Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great planes - pt20 mk2 build started

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great planes - pt20 mk2 build started

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Cool! I got back into R/C back in 2004. My first plane this time around was a Kadet LT40 with a Futaba 6EXA and a Super Tigre .40 engine. I finished it to match the picture on the box, the hardest part was finding the right color red for the stripe on the wing (Hanger 9 True Red I believe). I bought a Top Flite strip cutting tool just to make it,. I put a big black arrow on the bottom of the fuselage to make orientation a little easier. I parked it in canopy of the tallest tree out there by the TORKS field. It took 45 minutes to find it and my youngest son the Eagle Scout to climb up and get it loose. I spend more time building than anything else and fly occasional at TORKS as a guest. A friend of mine wants me to come out to Yukon with him next time I go.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:29 PM
lyvewire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should go I love to fly a lot. This weekend I'll fly my trainer maybe depends on how well the rest of my covering goes, thanks for following my build you have been a great help. Here are pics of my fuse base color covering job, and I might add, not bad for being out of it for 15+ years.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:43 AM
FlyerInOKC

Looking good! My problem is the weekends are busier than the weekdays most of the time.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:16 AM
lyvewire

Okay so once I get my base coat down is it possible to iron the covering and add more covering on top of covering? Like for my fancy stuff?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:32 AM
FlyerInOKC

There a couple ways of doing it but yes you can overlap different colors just check the manufacture's website for instructions.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:50 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks good, glad to see your build and how you are coping with the learning curve. Making mistakes is all part of building.
I also encourage you to never feel you need to give up the trainer, these planes are great to keep the your skills honed, especially landing. Trainers are "floaters" and it requires a touch and timing to get them to land right on the numbers. I have been flying for 25 years and still fly my trainer at least once a week practicing touch and gos, STOL techniques, and x-wind landings. Better to practice and experiment on a trainer than a Corsair or P-51.

Covering is coming along great. I would suggest sealing the edges of the covering around engine area with CA or epoxy. Fuel will get under the covering and soak into the wood and will cause the covering to peel and the wood to eventually need replacing.

Scott
Old 10-09-2013, 06:05 PM
lyvewire

Yep I appreciate it I am almost done with fuse base coat I got vert stab and I will fuel proof the wing saddle and cowl I'm going to lay on my fancy stuff in a bit after rudder I think you will love this!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 07:39 PM
lyvewire

Progress for tonight what do you think? And no that's not a sticker
Old 10-10-2013, 05:17 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Pretty cool!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

I love the green!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:51 AM
lyvewire

I figured you guys would like it. Wait till you see the whole idea it gets even more interesting. Maybe by the weekend I'll have it done. I gotta do my fuel proofing before I move on to the wing though. And I messed up on sheeting so I gotta fix some small errors before I can get the wing started. It should be in the air in the next week or so. I have to buy a radio battery mine was dead. As for everything else I got it ready to install. I beleive you will also be impressed with how clean my tank and battery goes in and looks
Old 10-12-2013, 10:03 AM
lyvewire

More progress pics. I fuel proofed the cowl, firewall, landing gear, wing saddle etc. installed my switch with charge port. I'm needing some advice on bottom covering I was thinking some solid green on te of horizontal stab. Anyway here are some pics.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:35 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe if you leave all the green off the bottom of everything it may be easier to keep orientation. If all the green is on the top side it should be easy to see & get out of a bind quicker ??? Just a thought.....Gene
Old 10-14-2013, 05:33 AM
lyvewire

Yeah gene thanks, I've decided to do the following; bottom of wing white and the top green with white goo, I think that will look good and I won't have to spend any more money on ultra coat I have a lot of sanding and filling to do on wing before I can start that last bit of covering though.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 PM
lyvewire

Radio hookup is a drag!