Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kit Built Kadet Senior Sport

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kit Built Kadet Senior Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 02:33 PM
bigtj10
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you; I have a ESC that seemed to be getting hot and I was just trying to "bind" the receiver to the transmitter - not certain what the problem is or was. Its on a powered glider from China but what isn't from china?
Old 04-08-2017, 04:50 PM
bigtj10

I could get the throttle to work and the rudder and elevator but when I plugged in the Y-harness everything shut down; guess I could try just the Y-harness or individual ailerons but have not done so
Old 04-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Ed

The BEC included in your ESC is too small to do the job; so that when you plug in your wing servos it's failing. It's only a matter of time before you fry that BEC. For 3 or more servos, on a plane that you want to keep, you need to either select an ESC that has a higher rated BEC ( amps ), or use a separate Universal BEC. I only use the built-in BEC's on cheap 2 servo foamies. On planes that I want to keep around for awhile, I use a separate Universal BEC, and bypass the built-in BEC.

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/fi...ec-010-0004-00

Ed

Last edited by Ed; 04-09-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:19 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know that it's been a long time, but I finally got around to performing the maiden on this Kadet.

It took off effortlessly and flew very well. Comments from the Peanut Gallery were that it looked like a full scale air plane, in flight. Since this is part of what I was going for, I was pleased with the comments.

You may remember that I removed half of the kit's down thrust, which proved to be a mistake. Down trim was sufficient for the maiden flight, but I added a couple washers worth of additional down thrust, after I brought the model back home.

Sorry, no vids. I was the youngest pilot at the field, today, at 69.This group of guys doesn't do You Tube. LOL

I'm pleased with the results of this project. I hope that it has helped to inspire a few builders to kit bash the Kadet Senior in to something entirely different than the designer's intent.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:48 PM
Flight Risk

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
I know that it's been a long time, but I finally got around to performing the maiden on this Kadet.
Wow! Is this possibly the plane you were planning to maiden in April 2015? I had to look back through the thread to find it. Good to hear it performed well.

Last edited by Flight Risk; 09-02-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:11 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Wow! Is this possibly the plane you were planning to maiden in April 2015? I had to look back through the thread to find it. Good to hear it performed well.
Thanks.

I've fallen behind on my maiden flights. I have 5 more, some built before this Kadet, that have yet to be flown. LOL
Old 09-03-2017, 02:11 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Thanks.

I've fallen behind on my maiden flights. I have 5 more, some built before this Kadet, that have yet to be flown. LOL
Old 09-03-2017, 06:31 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Congratulations Tom! We never doubted it's airworthiness... It's been such a long time, that I had to go back to remind myself what it looked like!

Last edited by VincentJ; 09-03-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:44 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by VincentJ
Congratulations Tom! We never doubted it's airworthiness... It's been such a long time, that I had to go back to remind myself what it looked like!

Thanks !

Outside of the down thrust issue, she required no trim.

I adressed the down thrust, but this morning's weather prevented any flying, to see if I got it right.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:39 PM
bodybuildr
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carlos G
Here are the last two Pics of the fuselage...

Top of cabin where wing plugs in

Side view looking into cabin showing 1/8 th" birch ply wing leading edge hold down, it is the black painted vertical bit in front of the spruce and balsa vertical front cabin brace. It goes up and over across the top of the fuselage and down to the other cabin brace. The wing leading edge butts up against it where the wing leading edge hold down dowels plug into. The actual ply piece looks a bit like an inverted " U".

Hope this helps out

Carlos G
I like this, nice and clean. Did you use the stock leading edge?

Old 08-09-2022, 06:22 PM
Carlos G

Default Kadet construction...

Hi Bodybuildr,
Yes I did use the stock leading edge. I also added an 1/8 th inch ply doubler behind the wing leading edge and another to the center section spar area to help take the flight stresses imposed on the dowels that hold the wing into place. Please realize that I built this model almost twenty years ago now and my memory of its construction is a little hazy now. I still have the plane and fly it occasionally just to smell the Nitro fumes, LOL.
I have been thinking of making another but, it will be electric. We will see.

Carlos G
Old 08-09-2022, 09:01 PM
bodybuildr
My Feedback: (44)

I'm building my first Kadet Senior. Yes I saw the post was 8 years old. I've been researching modifications. Your bolt on wing looked very clean compared to some others. Mine will be electric. I'm not sure if I'll be doing ailerons or flaps yet. I do like how light it is as designed. This will also be my first electric and first electric conversion. I'm actually a little overwhelmed by the thought of it. Sometimes I think maybe I should xdo no mods other than the electric conversion.Thanks for your reply!
Old 08-23-2022, 04:53 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default Thoughts on electric conversion

Originally Posted by bodybuildr
I'm building my first Kadet Senior. Yes I saw the post was 8 years old. I've been researching modifications. Your bolt on wing looked very clean compared to some others. Mine will be electric. I'm not sure if I'll be doing ailerons or flaps yet. I do like how light it is as designed. This will also be my first electric and first electric conversion. I'm actually a little overwhelmed by the thought of it. Sometimes I think maybe I should xdo no mods other than the electric conversion.Thanks for your reply!

I built mine without ailerons, the motor, esc, battery, and speaker, (which makes radial or V12 sound), are all 4 to 6 inches below the wing giving a pendulum effect making turns slower to start and stop, kind of a sloppy flyer. When I get back into flying I'm going to put Junker-style ailerons on it. If I was starting fresh, and not wanting that 30's look, I would take 2/3s of the dihedral out of the wing and build barn door ailerons with differential.