoltage. Number 68.
skylark-flier. Number 69.
hugh durden. Number 70.
Cloud Cruiser. Number 71.
SIGPlanes. Number 72.
rexperk. Number 73.
M. Boesen. Number 74.
whatwheel. Number 75.
paulhold. Number 77.
groundstrike. Number 78.
adreliable661. Number 79.
earlwb. Number 80.
Unclebuck21228. Number 81.
malitape. Number 82.
Dave Holmes. Number 83.
Carlos G. Number 84.
kingranch. Number 85.
Red Kadet. Number 86.
dirtrod. Number 87.
t4. Number 88.
FlyerInOKC. Number 89.
DELTAFLY. Number 90.
sharpe917. Number 91.
jollyroger. Number 92.
Cliffc. Number 93.
captinjohn. Number 95.
spaceworm. Number 96.
EvanB. Number 97.
Major Tomski. Number 98.
Jim Branaum. Number 99.
WLM189. Number 100.
skyraider71. Number 101.
rc lifer. Number 102.
NM2K. Number 103.
terrysigcolt. Number 104.
plane-o-joe. Number 105.
BobFE. Number 106.
FLAPSDOWN. Number 107.
Scttsprg. Number 108.

If I have missed anyone, let me know, PLEASE

Dave
Old 10-14-2013, 09:02 AM
ripacheco

Default Great news from sig

FINALLY AN UPDATE !!!

Sounds interesting to me...

SPECIFICATIONS
Wing Span: 78 in.
Wing Area: 1148 sq. in.
Length: 65 in.
Flying Weight: 8 - 8.5 lbs.
Wing Loading: 12.0 - 13.0 oz./sq.ft.
Radio: 4-Channel with 5 Standard Servos
Glow Power:
.40-.53 cu.in. (6.5-8.7 cc) 2-Stroke Engine
.50-.61 cu.in. (8.1-10 cc) 4-Stroke Engine
Electric Power:
Brushless Outrunner Motor (600-1100w; 500-800kv)
60-75A Speed Control (ESC)
4-6S 4000-5000 mah Lipo Battery Pack

Tentative delivery date for the new KADET SENIOR SPORT is sometime in January. Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.