Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~SIG Brotherhood ~~

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~SIG Brotherhood ~~

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 12:28 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrider6
While building this plane, I have seen that this aspect of the sport seems to be going almost extinct. Very few kit manufacturers anymore, and even building supplies can be a challenge to find. It sure isn't like it was 20-30 years ago. I hope we can keep this part of the hobby alive.
Outrider6, good luck with your new build, and welcome to the Brotherhood. Yes, the hobby has drastically changed. There are times when I go to our field and there are a dozen pilots and no glow, or gas. I would even say that there are more pilots with 30cc and up gassers than there are glow planes. We also have a good number of turbine jet pilots.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:54 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Outrider6, good luck with your new build, and welcome to the Brotherhood. Yes, the hobby has drastically changed. There are times when I go to our field and there are a dozen pilots and no glow, or gas. I would even say that there are more pilots with 30cc and up gassers than there are glow planes. We also have a good number of turbine jet pilots.
I'm the only one at my field still flying glow.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:47 PM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Breaking in my little Saito .40 on my driveway was so much fun. Hearing that little jewel purr was sweet music. And I started using Omega as after shave again.

Speaking of glow fuel, I had no idea it would be somewhat challenging to get these days (especially during this pandemic junk). Then the other day, I was researching making my own fuel. I nixed that idea when I found out how much it would cost me to mix it up myself. Grrrrrrrrr.

We need to keep this hobby alive. I will do my part, as best I can.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:32 PM
acdii

Byron fuels are no more too.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:19 AM
Outrider6

Default SIG Kougar

Not sure which sub-forum is best for my question, so since this thread is about SIG's, I thought I would ask here:

Has anyone ever put a 4-stroke in a SIG Kougar? I am thinking of building one next, and I have always been very partial to 4-strokes. I would not be going for all out speed with this plane, but rather general sport flying. I am concerned about prop clearance, since I would probably put a Saito 62 in it. I am also thinking of modifying the kit to be a taildragger. I know I could make taller landing gear, in either case, but I wouldn't want to have to make it extremely tall and look stupid. I built a King Cobra way back when, and made it a taildragger, but I was using a 2-stroke engine then.

I guess one other option to keep prop diameter down would be to use a 3-blade prop.

Just wondering if anyone has ever done this, and how you got around the prop diameter issue.

Last edited by Outrider6; 06-05-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:26 AM
acdii

Yeah, a friend of mine did. Thats the plane that looks like a jet with the red white and blue and stars and stuff right? Foam core wing, swept back a little bit. He put an OS 52 on it.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:37 AM
Outrider6

Originally Posted by acdii
Yeah, a friend of mine did. Thats the plane that looks like a jet with the red white and blue and stars and stuff right? Foam core wing, swept back a little bit. He put an OS 52 on it.
Yep - that's the plane. Having only a 52 would help with the prop diameter. I have always read that those planes are a little heavy for their size (probably because of the foam wing), so I would be afraid that a 52 wouldn't have enough power. I do enjoy unlimited vertical.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:40 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got to fly my alien aircraft arrow master from Sig.
what a great plane to fly and build. Ranks up there with the Hog Bipe.

The following users liked this post:
skylark-flier (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 07:09 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Congrats Cap! Great looking airplane too!
Old 06-24-2020, 07:37 AM
Captcrunch44

Yeah I also got to maiden my Sig wonder, highly recommend contrasting colors top and bottom.

Last edited by Captcrunch44; 06-24-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:41 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Both are REALLY nice planes. Well done!!!!

Do I detect a bit of a color/trim change in the works for the Wonder?
Old 06-25-2020, 03:39 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking planes.
I hope the other color for the Sky Blue Wonder isn't Cloud White.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:12 AM
Captcrunch44

Originally Posted by soarrich
Great looking planes.
I hope the other color for the Sky Blue Wonder isn't Cloud White.
nope top looks like the bottom or the bottom looks like the top.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:12 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Symmetrical color schemes are plane breakers. I almost lost my Hobie Hawk from that, at a distance you can't tell if it's leaning toward you or away from you, and if you're low and guess wrong you're in trouble.

I like the funny noise make you have on the front. I love the smell of Nitro in the morning.

Last edited by soarrich; 06-25-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:43 AM
acdii

He enjoys the challenge. His pilots OTOH, do not, they leap from the plane while in flight, then the cows snack on them.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:50 AM
Flyboywbl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maiden flight of my Four Star 120 quarantine build was a success. It took 20 days to build/cover. I used the left over BBD decals from my TF-P51 ARF I glassed and painted. The checkers are all hand cut. The NGH 30 cc runs like garbage unfortunately. After takeoff the engine started sputtering and I landed to find that there were air bubbles in the fuel line. I thought it might be my setup but after swapping out the tank and all the fuel lines, there are still bubbles. On closer inspection, the bubbles are coming out of the carb and into the fuel line. I'm thinking I might have a leak in the carb. Oh well, you get what you pay for. I should of went with the Saito 30cc gasser.

I hope everyone is safe, healthy, and getting some good flying in!

-Matt
ThunderBoat42 (12-19-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 06:59 AM
acdii

If that is anything like the 38, check the pulse lines between the crank and intake, then might be backwards. One line provides crank vacuum, the other pulses the carb pump. On the 38 the center line from the crank goes to vacuum, the bottom goes to the pump port. It might be pumping into the intake instead.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:19 AM
Flyboywbl

Originally Posted by acdii
If that is anything like the 38, check the pulse lines between the crank and intake, then might be backwards. One line provides crank vacuum, the other pulses the carb pump. On the 38 the center line from the crank goes to vacuum, the bottom goes to the pump port. It might be pumping into the intake instead.

the 30cc only has one line
Old 07-06-2020, 11:29 AM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's difficult for me to visualize how bubbles could backup from the carb, but if there are actually bubbles coming from the carb, it could mean there is a backflow of air, possibly from the intake valve not closing completely. Looking at the photo it seems you have a red fuel filter near the carb. Is it possible for bubbles to form there? and you might even try putting a one-way valve near the carb.. If you continue with problems you might post on the gas engine forum.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:51 AM
Flyboywbl

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
It's difficult for me to visualize how bubbles could backup from the carb, but if there are actually bubbles coming from the carb, it could mean there is a backflow of air, possibly from the intake valve not closing completely. Looking at the photo it seems you have a red fuel filter near the carb. Is it possible for bubbles to form there? and you might even try putting a one-way valve near the carb.. If you continue with problems you might post on the gas engine forum.
that’s where I saw them coming from originally. I replaced the line without a filter and the bubbles were still coming out of the brass carb nipple onto the fuel line.

ive never seen this before
Old 07-12-2020, 12:48 PM
Outrider6

Here is my 1/6 Clipped Wing Cub, finished. The first flight was not non-eventful, but it shall fly again. Lesson learned that I should have gotten my feet wet again on building, on a much simpler plane. I had forgotten much in 15 years of not building balsa models.

Saito .40

skylark-flier (07-13-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 02:18 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Great looking Cub! Here is mine on display at a Civil Air Patrol meeting.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:58 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That's a NICE Cub. Hope the "incident" wasn't too damaging.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:07 PM
Outrider6

After recently finishing my 1/6 Clipped Wing Cub, I am about to start building a Somethin' Extra.

That would have begun last week, but because of a USPS huge debacle, it was delayed and will begin tomorrow or Monday, when my replacement kit arrives. Regarding the debacle, I ordered the SSE from Graves Hobbies in Orlando, FL, which is about an 8 hour drive from me. Shipments normally arrive in 2 days, with Priority Mail. When I initially ordered the SSE, it took 9 days to get to me, after leaving Graves. 9 days for an 8 hour drive. Then it looked like a mail truck drove over one end of the box. Major balsa damage inside (both fuselage sides severely broken). After several days of emailing back and forth with Graves, they filed a claim and shipped me a replacement kit, which is what should arrive very soon. I may have to give the damaged kit to USPS after they work out what will be done about the claim, or I may have a box full of a bunch of spare kit parts. Rarely does a month ever go by when I don't have some big problem or file a claim with USPS over lost mail. Their customer service is horrendous, as it seems that they are not accountable to anyone, being part of the government. Their tracking system is a sick joke, and the tracking for the damaged box showed for 7 days that they didn't even have possession of the package. Then it shows up in Atlanta and bounces around from location to location in the area for 2 days before finally arriving to me, 30 miles north of Atlanta. USPS is a bunch of idiotic red tape morons (with a few good employees thrown in here & there). That was my USPS rant.

Back on topic, I am looking forward to building this plane. I built one when they first came out, many years ago. I have researched and studied many threads here about building them, modifications, improvements, etc., and have made a list of what I will do. I will be lightening it some, enlarging and counterbalancing the elevator and rudder, and have already gotten a Kadet landing gear for it, which is taller (needed) and wider (not needed). I will soon be ordering a Saito 62 for it. It will be my "daily flier", knock-around plane.

Just trying to do my part to help keep kit manufacturers in business.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:17 AM
acdii

That reminds me, I need to fix the canopy on my ARF SSE, it keeps popping off in flight.

As far as USPS goes, I have a similar one from the beginning of July. I had sold my travel trailer and did the transaction through an Escrow service. Everything went great until they sent the money and documents to my bank, via USPS Priority mail. It was sent June 29th, sat in California for 11 days and was delivered to another California city. The address for the bank is in Omaha Nebraska. The bank finally got it, but instead of in just a few days, WHICH IS WHY I USED ESCROW! it took several weeks, all because of USPS. The buyer still doesn't have the title yet which they would have by now had the mail reached the bank in the 2 days promised.

Buyer had cash, but it would take up to 15 days before the bank could release the money before I could wire transfer it to the lien holder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.