Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Flair Puppeteer Trust Angles

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Flair Puppeteer Trust Angles

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 11:46 AM
joem423

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flair Puppeteer Trust Angles

Ahhh, That explains it then. That's the exact way I was planning to do mine.

Thanks again,
Joe
Old 02-21-2005, 11:20 AM
bassman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Progress is being made. I have the wheel attachment to the landing gear finished and have both wings covered. The cream Coverite is OK to work with but is a little glossy for my taste. The big suprise is this Olive colored covering my LHS got for me. It's called World Tex. This stuff is great. The adhesive is very good, the shrink is amazing and the color and texture are perfect. The weave of the fabric is very pronouned, the olive color is exactly what I was looking for and it is very flat. I'll post some pictures soon. It's all coming together now!
Old 02-21-2005, 03:59 PM
joem423

Hi Bassman,

Who makes that World Tex stuff. I've already got the Flat OD and Cream Monocote, but was also thinking about the Cloth covering and then painting it in Latex.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:07 PM
tom johnston
My Feedback: (2)

It is one of the "Tex" coverings that are made in Great Britain. It is sold through Horizon. I use it a lot and really like it. I covered my SE5a with it. Here is a picture of my SE5a.
ORIGINAL: joem423

Hi Bassman,

Who makes that World Tex stuff. I've already got the Flat OD and Cream Monocote, but was also thinking about the Cloth covering and then painting it in Latex.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41773.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	232843  
Old 02-21-2005, 09:49 PM
bassman

I really like the "World" Tex too. I have finsihed both wings. This is the first time I have managed really good wing tips. It is much easier to work with than the plastics. Did you do anything special to the seams or the covering in general? It seems to seal down very well. How well does it hold up to glow fuels?

Here are some pictures of the Pup with the covered wings attached and of the wheel attachemnt to the landing gear.

Bassman

Name:	Ur52243.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	232869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38565.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	232870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96045.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	232871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28552.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	232872  
Old 02-21-2005, 11:40 PM
V2PLUS10

The Pup looks great. I covered mine in natural material and then painted the whole thing. Probably added a pound to the overall weight. Nice job on the wheel attachments. Take a little rubbing alcohol and it will clean that excess flux off your solder joints and the silver solder will shine...and the wire won't corrode as fast either!! Did you get the floats yet??

Randy
Old 02-22-2005, 07:47 AM
bassman

Thanks I am pretty pleased with the way it is coming out. Yes I got the floats. I am looking forward to having the plane finished so I can get them ready. Our float fly is May 21st so I have some time yet.

Tom I have another question about the Tex materials. How did you apply the makings to your SE5a. I am leaning towards painting them on or using water transfer decals.

Bassman
Old 02-22-2005, 11:11 AM
tom johnston
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: bassman

I really like the "World" Tex too. I have finsihed both wings. This is the first time I have managed really good wing tips. It is much easier to work with than the plastics. Did you do anything special to the seams or the covering in general? It seems to seal down very well. How well does it hold up to glow fuels?

I always give my covering a coat of paint. I used the antique covering and the o.d. parts were painted with Tamiya paint. That was the best color match I could get to the WW1 British o.d. Of course, that required fuel proofing. I also fuel proof the bottom part because there is always some oil residue. It makes it much easier to clean off.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:27 PM
V2PLUS10

Bassman,

You will enjoy the floats. I did not add a water rudder to mine and it works well if there is little wind. I'll add a picture to help motivate you. It is the large Proctor Antic monoplane. I think I'm the 13th or 14th owner, built in the early 80's. we are fortunate to have float flys every Thursday when the weather permits. Snoopy at the helm!!

Randy

Name:	Bz76873.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	233370  
Old 03-01-2005, 08:01 PM
joem423

Hi Bassman,

Love the way the Pup is coming. A wonderful job. Can't wait to see it completely covered. Mine is coming along. I've got the lower wing completely sanded and attatched to the fuselage, sanded the fuselage, now I have to sand the tail surfaces. Just a quick question please. I've also completed the airlerons and attatched them to the lower wing. I have 1 3/8 throw up and 1 3/8 in down on each airleron. Is that enough throw, or will I never even use that much?

Thanks again in advance,
Joe
Old 03-02-2005, 07:48 AM
bassman

I am using the plan recommendations for throws. I am waiting for two more rolls of covering to come in so I can get moving on the Pup again. In the mean time I am setting up my Pica Waco. As soon as I make new progress on the Pup I will pass it along.

Bassman

Name:	Da83571.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	236954  
Old 03-02-2005, 09:04 AM
joem423

Where did you find any mention of the Throws? I was looking for it but couldn't find any. Of course, there's info scattered all over the place.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 03-02-2005, 09:35 AM
bassman

It's on the last sheet at the bottom of the page. The sheet that shows the final assembly stuff.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:06 PM
V2PLUS10

Bassman,

Very nice looking Waco. Was that a pretty good kit? Do you compete in scale events? It's almost time to find another project...

Randy
Old 03-02-2005, 01:00 PM
bassman

I can't comment on the kit as I bought this one assembled at an auction. It has taken a lot of work to get it to a point where I am comfortable with it's set up. From what I can see it looks like a solid kit. Unfortuanly Pica is out of business and you'll only find them in auctions or private sales now. I never have entered a competion. When I finish my next projet a Top flight Corsair I might consider it.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:47 AM
joem423

Ahh, found it. Thanks. Boy, they put info everywhere they can fit it.................

Thanks again,
Joe
Old 03-07-2005, 04:23 PM
joem423

Bassman, If I may ask, What size Brass Tubing did you use for the landing gear? I'm thinking 5/32 would do it, because it would have to accomodate an internal diameter of 1/8 for the axel, right?

Thanks again,
Joe
Old 03-08-2005, 08:01 AM
bassman

I think that's what I used. I had a piece of brass on hand. It was a bit of a press fit and I had to tap it on with a small hammer. Progress is being made. My fuselage is covered, both wings are complete and all of the parts are ready to go. It's an ARF now. I'll be sending some pictures along.

I'm impressed with the strength of the fabric materials. I'm thinking that next time I will try the fabric hinges that way the plans show them. Live and learn!!!

The vertical stablizer attahment looks a little flimsy. Has anyone had to strengthen the stab attachment joint?

Bassman
Old 03-08-2005, 08:23 AM
joem423

Hi Bassman,

I've seen some friends of mine place a reinforcing block or triangle stock balsa along where the vertical stabilizer meets the horizontal stabilizer. It looked kind of awkward. I've think I have a better solution though. Since your going to use epoxy to join the vertical stabilizer, drill some 1/16 inch angled holes along the bottom of the vertical stabilizer, and then down ther horizontal stabilizer where the fin will be glued. I've done this before on a few of my ARF's and I've never lost a tail feather. It creates a kind of reinforcement, because the epoxy will fill those holes and actually act like screws. Of course, don't make too many holes, maybe 2 or 3 on each surface, but that will depend on how large the surface is. Just make those reinforcing holes in opposite angles on the same surface. That'll give it more strength.

Hope this helps,
Joe
Old 03-08-2005, 09:28 AM
V2PLUS10

Bassman,

That may be why I decided to rig the Pup with flying wires. The wires, fittings ad swages all come in a 2-56 pull-pull set from Dubro....It takes a little time but really isn't that bad.....adds a lot of strength

Randy

Name:	Lj23950.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	240207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55668.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	240208  
Old 03-08-2005, 10:29 AM
bassman

The tail bracing wires are a good idea and a nice scale enhancement to boot. That's what I'm going to do.

Bassman

Old 03-08-2005, 11:26 AM
V2PLUS10

Bassman,

It adds a little weight to the tail, but I think it is worth it. I used small brass tabs with a single small brass bolt at each attach point, top to bottom. Then the clevis clips onto the brass tab. install the rigging coupler and swage on a wire and you are on your way...everyone I know hates rigging, but I enjoy it....

Proctor-enterprises.com has beautiful brass turnbuckles if you want to really go nuts!

Randy
Old 03-14-2005, 10:32 AM
joem423

Hi Bassman,

I did my landing gear according to your method, and everything came out nice and straight. No stress putting it on afterwards whatsoever.

Joe
Old 03-16-2005, 03:09 PM
bassman

Here are the latest images of the Pup. Things are moving along well. The only question now is how much detail to add before declaring it flight ready.

I am trying to decide....... tail skid, ......tail wheel?!?!?!?

Bassman

Name:	Us54479.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	244839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58632.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	244840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34141.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	244841  
Old 03-16-2005, 03:20 PM
joem423

Gosh, the possibilities are endless. I'm putting in a cockpi, with instruments, seat, levers, etc. I've already made the Machine Guns. The Cockpit coamings and I still have to build the dummy radial engine. Your Pup looks fantastic. Can't wait to hear your flight results.

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.