Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dwindling kit suppliers

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dwindling kit suppliers

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:30 PM
pgitta
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dwindling kit suppliers

I'd bet money that way back when kits were just coming on the scene (when all a person could DO was build from scratch) those guys were grumbling about how lazy people were getting to have to have everything cut for them.

I agree with the stagnation theory. Abraham Lincoln built some of the kits still available today. And it's always the same old thing Piper, blah, blah, Mustang, blah, blah...

So I guess I have to change the Jack Stafford line to "discontinued" at my kit database [link]http://www.rcdbase.com[/link] huh?
Old 04-06-2007, 05:59 AM
Mode One

ORIGINAL: pgitta

I'd bet money that way back when kits were just coming on the scene (when all a person could DO was build from scratch) those guys were grumbling about how lazy people were getting to have to have everything cut for them.

pgitta,

The above statement sorta reflects the point of view: ARFs are the State-of-the-Art and the old timers need to get with the program! In reality many people who build models, love the process of building (myself included). I realize I am in a minority and this is why ARFs are so popular today, as the majority do not like or do not have the time to build! Most the times ARFs are cheaper then kits, too. Still, there is something about building that draws me to it, like a moth to flame. As I have said, I am in the process of adjusting my thinking. I have scratch built many planes and will simply focus on expanding this activity to replace buying & building kits.

The above was not meant to do anything other then explain my position. I hope I have angured no one in the process.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:36 AM
pgitta
My Feedback: (3)

The above statement sorta reflects the point of view: ARFs are the State-of-the-Art and the old timers need to get with the program!
Interesting you would interpret it that way, but actually it was only meant to illustrate that times change. It's the same as the old "when I was a kid, I couldn't do this or didn't have that" It comes up every generation.

That the current old timer's kits may have been looked on by even OLDER timers as ARFs!
Old 04-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Mode One

The difference is that kits coming on the market would have had no effect on the guys whom wanted to build from scratch, as all they needed was the stuff which was still avilable. Kits leaving the market is not only the loss of the kits themselves; but, may take with them those support items which were used by kit and scratch builders alike! Wheels, horns, hinges pushrods may become scarse. The large Display Rack of balsa sheets and sticks which was found at all hobby shops no longer exists at some.

I agree, I am a bit sensitive about this subject. The above is my opinion, which I am entitled to. If you disagree, I guess only time will tell which of us was right. (This last paragraph is not directed specifically at you pgitta).
Old 04-15-2007, 06:50 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I am finishing up my trip to the Weak Signals show in Toledo this year and I thought I would bring some news to this thread. Great Planes has announced that they are bringing back 5 of their most asked for kits. Up until I heard the words come out of Don Anderson's mouth I would have bet money that this was just a late April Fool's joke. But this is no joke at all, it's 100% true. Great Planes has announced that they are going to make another production run of the Ultra Sport 40 & 60, the Super Sportster 40 & 60, and the Tracer kit. All of the kits will be identical to their original kits with the exception of the Ultra Sport 60, and the only change in that kit is a change from an all wood cowl to an ABS cowl. We tape the "official" announcement from Don Anderson (Great Planes president) for everybody so that can know that this is indeed true.

[link=http://www.infinityok.com/review/great_planes_announcment.wmv]Great Planes New Kit Announcement[/link]

This is a breath of fresh are in this day and age of disappearing kits. It shows that at least one of the big manufacturers is listening to us kit builders, and that we still want kits. Great Planes knows that they will never sell as many kits as they did in the peak of kit building, but they also realize that there is still a market out there for kits. So all of us that are interested in any of these 3 kits needs to make sure that they pick them up to show Great Planes will know that they made a good choice. And maybe the other manufacturers will see this and return to bringing out more kits.

Ken
Old 04-15-2007, 07:10 AM
Mode One

Great news Ken!
Old 04-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the good news , Ken. I`ll take a Tracer.