Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Flair Puppeteer Trust Angles

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Flair Puppeteer Trust Angles

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 05:17 PM
fox35
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flair Puppeteer Trust Angles

I used a wire skid sewn to a piece of plywood in the shape of an isocosles (sp?) triangle. To me, a tailwheel just doesn't look right on a WWI airplane.

Besides, the ground handling is fine with the tailskid. The rudder has plenty of authority for turns on the ground.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:40 AM
bassman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The wire skid is per the plans and is what I have decided to do. In itself it is not exactly scale as the real pups had a wooden skid but it's close enough. As far a detailing I believe that if you can see it in a close fly by or if it improves some aspect of preformance then it's worth doing. I will be fabricating a simulated rotary for it but not wilth a lot of detail (for cooling) and adding the tail support wires because I think it really needs them. After that a pilot and machine gun. Then it's flight time!

Bassman
Old 03-17-2005, 08:41 AM
joem423

Hi Bassman,

What engine are you putting in the Pup?
Old 03-17-2005, 09:37 AM
V2PLUS10

Bassman,

Your Pup looks just great. You must be very pleased with the result of all that work! A few details as you mentioned will bring it to life--almost!

You may have already planned to do this, but you can cover those Williams Bros wheels with the same Solartex as you used on the airframe, and then paint them or put a stripe on them or something. It's a bit tedious but adds a little detail.

For what its worth I used 1/16th wire on my tail skid and it bent the first time out and has never recovered! Don't remember if it was piano wire or not. It is so soft now it really needs to be replaced...

Are you satisfied with your floats? May is rapidly approaching!!

Randy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58206.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	245225  
Old 03-17-2005, 09:55 AM
bassman

Joe, I have two choices for engine. I have a Magnum 52FS and a Magnum 61 FS. Both are the same size so are interchangeable. I was planning on starting with the 61.

Randy, Thanks for the compliment. It is starting to look like something. I was wonder what to do about the stark white wheels. I was thinking about getting a can of the matching paint to use on them. The covering will stick? I used some 3/32 music wire for the skid. I hope it holds up.

The floats look great. I haven't had a chance to do anything with them as I have a combat meet in April and need a Gremlin, thats next!

Have any of you checked out the airplane photos on the www.airliners.net web site. It's a great resource for just about any plane. Here's some of the photos that I have been using as go bys for my pup.

Bassman

Name:	Ig12716.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	245236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28927.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	245237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64285.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	245238  
Old 03-17-2005, 10:09 AM
V2PLUS10

Bassman,

That wire should work fine. That is what I'll use if I ever get around to replacing mine.

The wheels need to be scuffed with sandpaper, and then I applied that Balsarite stuff to the scuffed plastic. You have to cut the fabric about 1/4" oversize and tuck it between the wheel and tire, between the tucking and the adhesive they seem to hold up pretty well. You need washers at the hub so the fabric does not rub directly against any fixed part of the axle. Actually after all the trouble to cover them you can't really tell the diference from five feet away! The two color wheels look cool on takeoff cause they keep spinning for a while after the plane is airborne!

Those are great photos of the full scale. I saw a Pup in New Zealand that was being re-assembled. A suprisingly small airplane!

Randy
Old 03-17-2005, 12:58 PM
fox35
My Feedback: (9)

Bassman,

The 3/32" tail skid has held up fine for seven years now. Your Pup is looking good.

I'm glad there are still people out there who have the patience to build a plane like this. I've got a bunch of arf's, but none of them mean nearly as much to me as the Pup.

You are getting close to the really good part-- the Pup is a superb flyer! (But not in the wind!)
Old 03-17-2005, 04:32 PM
V2PLUS10

Bassman,

You guys motivated me to spiff up the old Pup a bit. Snugged the flying wires and replaced that old bent tailskid! Did not have and 3/32 but used .078 piano wire which is pretty close, and certianly better than that old skid.

I do not remember if the float instructions mention where to place the step, but my Pup will nearly sit on the front part of the floats and just rocks back when released. The step looks to be just aft of the landing gear mounting slot in the wing. There is just a bit of a positive angle between the tops of the floats and the bottom wing. This may not be the optimum setup but it works well!

Randy
Old 03-18-2005, 09:43 AM
joem423

I've got an OS 52 Surpass, would that be adequite for my Pup?
Old 03-18-2005, 10:10 AM
V2PLUS10

Joe,

I originally had an RCV 58CD four stroke on my Pup. It worked fine but suffered from overheating. I have not tried the OS 52 on the Pup but I have one on a Rascal 40 ARF that I fly on floats. That little 52 with a Graupner 12-6 prop and 15% Powermaster fuel pulls as much as the RCV 58 ever did. It ought to work fine, but lets see what others have to say.....

Randy
Old 03-18-2005, 02:47 PM
joem423

Roger that Randy
Old 03-23-2005, 03:25 PM
joem423

Hi Bassman,

Have you put that bird in the air yet. It's absolutely beautiful..................

Joe
Old 03-23-2005, 03:33 PM
bassman

Not yet. Many things left to do. Seal all the decals, set all the hardware, balance it out, and wait for the 12+ inches of snow we are going to get tonight to finally melt away. I was hoping for this weekend but that's not likely now.

Oh well, just more building time!!!
Old 03-23-2005, 03:42 PM
joem423

Roger that......I don't miss the snow myself. That's why I moved down south.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:56 AM
joem423

Well, After seeing all the modifications that have to be done for the 4 stroke (needle valve, exhaust, glow plug, carb), I've decided to go with my OS46Fx. I've got a brand new one still in the box and a Pitts muffler for it too. With just a few mods, it should fit great, and I'll have a little extra power to spare.............
Old 03-25-2005, 09:00 AM
joem423

For the love of God, why doesn't Flair build into their plans, a recess for the engine. Cutting up the firewall like I had to was nuts.....................
Old 03-25-2005, 09:31 AM
bassman

They just do things differently in England! I think I complained about the plans and some of the the structural features early in this thread. Now you know why I did the engine mounting almost first thing in the build.

Bassman.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:40 AM
joem423

LOLolol, Yup, you live and learn. I consider the Pup a great learning experience and my next Flair Kit, the Fokker D7, I will definitely check the engine fit first. But the OS46fx is look'in pretty sharo, now that I got it to fit with the Pitts. Oh yea, I had to make the pitts muffler fit as well. But the Frame looks very strong and with all the cutting I did, I can still pick the plane up from the engine mounts.......
Old 03-25-2005, 10:14 AM
joem423

http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Bri/SopPup/

I found this site for awsome detailing. It show's the Pup in the paint sceme your using. It may even be the same plane you saw.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Jock
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,
Very informative guys. I have recently started the build of my puppeteer and will be looking in from now on.
Regards,
Jock

Name:	Pn37900.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	257393  
Old 04-12-2005, 01:54 PM
joem423

From my experience, you may want to plan your engine installation now !!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Jock
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: joem423

From my experience, you may want to plan your engine installation now !!!!!!!!!
You're right. The 'tank-box' is not glued yet and I'll wait for that untill I have decided on the engine. I was thinking in the line of a OS 70 4-stroke for some extra power since we normally have high wind conditions here but am looking for an alternative that will fit inside the cowl. (I assume the OS will not?)
So for now the next steps will be building the wings. I will use two separate servo's and place them in front of the CG as I have seen you do. I will be taking my time though because for me this built is a first AND I REALLY HAVE BEEN ENJOYING IT SO FAR
Regards,
Jock

Old 04-12-2005, 02:15 PM
V2PLUS10

Jock,

I agree with Joem about the engine installation. Although, I did quite a lot of cutting after construction was completed, and strength in the firewall area really is not an issue. The model is sturdily built in that area. Remember that much of that wood is there for ease of kit manufacturing and assembly...the balsa skin adds a lot of strength also. I cut away nearly half the firewall to allow for engine clearance and cooling and it really is just as sturdy as can be!! There are many pictures in this thread. Good luck and have fun!!

Randy
Old 04-12-2005, 02:22 PM
bassman

Hi there. Here's one for ya, Figure out what you are going to do with your receiver antenna right now and build it in. Mines finished and I am having a bit of a problem deciding what to do with it. If I had built an antenna tube in early I wouldn't have a problem now!!!!!!!!!!

Bassman
Old 04-12-2005, 02:34 PM
V2PLUS10

I used to roll up my antenna and stuff it in the cockpit when not flying, and just string it out to the tail on flying days. one day I was flying along fat dumb and happy and then realized that the antenna was still rolled up in the cockpit. The model had flown steady as a rock up till then, but pilot-induced-glitching took over and I just managed a successful landing!

Install an antenna tube. Good advice!

Randy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.