Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Kavalier

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Kavalier

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 10:19 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Here is a pretty good article building balsa cowlings if you have never done it before. The site belongs to a laser cutting service for shortkits.

How to build a cowl from balsa blocks The Balsa Workbench

Thanks, that is a nice article.

I built a Sig Wonder last year and the manual cracked me up for the step to sand the cowl. It said to carve and sand the balsa blocks to a "pleasing shape". That took a lot of "eyeballing".
Old 12-21-2017, 10:21 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hsukaria
I have a Kavalier kit I plan on building this winter. I have a couple of questions:

1. How hard is it to build it as a taildragger? It has a one-piece elevator with the control horn in the center with the fuselage open to pass the pushrod out. I will keep it stock if it is too much trouble to convert, however. I fly off a grass field.

2. Has anybody built up the nose/cowl with balsa block instead of the included cowl? I like the continuous, uninterrupted lines of the old-style balsa block cowls.

Thanks.
The way understand you will have to move the lander gear forward to get it to balance out right but I could be wrong there. I've seen this done with Kadets years back and it wasnt my cup of tea.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:54 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like balsa cowls too. The link is good, and pretty much what I did on my Four Star 60, except that I made a plywood ring and lined up the engine to that before drilling the mounting holes. I didn't photograph a sequence, but maybe this will give an idea...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1259.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	2248380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1265.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	548.3 KB
ID:	2248381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1287.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	2248382  
Old 12-22-2017, 11:50 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder which is lighter, a carved out balsa block or built-up balsa like I did with the Stratus?

Name:	100_1974-nose detail.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	2248383  
Old 12-22-2017, 11:51 AM
hsukaria

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
I like balsa cowls too. The link is good, and pretty much what I did on my Four Star 60, except that I made a plywood ring and lined up the engine to that before drilling the mounting holes. I didn't photograph a sequence, but maybe this will give an idea...
That is what I was hoping to do. The Kavalier will be at 45 degrees, but still the same principle. Your plane looks real nice with that IMHO.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:53 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
I wonder which is lighter, a carved out balsa block or built-up balsa like I did with the Stratus?
Looks great. I also like the recess for the muffler.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:12 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Nice build!
Here is a picture of my K, it has a new owner ( owner #4 ) and he likes it very much, it became his go to fly airplane.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-in-the-making

Name:	20170329_225812.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	1,018.9 KB
ID:	2248931  
Old 12-28-2017, 04:41 PM
mkjohnston

Originally Posted by CARS II
Nice build!
Here is a picture of my K, it has a new owner ( owner #4 ) and he likes it very much, it became his go to fly airplane.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-in-the-making
Hi Carlos, that is a great airplane and when did you build it? I hope to flying mine in a month and that is if it gets alot warmer up here in North Texas! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Michael
Old 12-28-2017, 08:09 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Build looks abandoned, ebay sells the kit still. https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-S...wAAOSwyYFZ9RHX .

Last edited by J330; 01-03-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:25 PM
CARS II

Michael, the short story of the K goes like this, the Kavalier was given to me by a friend nearly 20 years ago, he build it and then he stopped and gave it to me some twenty years ago, later I give it to a friend a year later, that friend kept it for 19 years didn't do anything with it and give it back to me about a year ago so, it makes it a new 30 years old airplane that flys great, then I decided to build it during spring, I got to fly it a few times, it's a great flyer but it needed a new home, someone that will enjoy it more than me since I have other projects I need to finish and I'm also flying bigger airplanes, gas airplanes with 35cc engines and bigger.

The new owner ( owner #4, club member ) is having tons of fun flying the K, the K has a new 40 FP and it looks like it is the perfect engine for it.

That K needed to be build and flown after been framed up so many years ago and it did, proudly

Here is a picture of the project I'm working on, a Nick Ziroli Turbinator, I started this build in 2008 and planning to complete it by Feb 2018, nearly 10 years since I glue the crouch together, aI basically build 90% of it in Jan/Feb and now I'm getting all together, getting ready to monokote by the end of Jan 2018.

I'm also picking up my next project from BTE near Medford, OR by next week, Reaction 54 ( 4 hours away from Sac ) next project's picture.

Name:	20171229_125236.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	2249350  
Attached Images  

Last edited by CARS II; 12-31-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:09 PM
442dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Any build progress? I love the kavalier!
Old 01-16-2018, 06:53 AM
mkjohnston

Originally Posted by 442dave
Hi. Any build progress? I love the kavalier!
Hi Dave Sorry for the lack of updates as I have been trying to finish the wing on my A-ray which is almost done. I also have been working a lot of hours for the last three weeks. Life gets in the way you as probably know.
I had a little trouble figuring out how to cut the taper edge on the leading edges and consulted my local Hobby shop owner Eddie Taylor here in Wichita Falls TX (Action Hobbies/Lazerworks). Eddie has been real helpful with my build he also makes Lazer parts packs for sale online. He told me to take a piece of glass and lay it on top of my bench and then lay the leading edge on top and use a steel straight edge and lay it on top and start at the 3/16 inch end all the way down to 1/2 end. you also need to support the whole straight edge by placing another stick of the same thickness under the side you are not cutting. Now carefully clamp it to the bench and start cutting with a sharp Xacto Knife along the edge. he also told me to cut it in spurts and not to try to cut it in one continuous cut as you will you will find it is easy to destroy these Balsa Sticks After having to replace 1 of them I used this method and it works pretty good. I have two complete and very light wing panels!!! so thats it for this week I hope to have this glued together with 5 minute expoy and the end of the week. I will post some more pics later on in the week
Thank You
Michael Johnston

Name:	Sig Kavalier left wing.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	2251361   Click image for larger version

Name:	ARAY.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	610.9 KB
ID:	2251362  
Old 01-16-2018, 06:56 AM
mkjohnston

Originally Posted by CARS II
Michael, the short story of the K goes like this, the Kavalier was given to me by a friend nearly 20 years ago, he build it and then he stopped and gave it to me some twenty years ago, later I give it to a friend a year later, that friend kept it for 19 years didn't do anything with it and give it back to me about a year ago so, it makes it a new 30 years old airplane that flys great, then I decided to build it during spring, I got to fly it a few times, it's a great flyer but it needed a new home, someone that will enjoy it more than me since I have other projects I need to finish and I'm also flying bigger airplanes, gas airplanes with 35cc engines and bigger.

The new owner ( owner #4, club member ) is having tons of fun flying the K, the K has a new 40 FP and it looks like it is the perfect engine for it.

That K needed to be build and flown after been framed up so many years ago and it did, proudly

Here is a picture of the project I'm working on, a Nick Ziroli Turbinator, I started this build in 2008 and planning to complete it by Feb 2018, nearly 10 years since I glue the crouch together, aI basically build 90% of it in Jan/Feb and now I'm getting all together, getting ready to monokote by the end of Jan 2018.

I'm also picking up my next project from BTE near Medford, OR by next week, Reaction 54 ( 4 hours away from Sac ) next project's picture.
Hi Carlos, is this an Electric Ducted Fan airplane? Looks great almost similar but to the GP Patriot which I had many years back.I let tt go with my Rossi 45 and and an OS 46sf which I should have never let go.
Take Care
Michael Johnston
Thank You
Old 01-16-2018, 07:48 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Wing looks great!
Old 01-17-2018, 11:38 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
He told me to take a piece of glass and lay it on top of my bench and then lay the leading edge on top and use a steel straight edge and lay it on top and start at the 3/16 inch end all the way down to 1/2 end. you also need to support the whole straight edge by placing another stick of the same thickness under the side you are not cutting. Now carefully clamp it to the bench and start cutting with a sharp Xacto Knife along the edge. he also told me to cut it in spurts and not to try to cut it in one continuous cut as you will you will find it is easy to destroy these Balsa Sticks After having to replace 1 of them I used this method and it works pretty good.
Thank You
Michael Johnston
Here is another way of making tapered trailing edges. You sandwich a piece of balsa between two steel rods one the diameter of the leading edge and one the diameter of the trailing edge of the desired completed trailing edge material. You then can use a razor plane to rough out the size and finalize the shape with a sanding bar. You can use multiple rods to take the material down in stages.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 01-17-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:01 PM
442dave

Nice job on the sheeting!
Old 01-20-2018, 06:22 AM
mkjohnston

Good morning well I messed it up yesterday as I put to much on the seams to hide them and I was using a mouse sander to Knock it down. The sheeting got to thin and I and stuck my finger through so today I will be fixing that and getting it down today. I will also get sometime tonight to trim up the left panel and hopeful I can set it up to glue it together! It is so fun to be doing this again. Thanks Michael
Old 01-20-2018, 11:41 AM
skylark-flier

I'd bet that nearly everyone here has done that same thing at least once. I know that I did - in 2 different places on the fuse - on my Stratus. Embarrassing to do it once - how do you explain TWICE?
Old 01-21-2018, 07:03 AM
mkjohnston

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
I'd bet that nearly everyone here has done that same thing at least once. I know that I did - in 2 different places on the fuse - on my Stratus. Embarrassing to do it once - how do you explain TWICE?
I would have just ripped the sheeting of but my friend Eddie gave me a new idea which is that you make a small patch out of 3/4 fiber glass and just lay it over the hole. You then saturate the heck out of with thin CA once it cures you sand the heck out of it then lay a bigger one on it and the same thing you sand it smooth put some filler on it and sand it smooth! Yikes. Yes this is very embarrassing to say the least but it will work out!
Great
I will post some pictures later today
Thanks
Michael
Ps My build is not Abandoned its just on hold for a bit
C-YA
Old 01-23-2018, 10:05 AM
442dave

That's sounds like a good idea to fix the whole. Once it' sanded you won't even be able to tell.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:07 PM
mkjohnston

so here is my results of using this idea from my friend Eddie over at Action Hobbies here in Wichita Falls TX. I made two patches out of the 3/4 oz fiber glass cloth.I then sprayed 3M 77 spray adhesive on them and laid them out one at a time.I then saturated it with thin CA and let it dry then I lightly sanded the area then I put the other patch which is a little big bigger over the first one. I saturated it again with CA then I sanded it again now I can start applying the wood filler tomorrow. This was not very hard to do and it beats tearing the balsa sheeting off and starting over again!
Thank You
Michael Johnston

Name:	DSCF0532.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	2252220   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0533.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	2252221   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0534.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	2252222  
Old 01-25-2018, 07:57 PM
skylark-flier

Y'learn something every day - that looks GOOD!!!
Old 01-26-2018, 06:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

No one will ever know!
Old 01-26-2018, 11:57 AM
mkjohnston

It came out pretty good so now I am filling it in a flare it to a smooth finish and maybe I can start covering this bad boy ha! She will be Metallic plum and bright yellow.
I appreciate all the nice comments thanks guys
Michael
Old 01-27-2018, 10:57 PM
CARS II

Michael

These two are all wood turbine jets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.