Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Laser Cutting

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Laser Cutting

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 10:03 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser Cutting

What kit mfgers are laser cutting their kits ? I have heard bad things about die cutting if the dies are not sharp. If there are some die cut manufacturers out there that are really reliable I'd love to hear about them as well.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:12 PM
taildragger01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Laser Cutting

depends on what kind of kit you are looking for. Aeroplaneworks makes the finest kits around and they lazer cut. allso balsausa and yellow aricraft. A&A Industrys lazercut . So again It depends on what kit your in the market for.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:59 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also keep in mind that just because a kit is laser cut does not make it a great kit. If the kit cutter does not take the time to verify the parts fit of their programmed patterns, the fit can be just as bad as a poorly die-crunched kit. OTOH, I have built many of the older Pilot, MK, IM and Yoshioka kits which were all die-cut and the fit was simply amazing. Again, it all depends on the kit cutter and how much time and effort they put into making their kit a quality product.

John
Old 11-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only built 2 balsa kits so far, one laser cut from Great Planes and the Tower Trainer .40, all die cut. I don't know if I was lucky or not, but the pieces in the die cut kit were all crisply cut--no crunching at all. I prefer that to the charred edges of the laser cut kit.