Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Hog Bipe Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Hog Bipe Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 AM
chashint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Hog Bipe Build

I have my engine mounted per the plans and it works fine.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:56 AM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: chashint

I have my engine mounted per the plans and it works fine.
Ahhh, glad to hear as that's the route I'm going. I figured that was the right answer since I hadn't really heard of anyone complaining of thrust issues with the motor mount.

I haven't forgotten about the Hog guys (for anyone who still cares). I haven't been back in the basement for building purposes at all since I last posted in this build thread. It's been a busy Spring/Summer with RC and other life commitments. I plan on starting a new project this fall, but not before finishing the Hog. As soon as I return to the bench, I'll resume/complete the thread.

-MA
Old 07-25-2008, 03:38 PM
preparation_h

I've had it with my bipe. Can't figure it out.

If I hit the gas it wants to climb......throttle down and it wants to dive. How do I check wing incidence without a meter. The both "appear" that they are parallel. Anybody else have this issue?

Thanks,
Old 07-26-2008, 08:34 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: preparation_h

If I hit the gas it wants to climb......throttle down and it wants to dive. How do I check wing incidence without a meter. The both "appear" that they are parallel. Anybody else have this issue?

isn't this what all planes do?

i guess if you problem is too radical, you may have missed the 1.5deg of downthrust that the firewall is supposed to have in in. I built mine according the the manual without using an incidence meter on the wings or stabilizer and it flies just fine. But i also made sure that the downthrust was correct...
Old 07-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: *JCB*

ORIGINAL: preparation_h

isn't this what all planes do?

i guess if you problem is too radical, you may have missed the 1.5deg of downthrust that the firewall is supposed to have in in. I built mine according the the manual without using an incidence meter on the wings or stabilizer and it flies just fine. But i also made sure that the downthrust was correct...

What he said....mine flys great with just a little of down elevator...but with the downthrust on the engine
Old 07-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Backfired

Picked up a Sig Hog Bipe at a sale this weedend. The plane is completey built except for motor mount, servos, balancing, and maiden. Unfortunately no manual was included and it's not available from the Sig web site. I emailed them but no response yet. I need recommended CG, throws, recommended servo type and placement in the plane. Also the fuel tank moves fore and aft. I assume it needs to be tied down or a wood support added to the rear of the tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The person that built the plane did an excellent job it's beautifully built and covered. He was recently moved to a nursing home and is not in good health. He never got to fly this beauty and I intend to be certain that it's finished right and survives the maiden.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:24 PM
redipsekud
My Feedback: (6)

Hello Backfired
cg as per manual cg is measured from the leading edge of the top wing
25% 3-5\8 GOOD PLACE TO START
30% 4-1\8 better elevator responce and quiker snaps
35% 4-5\8 approach this cg with caution
thrws are
aileron 5\8 up snd down
elevator 3\4 up and down
rudder 1-1\4 left and right
as for servos,i just used standard 3004 futaba servos but thats really a builders choice issue.same deal for placement,i prefer to put servos as close to the control surface as possible
and the tank,also a builders choice issue,i stuffed foam paddeng around mine,never had a problem
anyways, hope this helps,and good luck on your new plane
Old 07-27-2008, 05:25 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: chashint

Straight from the manual.
CG: Measured from the leading edge of the top wing with the plane in the upright position.
25% - 3 5/8" Good place to start if this is your first biplane.
30% - 4 1/8" Better elevator response and quicker snaps.
35% - 4 5/8" Approach this CG with caution. Unexperienced pilots may find this to be to extreme for their ability.

Aileron:
5/8" up/down
Elevator:
3/4" up/down
Rudder:
1 1/4" left/right
Old 07-27-2008, 05:26 PM
chashint

drats redipsekud beat me
Old 07-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Backfired

Thanks for the quik replys.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Backfired

Good news, Bad news.

I emailed Sig on Saturday and they have not yet responded to my request for a manual.

I phoned them today and had an electronic copy of the manual in two minutes.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:16 PM
chashint

I have not tried emailing Sig before, but the one time I needed something a person answered the phone and two days later I had a new rudder in my mailbox.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:26 AM
Backfired

Has anyone flown this plane with a .65 four stroke? I purchased the plane with a Saito 65 4 stroke which is the smallest size motor recommended by Sig. I don't plan to do any 3d flying but want a fun flying sport plane and a safe maiden.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:10 AM
chashint

In my opinion the 65 four stroke will not have enough guts for a Hog Bipe.
Most of the people seem to use 91 class four strokes with a few Saito 82's and 100's thrown in for good measure.

edit here..........
I just reread your post, if the plane came with a 65 mounted in it was it ever flown before you got became the owner ?
If it was then obviously the 65 can fly the plane.

I still think the plane "needs" a 91 class four stroke though.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 PM
bandguy_37

i'm new here, but would love some feedback. i've built 2 planes the last couple years. A fourstar 60 and the one and only Somethin Extra!! - I love that plane. next i am thinking of building a hog bipe 60 - hope i can fly it , but i have a blast with my extra, and haven't crashed it ....yet. I was thinking of putting a 70 four stroke os in the hog. if anyone has any opinions i would love to hear them
Old 07-31-2008, 02:25 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A 70 4-stroke would barly fly the Hog bipe, a 60-70 2-stroke would be a good match but for a 4-stroke thumper you would want a 91 or 100 for good flight performance. I have a saito 100 on my hog and it is a great match for it but a 70 would be too weak to do anything other than just level flight and would need higher throttle to fly it.

Dauntae
Old 07-31-2008, 05:06 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

Don't mean to disagree with Dauntae but I put a Saito 72 on mine and it flew great. Of course it came out light (7 lbs even) and I don't wring it out. But it did take off at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. When reading a thread while building I was worried about the weight so I applied liberal sand paper and also got it balanced without weight. Of course I wouldn't want any less power and don't know about the 65. If it's older and not as much power as a newer engine it could fly it but might be borderline.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:58 PM
chashint

I have said it before and I say it again ....
I am so darned jealous of you people that can actually build light.
Try as I might my planes are always rather porky.
[:'(]

Old 07-31-2008, 09:09 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

I've seen an electric hog bipe that the owner took EXTENSIVE amounts of time to save weight and he had it under 6lbs!! Mine, built stock, is just under 9lbs!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:39 PM
chashint

Mine is built stock with a koverall & dope finish and the ol' hog tips the scales at just under 9 1/2 lbs.
It flies great but I wonder what one that weighed in at 7 1/2 or even 8 lbs would "feel" like to fly ?
Old 08-01-2008, 05:43 AM
redipsekud
My Feedback: (6)

I fly mine with a ST 61 and it flys good,it wont hang on the prop,but it gets around ok
Old 08-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: cubfloater

Don't mean to disagree with Dauntae but I put a Saito 72 on mine and it flew great. Of course it came out light (7 lbs even) and I don't wring it out. But it did take off at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. When reading a thread while building I was worried about the weight so I applied liberal sand paper and also got it balanced without weight. Of course I wouldn't want any less power and don't know about the 65. If it's older and not as much power as a newer engine it could fly it but might be borderline.
7 lbs even.. WOW that is impressive building, If you manage to get it that light a 70 would fly it fine, However you will get some variance in the kit itself too. When I was building, I did it with a friend and we built both together at his house, and there where definitely some wood heavier in one kit to the other. cubfloater must have gotten some of the lighter wood, and with his building light added has a much lighter plane. (your making us jealous here cubfloater) But I do agree the older 65 is lower on power than some of the newer designed engines.

Dauntae
Old 08-03-2008, 06:04 AM
Backfired

I took everyones advise and purchased a OS 91s II engine. It has way more power than the 65. As soon as I get the engine broke in I'll be ready for maiden.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:17 AM
chashint

good choice for the engine
Old 08-03-2008, 03:16 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I acquired a 'previously owned' hog bipe. The previous owner flew it with an OS 70 4-stroke and said it had plenty of power. I am putting a Saito 100 in it. He laughed at me when I told him - he said the Saito would be way too much power. I'm about to fly it for the first time. I'll give you all a flight report when I do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.