Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Venture 60 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Venture 60 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 10:11 AM
wraith0078
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Venture 60 Build

ORIGINAL: Mindwarp

That's a really nice job there! If you think it looks good now, you wait until you trial-fit it to the fuselage for the first time

A couple of asides:

1) When you cut that replacement shear web for the right wing, don't forget to make sure that you cut it so that the wood grain runs vertically (same as the others.)

2) You might want to wrap a zip-tie around the end of your craft knife (the blunt end rather than the hazardous end), pull it tight, then snip the 'tail' off of it. It'll stop your knife from accidentally rolling off of your workbench and stabbing you in the foot. Don't ask how I know this.

Good job on the build so far, and nice recovery!

Cheers,
Neil.
I was shocked to say the least. Just sat there and stared at it for awhile last night.
What really threw me for a loop was that when I stack one wing on top of the other, the ribs line up almost perfectly too.
Looks like I accidentally did something right.

1) already got it cut and ready to go in. Wood grain in the right direction. Thanks to the puppy, I had to make all of the shear webs for the left wing myself.

2) I usually just stick it in the board, but I'll grab a zip tie and do that. I've already skewered enough fingers with that thing, no need to poke holes in my foot too...
Old 06-24-2005, 02:56 PM
kerrydel

Screw-ups happen! When I started building my Top Flite P51, the very first thing I did was to glue 2 pieces together that weren't the right pieces!

Kerry
Old 06-24-2005, 03:15 PM
wraith0078

Funny you should mention that. I'm 'inheriting' a Top Flite P-51 tomorrow... [8D]
(It's my thread, I can hijack it if I want to. )
Old 06-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Mindwarp

We'll have to get it together with my FunAero S.E.5a one day and have a dogfight! In order to make it fair though you'll be able to fly no faster than a brisk walking speed
Old 06-27-2005, 03:26 PM
wraith0078

So what's the best way to go about doing the sheeting on the wings?
Old 06-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Mindwarp

I used Elmers glue for mine. I put a healthy fillet of Elmers glue around the edges of the sheet I was about to install, tack-glued the leading edge of the sheet down to the wing with a little thin CA, then slowly and carefully bent the sheeting into its final position. Once it was where it was meant to be, I wiped away the excess Elmers then used masking tape and weights to hold the piece in place until the Elmers glue set up. The nice thing about using Elmers was that it's very easy to sand flat once dry. I filled any little gaps with light-weight spackling compound then sanded the whole center section with progressively finer sandpaper (ended up at 380 grit) which gave a very smoothe and even finish to the sheeting.

Cheers,
Neil.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:08 PM
wraith0078

I swear I'll finish it if it's the last thing I do. Kinda sorta lost my job a few months ago, so the Venture got sidelined.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:37 PM
CTDave
My Feedback: (1)

I have built 2 Ventures and they are very forgiving planes even with a little extra weight so don't worry about mistakes and adding a little extra weight.The main thing as with all kits is build them straight and the rest is easy.I even have another one waiting with parts for some mods maybe I will get to it,I have a telemaster to finish and a hog bipe waiting so I might not even build the venture.Just have fun with the building and remember they get easier with each build.