Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Bud Nosen Citabria 40 Kit Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Bud Nosen Citabria 40 Kit Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:47 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you ever ask yourself this question...

WHY THE HELL AM I USING INSTANT GLUE IF IT'S NOT GOING TO SET INSTANTLY???!!! I feel like I need to apply the glue and clamp the parts then let it set overnight! SHEESH!!!

Tom, I think you pointed this out and now I think about it all the time! Thank you. 😉
Old 03-05-2017, 05:12 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Okay guys, I started to put the tail feathers on today, but there is something off and I can't quite put my finger on it. I got the vertical stabilizer, aka stabulator, aka fin, in line with the center-line of the fuselage, aka fuse. aka big box thingy where the pilot sits. First of all, I found out that the prints are wrong, the top view shows one thing and the side view shows another with respect to the tail. I then discovered that the horizontal stabilizer was not build perfectly as well, a little sanding bar and table saw took care of that. But still when I put everything on the fuse, it doesn't measure out quite right. I did notice that, even though it measured out perfect before, the wing doesn't seem to be square with the fuse either.

I'm going to have to go back at it again later, sometimes it helps to get away from it for awhile, things will come into focus better. Also, my back and legs are starting to bother me, can't stay hunched over that thing as long as I used to.

Oh, I also got the dowels glued to the side of the fuse using medium CA. Only took about two hours. I went out and did some yard work while I waited for the CA to cure. Yup, it took quite a while for that stinkin' instant glue to set!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170305_164717291.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	2204115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170305_164751790.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	2204116  
Old 03-06-2017, 11:08 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

At least it dries faster than Titebond.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:27 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
At least it dries faster than Titebond.
I use Titebond II to build Flyer, and if I give the glue 20 minutes to set, it's strong enough for me to unclamp and continue building. It may not have achieved full strength, but it sounds like it's faster than what David's using! LOL
Old 03-06-2017, 01:29 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Something is wrong if your CA is taking a couple hours to set.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:28 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Originally Posted by VincentJ
I use Titebond II to build Flyer, and if I give the glue 20 minutes to set, it's strong enough for me to unclamp and continue building. It may not have achieved full strength, but it sounds like it's faster than what David's using! LOL
VJ, all I have to say is: Yeah, no duh!

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Something is wrong if your CA is taking a couple hours to set.
And Tom... Yeah, no duh!

It's the Tower Hobbies Build-It CA. It was the cheaper of them all... oh... um... yeah... well... hmmm... Guess I'll have to invest in some accelerator.
Maybe I'll write Tower and see what they say. They usually stand behind there stuff, right? I mean, at least that way they can avoid getting hit when you throw it back at them! (Just kidding, it's what I do!)

Last edited by Cub Flyer Fresno; 03-06-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:43 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Okay, as far as my wing/tail alignment issue goes, Tom noted in a private message (sorry Tom, I'm spilling it!) that he thought the fuse looked a little crooked, a slight banana shape if you will. And this could very well be! I did put it over the plans and it looks straight compared to the plans, which I have noted before are not perfect!

So, with that said, what is the consensus on squaring the wing to the fuse? When measuring from the wing tip to the trailing edge of the fuse, I get 1/4" difference, maybe just a touch less (3/16"). It's 42-1/16" on one side and 42-1/4" inch on the other. As long as I try to keep 0 incidence in the fin and keep the stab straight with the wing, will it hurt?

(Whoa, after a rough day at work, and a Monday at that, my head is starting to spin!)

Thanks in advance guys!
David
Old 03-07-2017, 03:22 AM
TomCrump

To me, it looks like the fuselage bend to the left (looking from the rear), just aft of the cabin area.

Short of dismantling and rebuilding the fuselage, I'd mount the wings and square the stab to the wings.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

I wonder if Callie would have a Chiquita Banana Gal decal he could put on this airplane? From what I am reading it might be appropriate. ;-) Oh well you aren't the only one who has built a banana before and you won't be a the last one either! I know I have had it happen before.

Name:	Chiquta.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	2204307  
Old 03-07-2017, 06:34 AM
VincentJ

I wonder if Callie would have a Chiquita Banana Gal decal he could put on this airplane? From what I am reading it might be appropriate. ;-) Oh well you aren't the only one who has built a banana before and you won't be a the last one either! I know I have had it happen before.

Now that's funny...sorry David!
Old 03-07-2017, 08:08 AM
FlyerInOKC

Now that's funny...sorry David!
Tacky I know but I figure better to laugh it off then cry over it!
Old 03-07-2017, 09:41 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Okay guys, have we all had a good laugh? Are we through now? Hmmm?

Oh, I was just going through some of my photos, and here is one of what the kit looked like when I got it..

Well look at that! The fuse was already glued together when I got it! Hmmm... does that mean it was already a banana? But, in the original builders defense, I did put it over the plans and it appeared to be straight. I need to go back and look over the plans again to see. There are some other things that aren't quite right too, but I'm not telling what they are, no one will ever know.

Name:	IMG_20170103_185702551.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	2204334  
Old 03-07-2017, 10:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

It wouldn't be the first time the plans were a little wankie, it's not always easy to tell with the naked eye. I sent a set of plans to a laser cutter once and he told me he hadn't seen a set of hand drawn plans yet where he didn't have to split the formers and flip the two pieces on top of each other then pick the best side to use. The two sides were always slightly off even on commercial plans. The exception appears to be with CAD plans where the designer can flip the drawings to check to see if the two sides match.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:16 AM
VincentJ

OK David, are you saying that the banana was already rotten before you got it? ...sorry, I couldn't resist!
Old 03-07-2017, 10:36 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

OK David, are you saying that the banana was already rotten before you got it? ...sorry, I couldn't resist!

I wouldn't say rotten, just overripe. (Oh my gosh! I've got to do the next build on RCG, these emoji's are worthless! )
Old 03-07-2017, 10:55 AM
TomCrump

It's not that bad, David. I'm just saying that it could be the cause of your alignment issues.

I'd just line up the stab to the wing, and make the fin 90 degrees to the stab's trailing edge.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:03 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Originally Posted by TomCrump
It's not that bad, David. I'm just saying that it could be the cause of your alignment issues.

I'd just line up the stab to the wing, and make the fin 90 degrees to the stab's trailing edge.

To late Tom, you already made me feel really really bad! NOT Yeah, I was headed down that path anyway. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was overlooking that would cause problems later.

Thanks y'all!
David
Old 03-07-2017, 01:57 PM
FlyerInOKC

I have had less than perfect fuselages and have overcome any adverse flight characteristics by maintaining the correct alignment between wing and tail surfaces.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:33 PM
TomCrump

I have had less than perfect fuselages.
If we are honest with ourselves, we've all built a less than perfect fuselage. That's how I figured out how to deal with them. LOL
Old 03-07-2017, 06:41 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Okay, so with all your combined knowledge and experience, how does this look? Be honest now, I can take it!... (uh-oh )

I took my time, measured, re-measured. Then I made sure the stab is level with the wings. Then with it all pinned together I carried it into the living room for this photo op. It's all ready to glue down, except for some final touch-up to the stab and hinging, which I figure will be much easier before the stab is glued down.

Name:	IMG_20170307_182522991.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	3.46 MB
ID:	2204454  
Old 03-07-2017, 06:58 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to be so late Daved. My skype was a little goofy and just got your message about this build thread. I have a little reading to do to catch up.

Ken
Old 03-07-2017, 08:58 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Originally Posted by flyingagin
Sorry to be so late Daved. My skype was a little goofy and just got your message about this build thread. I have a little reading to do to catch up.

Ken

Hello there Ken! Hope all is going well for you up north. And welcome aboard, looking forward to some of your insight as well!
Old 03-07-2017, 09:07 PM
flyingagin

Smile

Where do you get your tablesaw blades? I have the same saw I bought about 10 years ago from a garage sale (Only $50!) I got it and the Dremel Belt Sander.. I have been buying a little carbide tipped blade from Harbor Freight it was all I could find at the time.
I'm still catching up on the thread. I have the same saw. It has assisted well with many builds. I am still using my original blade (it is rather shot now) and belt. A couple or three years ago I ran across a couple of Dremel saw sources.
http://www.micromark.com/40-Tooth-Sa...-1-2-Inch-Hole
http://www.micromark.com/Replacement...Saw-All-Models
http://www.theaerosmith.com/custom3.html
http://www.theaerosmith.com/catalog_3.html
http://www.theaerosmith.com/photo2_1.html

A bit late, but hey I just joined this gang.

Ken
Old 03-07-2017, 09:15 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Your not too late as far as I'm concerned. Cool links! Thanks for sharing Ken!
Old 03-07-2017, 09:47 PM
flyingagin

You are welcome.
More http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Ta...ccessories-492
I have a couple of more buried in a gazion links on my confuser that should prove interesting. I will keep hunting, I found (a long time ago a commercial built tablesaw-crosscut-sled.
Could build your own course.
http://www.finewoodworking.com/2011/...-crosscut-sled

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.