Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Old balsa kit CA glue will not bond

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Old balsa kit CA glue will not bond

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 03:57 AM
justamechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old balsa kit CA glue will not bond

I have an old balsa kit that has been stored in attic for 15 years. Recently decided to finish this kit. CA glue will not bond balsa together well. The glue is good as it works on new balsa. This kit was subjected to high heat and cold temps in attic. Also, could have gotten wet but is dry now. Will I need to use some other glue on this old balsa? Thanks
Old 01-16-2006, 07:32 AM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Old balsa kit CA glue will not bond

Make sure that all the surfaces are as dust free as possible and the use of a little kicker might be needed.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:18 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much normal. There is no moisture left in the wood. I have run across this several times with old kits. You can use alpheteic resin glue(titebond) to build it.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As TLH101 says, the wood is too dry. Best is to expose the wood to a moist atmosphere for awhile but another solution is to lightly (very lightly) dust the area to be glued with baking soda--like used in the kitchen--in the areas to be glued. The baking soda technique also works will with plywood and hardwoods that you try to use CA on.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Open the box and leave it in the bathroom on top of a shelf or cabinet for a couple weeks.

The steam and moisture from taking showers and baths will put some moisture back into the wood. It's easy to do and takes no effort on your part. It's a slow process, and will work perfectly if you just leave it alone for a few weeks. Trying to mist the balsa with a spray nozzle or even dunking the balsa in water is the "I'm in a rush" way of doing it and you won't be near as happy with the results.

It took 15yrs for the wood to dry out. Do you really want to put all that moisture back into it in 5 minutes? Stick it in the bathroom.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:27 PM
tashley

I agree. Ca sets, not drys, based on the trace moisture in the material being glued. Spraying the balsa with water will not be the same as allowing the material to draw moisture slowly. That's why I suggested using kicker. Ca kicker causes the glue to set without trace moisture being in the wood.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Phlip

I'd agree with TLH101. Use Titebond or similar carpenter's glue. IMO, kicker causes the glue to get brittle, and it's difficult to sand. For the strongest airframe, I avoid kicker if at all possible.

Phil
Old 01-16-2006, 08:57 PM
tashley

Kicker does not make ca set any harder or more brittle than not using it at all. It does however compromise the inherent strength of the glue if more than what it takes to initilize the curing is used. As far as harder to sand, you should never use ca in a place where sanding will be needed if at all possible. If you use wood type glues, which I still do in certain applications, always look for the sandable type as all alpahtic wood glues are not the same.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:49 AM
Phlip

It does however compromise the inherent strength of the glue if more than what it takes to initilize the curing is used.
How would you know if you're using too much? I find it takes very little to start the reaction, but my spray bottle puts out a pretty good spritz ... maybe that's where my idea, that it makes the joints brittle, comes from.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:27 AM
tashley

If too much kicker is used you will see an immediate reaction in distortion, heat, and even smoke at times. I use a spray nozzle that puts out as fine an atomization as possible and hold it back from the work about a foot and try and spray just enough to let a couple of droplets fall on the glue joint. That's usualy all it takes to start the curing.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:25 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

you can put moisture back into the wood by putting the kit in your bathroom and take a nice hot 20 to 30 minute shower. i was told to do that on older kits.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:35 AM
justamechanic

Thanks for the suggestions.