Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG SE CG question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG SE CG question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 08:04 PM
FlyBlueSkies
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG SE CG question

I finishing my build of the SSE. Without any added weight, it is balancing @ 4 1/2" or 1" aft of the recommended CG.

In order to balance it correctly (@ 3 1/2" from the leading edge), I have to add a LOT of weight to the nose.

Has anyone else experienced this?

If I balance it at 4 1/2" from the leading edge, will it be a handful to handle (I would think so...)?

Any experience is appreciated!

-Jeff
Old 04-10-2005, 09:41 PM
fred123

Default RE: SIG SE CG question

I had the same problem with my SE with a OS 46AX and a Sullivan Tail Wheel.. All the guys at the field said they wouldn't fly it and mine balanced 3/4" back from the spar. Well, I took it back home, moved the motor as far forward as it would go. Added a 2 1/2 OZ spinner nut and another 2 OZ of lead in the nose. In addition, I replaced the steel tail brace wires with 50 pound fishing line. I have seen this same problem in several threads and it makes me wonder if the model needs to be revised. I too would like to hear what others say about this problem..Fred123[&:]
Old 04-10-2005, 10:47 PM
BadAtti2de

Just FYI, I fly mine at about 3/4 to 1/2 behind the spar with no adverse affects. But if you dont feel confident then move it. Also did you try moving the battery pack up under the fuel tank?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:09 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

I have been experimenting with the CG of this plane ,let me say it is not very nice to fly with the CG even a 1/4" back from recommended. Much more stable at recommended.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:23 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I beg to differ on that!! I flew mine for hundreds of flights with 2-56 tail braces. I also moved ele and rudder servos to the tail. The only thing I did to get a little more nose weight was to move the battery up to the front of the radio compartment.
Do a search on here and you will see that this plane can be flown with a pretty far aft CG.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Connery

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 46LA in mine, the battery is up under the tank and I still had to add 6oz to the nose to balance it.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

My UCD flew great with an AFT CG as well as the 27% Extra but this SSE with an AFT CG flew worse than a wingless GeeBee LOL
Lots of these guys are flying the SSE for a second plane. The recommended CG is much more stable. Moving the CG back as I did proved to be less than comfortable, that's all.
I would say balance the SSE as per instructions for the first few flights then do as I did and start eperimenting.

Cheers
Old 04-11-2005, 02:02 PM
fred123

Yes, the battery pack was up against the firewall..Fred123[&:]
Old 04-11-2005, 06:53 PM
FlyBlueSkies
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for all the comments. I'll think I'll play it safe and adjust the CG to it's recommended value (3 1/2" from the leading edge).

If it flys well, I would agree the model should be looked at. It just doesn't seem right, that the CG is so far off.

-Jeff
Old 04-11-2005, 08:56 PM
hillmanr2

I flew my se for the first time with the cg 3/4" back from the spar and it flew awsome just a hair touchy on landing but no big deal even during a dead stick