Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Spacewalker II 1/4 scale

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Spacewalker II 1/4 scale

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:50 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VincentJ
Nice story Leroy, proof that even as we age we can get satisfation from this great hobby of ours. Before I started building, if I couldn't get out and fly because of bad weather I used to get mad, now if I can't fly because of the weather I am just as happy to go down to my workshop and spend the time there...
Well we all know you have not been flying so where is the building? The last pic posted was 1/27, huh? Huh??
Old 02-07-2014, 11:09 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if he's like my wife he's about 5 days behind in his work needed to satisfy the gov regulations because of all the snow days. Her spring vacation has already gone out the door. He has built 2 1/2 nice planes in the last year so he's doing better than I am
Old 02-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
Well we all know you have not been flying so where is the building? The last pic posted was 1/27, huh? Huh??
"HEY" I'm doing stuff, you know how it goes, all the little unfinished things that need to get done before you paint it. I'm building the dummy engine for it so I can get the cowl finished, waiting for the dual switch that goes on the cockpit floor, have a pilot to paint and surface the reed block on my engine. Then the real cold snap which is loosening it's grip slowed me down some and I don't have much to show for it. All the little things need doing and then the rivets, can hardly wait to finish those, "esh" because the paint will have to get on it to hold them all on and I'm still pondering that. Been a strain on the old brain but I'm getting there Guess I could cover the gear but I need to get some pant mounts welded on them. "Oh" I musen't forget the wheel pants, still work there, hell I have a regular laundry list plus keeping my eye on you guys keeps me busy.

I have been blowing snow and it's pileing up again as I write this and I'm doing a finishing thread on the mustang. My ***** is nice and round, I don't spend much time on it.

Leroy
Old 02-07-2014, 01:05 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
"HEY" I'm doing stuff, you know how it goes, all the little unfinished things that need to get done before you paint it. I'm building the dummy engine for it so I can get the cowl finished, waiting for the dual switch that goes on the cockpit floor, have a pilot to paint and surface the reed block on my engine. Then the real cold snap which is loosening it's grip slowed me down some and I don't have much to show for it. All the little things need doing and then the rivets, can hardly wait to finish those, "esh" because the paint will have to get on it to hold them all on and I'm still pondering that. Been a strain on the old brain but I'm getting there Guess I could cover the gear but I need to get some pant mounts welded on them. "Oh" I musen't forget the wheel pants, still work there, hell I have a regular laundry list plus keeping my eye on you guys keeps me busy.

I have been blowing snow and it's pileing up again as I write this and I'm doing a finishing thread on the mustang. My ***** is nice and round, I don't spend much time on it.

Leroy
I was referring to Vincent.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Leroy Gardner

I was referring to Vincent.
Well bit my lip, sounded like me. There is such a thing as the winter blues and the dulldrums set in, it's a good time to take a break and breath some fresh air and go visit someone. There are the lucky ones that have year round flying periods that don't go through that, I think.

Leroy
Old 02-07-2014, 03:07 PM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey VJ, I can't say that I blame ya for not caring to fly it. I find that too where well finally have a day nice enough for flying, and I'll spend it in the shop building. Like someone else said, my hobby is building, the flying is a bonus.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:16 PM
acerc

Well bit my lip, sounded like me. There is such a thing as the winter blues and the dulldrums set in, it's a good time to take a break and breath some fresh air and go visit someone. There are the lucky ones that have year round flying periods that don't go through that, I think.

Leroy
Ha! Ha! Ha! I'm in one of those places. And love it!!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

I'm right there with ya Robert. Flying all year long!!! Yeeeee-Haaaaa!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Leroy Gardner

"Oh eat your hart out", you guys are mean.

Leroy
Old 02-07-2014, 05:51 PM
stevegauth30

I'm with you Leroy. I got my fingers crossed for tomorrow. A little cold, but the winds should be light. It's not so much flying in wind, it's wind when it's cold out. Goes right through ya. Hopefully tomorrow, maybe a little stick time.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Leroy
That year around flying is what I am SUPPOSED to have! It was so cold yesterday and today that I couldn't even tie a knot INSIDE the shop! But I kept at it and that bird will fly tomorrow - or Sunday which actually looks to be warmer.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:45 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
That year around flying is what I am SUPPOSED to have! It was so cold yesterday and today that I couldn't even tie a knot INSIDE the shop! But I kept at it and that bird will fly tomorrow - or Sunday which actually looks to be warmer.
Don't blame the cold on our physical handicaps!!! LOL..
But I know the feeling, if it gets under about 76° I get the shivers.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:03 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Don't blame the cold on our physical handicaps!!! LOL..
But I know the feeling, if it gets under about 76° I get the shivers.
The high here yesterday was 30 but today was warmer at 39. The knots did get tied! Oh, not a physical handicap - I could not feel the spectra line.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Leroy Gardner

Finally reached 25 deg. so I'm back in the shop, the break was good for me. I had been working on my dummy engine in the house sanding the burnt laser cut wood off every part, there are alot of parts, 42 per cyl. 35 are wood. I painted it today after the glue up and put a liberal coat of epoxy and milled fiberglass in the valve covers and put the bottoms in them. I modified the way the spark plugs are done to look more like the weather sealed ones on the real engine. Monday I will get the mini screws for the valve covers and fit it in the cowl and secure the mount for it. I won't be surprised if I get asked if it's real, it sure looks it. Tomorrow I will get the cowling cut out and the mounts for the dummy engine in it then I can work on the finishing pannel lines and details on it while I'm waiting for the Miracle dual switch that gets mounted just under the cockpit floor so the deck and cockpit is removeable without anything connected to it, the arning light will be there also.

Still have the pipes to do and exhaust will enter the cowling like the cub.

Leroy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000274.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1966795   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000275.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	1966796   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000276.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1966797   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000277.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1966798  
Old 02-08-2014, 10:56 PM
stevegauth30

Holy crow buddy, that's a real work of art. Looks to me like you got more done since you said you weren't going to get anything done than you probably would have if you stayed in the shop. Lol. Those cylinders look absolutely amazing. Well worth the time and money and will certainly stand out on an already awesome looking airplane. Nice work. Going to start calling you Leroy van go!
Old 02-09-2014, 05:42 AM
Melchizedek

That engine looks FANTASTIC.

Cant wait to see it set in its place. Cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin
Old 02-09-2014, 07:20 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Holy crow buddy, that's a real work of art. Looks to me like you got more done since you said you weren't going to get anything done than you probably would have if you stayed in the shop. Lol. Those cylinders look absolutely amazing. Well worth the time and money and will certainly stand out on an already awesome looking airplane. Nice work. Going to start calling you Leroy van go!
Thank you Steve, it's a fun part of doing this plane. "Van go", holly smoke it's only Testors, it does have a certain quality about it, ha ha.

Leroy
Old 02-09-2014, 07:35 PM
acerc

Ohhhhh! Come on Leroy!!! You have got to show them the same pic of them with the cowl as you did on RCG!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:40 PM
Leroy Gardner

Kevin your wish is granted. Getting it mounted in the cowling sure has changer the personality of this plane, even I'm impressed with that look, gonna have a pretty front end on it. Once I get the exhaust and intake pipes on it should add even more realisem to it. I'm going to rethink the paint job up there, now I have to get around the engine. I wasn't going to put one on when I started but glad I did now. There is adjustments to width, about 1/4" each side and still clear engine inside. It will be wider by 1/4" for 1/4 scale but thats okey with me. I like it.

Leroy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000278.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	943.8 KB
ID:	1967078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000279.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	876.8 KB
ID:	1967079   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000280.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	980.1 KB
ID:	1967080   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000281.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	838.3 KB
ID:	1967081  
Old 02-10-2014, 04:28 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Leroy you have outdone yourself my man! Very, very nice!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:38 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Leroy I couldn't make it look that good with Photoshop! Fantastic!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Well, if he's like my wife he's about 5 days behind in his work needed to satisfy the gov regulations because of all the snow days. Her spring vacation has already gone out the door. He has built 2 1/2 nice planes in the last year so he's doing better than I am
I'm close to resembling this comment, I spent 2 1/2 years building one nice airplane! We need a Beating head against the brickwall emote!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:44 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All you guys need to do is retire and relax. After that, boredom will set in, and you'll turn out airframes like crazy.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:41 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by tomcrump
all you guys need to do is retire and relax. After that, boredom will set in, and you'll turn out airframes like crazy.
working on it!!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:47 AM
raptureboy

Well if VJ turns out airplanes like this when he's not retired what will he do when he is? Oh I know, he will build them for all his friends on RCU
Originally Posted by TomCrump
All you guys need to do is retire and relax. After that, boredom will set in, and you'll turn out airframes like crazy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.