Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:03 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Psssst...look to the left, that's my baby. It's sitting motorless for now, I had to borrow the motor for my Funtana 100
Old 06-21-2007, 04:34 PM
biplanemurphy

Great lookin' Skybolt Spanishflyer. Please tell us more about your elevator linkage/setup, It looks quite original/nifty.
Really like your strut modifications too.

Murph..........
Old 06-21-2007, 05:40 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Murph, Which pre-tapped hole are you talking about???
Old 06-21-2007, 07:31 PM
ChrisMH

One modification I am considering, after the fact, is cutting a hatch in the bottom forward fuse and either installing a smoke system (less likely), or moving the battery pack to that location (more likely). I hate the fact that I have 10oz of "dead" weight up front, and would like to replace it with something a bit more useful.

Then again, maybe I'll wait until it gets a bit more beat up

Chris

Old 06-21-2007, 07:38 PM
biplanemurphy

Hi Minnflyer...........So the engine I'm using is an OS 120 fs surpassIII 4-stroke with fuel pump. The muffler had a pretapped hole with a plug/screw in it. I took the pressure nipple off an old OS muffler and screwed it in. The muffler they provided must be identical to the one they provide for 120 surpass without pump. The non-pumped version would rely on the backpressure for fuel supply, so it makes no sense that it would melt standard fuel line, and tygon tubing, and the black line that came with sullivan skywriter smoke pump. Here are photos of the muffler.

Thanks.....Murph..........

P.S. other than the melting tubing, the smoke system works great. Nice thick smoke!!! Equal to or better than my friends 26cc gas engine with smoke muffler!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34042.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	708470   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45207.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	708471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85384.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	708472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69986.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	708473  
Old 06-21-2007, 07:43 PM
biplanemurphy

Hi ChrisMH........All my smoke system is in fuselage between servo tray and fuel tank. 8 oz. oil tank, battery and pump all fit well.

Good luck.......the smoke really is fun, and the club guys really love it!!!

Murph.........

P.S. maybe if you put the flight batt. and smoke system batt. where you have your ingenious lead holder, it would maybe balance the same.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:21 PM
micagreenmachin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ChrisMH

One modification I am considering, after the fact, is cutting a hatch in the bottom forward fuse and either installing a smoke system (less likely), or moving the battery pack to that location (more likely). I hate the fact that I have 10oz of "dead" weight up front, and would like to replace it with something a bit more useful.

Then again, maybe I'll wait until it gets a bit more beat up

Chris

I did that when I first built the kit. I consider it a "must do" mod. There's plenty of room for a battery pack up there. Just zip-tie it to the bottom of the fuel tank mount and save some dead weight. Believe it or not, I think I actually got a Sulivan Skywriter to fit up there. Have to work out the details, but a test fit looked promising. I think I can fit the smoke pump, receiver battery and smoke battery all in there and a 10 oz tank will go over the forward wing mount... Won't need any lead in the nose this time. Before I yanked the covering off, I had 2 oz of lead in the nose to make it balance at the aft-most CG location.

It also makes it possible to replace the fuel tank if necessary. It's still not easy, but it is doable with a hatch, I've done it several times.

I say go for it and cut the hatch, you won't be sorry....
Old 06-22-2007, 02:25 AM
ChrisMH

Well, I had a bit of insomnia this evening, so decided to go ahead and cut a hatch and move my battery forward. Ended up looking pretty good and allowed me to get my battery right up against the firewall.

And...it now balances *exactly* at the aft end of the balance range with *no* additional nose weight. Needless to say, I'm pretty pleased about shaving 10oz off of my Skybolt

Final dry weight: 10lb 6oz.

Now for a nice day...

Chris

Old 06-22-2007, 03:20 AM
spanishflyer

Hi Murph,

About the elevator linkage I can tell that is a solution that I saw in F3A planes, unfortunately I have no photos of process oy my installation. I enclose a photo of the part. It is mounted on ball bearings and it moves effortless.

I´ll try to explain, excuse my english...

I mounted that before gluing fin and elevator, but tail must be almost finished in order to take measurements from elevator base.
This kato part is very nice but must be perfect installed and alligned with elevator to get exact movements in both elevators.

After drilling in the sides of fuse, I reinforced with 2mm plywood inside the fuse, in this ply will be the part screwd, and outside is necessary to install two little suplements of ply to keep paralell the ball bearing keepers (see image).

Then is possible to install a sullivan rod direct to servo, this is the easy way
Is possible also to use a pull-pull but you must tune the part with a fiberglass panel, like large servo arms. I did this.

Is not complicated but the narrow fuse at the end makes the work a bit [:@].

Spanishflyer.

Name:	Bz79069.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	708645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36601.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	708646  
Old 06-22-2007, 08:01 AM
MinnFlyer

Murph, that may be your problem. You should tap the header, not the muffler

Name:	Ay73673.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	708719  
Old 06-22-2007, 11:14 AM
biplanemurphy

Thanks Minnflyer.......Isn't the header even hotter than the muffler? I could tap it if neccesary, but I am real hesitant, I'm fearful of making the melting worse.

Spanishflyer..........That looks great. So it's called a "Kato"? I like that system for the split elevator, and think i'll look for it for upcoming project!!

ChrisMH........So she went on a bit of a diet? Hope she flies even better now!!!

Thanks guys....Murph.........
Old 06-22-2007, 11:36 AM
biplanemurphy

Hi Minnflyer........Just to add a little more confusion....I had the smoke system on a previous model.
The engine was a .70 OS 4-stroke. Tapped the muffler even farther down the line. See the yellow line in photos.
No melting problem, But a much smaller engine. I used the same 20% fuel (could that be the problem??)
I "assume" that a four stroke engine should run about the same temp. So I am really befuddled.

Thanks for the help.....Murph.........

Name:	Sq48038.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	708807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52504.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	708808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92944.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	708809  
Old 06-22-2007, 01:10 PM
MinnFlyer

First off, you should tap the header pipe because it has less pressure than the muffler (Bernoulli's Principle)

Also, the head has cooling fins, so it is cooler than the muffler. since you're tapping the headder close to the head, the head will act as a heat sync and keep the first part of the header cool (or more accurately, it will keep it cooler than the muffler)

Now, why it worked on one engine and not the other is anybody's guess
Old 06-22-2007, 06:37 PM
surf

A little late on the pics, but here is mine, almost three years old. OS FS91

Name:	Nl29861.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	708952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10574.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	708953  
Old 06-22-2007, 07:14 PM
biplanemurphy

Minnflyer.........thanks , I will try that next few days.[8D]

Surf....Nice color scheme, How's she fly? How's the .91 preform?

Thanks guys...murph..........
Old 06-23-2007, 04:49 AM
surf

murph,
Matching the checkers was a pain!! I'll probably never do that again.

The plane is around 10lbs and the 91 hauls her around ok. This isn't a 3D machine as you know and she flies good on the 91. But landing speeds a high but does float ok.

One modification I did was to make a "springer" landing gear set up. As you know the landing gear is flimsy so I used some 'pull pull' cable on the landing gear with srings.

PS Fort Bragg is a beautiful place.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:08 AM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: ChrisMH

Well, I had a bit of insomnia this evening, so decided to go ahead and cut a hatch and move my battery forward. Ended up looking pretty good and allowed me to get my battery right up against the firewall.

And...it now balances *exactly* at the aft end of the balance range with *no* additional nose weight. Needless to say, I'm pretty pleased about shaving 10oz off of my Skybolt

Final dry weight: 10lb 6oz.

Now for a nice day...

Chris

ChrisMH do you have any pictures of what you did or can you take some? I'd like to do the same as you but I'm kinda scared to cut into the fuse since I didn't build this plane and I'm not sure where it's safe to do so.

Also can anyone tell me how involved it would be to change out the main gear for something stronger. At 12 lbs dry the main gear is mushy and from what i can tell the wood under the main gear is glued to the fuselage. I haven't stripped the covering to look so I'm not really sure but I don't want to start tearing anything apart without knowing exactly what I'm going to be getting into before I start. The guy who built this plane did a great job with the covering and the build, except for the weight this plane was nicely done, with any luck I'll have some pictures later today.

Murph, there is no smoke on this either, it's just a pig but a good looking pig though and it flies true.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:44 PM
tukkus

Here's some pics.... I'm sill waiting for my YS 120 so I can fly it so it's grounded for now. I'm most likely going to have to do something like Spanishflyer did and make some tabs for the cabane struts because mine kept popping out in flight.

Name:	Rp43923.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	709956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88825.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	709957  
Old 06-24-2007, 01:46 PM
tukkus

some more....

Name:	Jh14875.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	709958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74372.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	709959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88615.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	709960  
Old 06-24-2007, 02:27 PM
biplanemurphy

tukkus..........That clean lookin' Skybolt gives new meaning to the words "AIR MAIL"!! hehehe

Nice plane......Murph.

P.S. Check the "Skybolt build threads by Chrismh and Mods-are-me. Lots of good info and techniques!!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 02:52 PM
biplanemurphy

Tukkus........and everyone else.....Here's those links to 2 great build threads!!

ChrisMH Link [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5070795/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]ChrisMH's build thread[/link]

Mods-R-Me Link [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3561097/mpage_1/key_skybolt/tm.htm]Mods-R-Me's buiild thread[/link]

Hopethese help.........Murphy[8D]
Old 06-24-2007, 05:16 PM
ChrisMH

ORIGINAL: tukkus

ChrisMH do you have any pictures of what you did or can you take some? I'd like to do the same as you but I'm kinda scared to cut into the fuse since I didn't build this plane and I'm not sure where it's safe to do so.

Also can anyone tell me how involved it would be to change out the main gear for something stronger. At 12 lbs dry the main gear is mushy and from what i can tell the wood under the main gear is glued to the fuselage. I haven't stripped the covering to look so I'm not really sure but I don't want to start tearing anything apart without knowing exactly what I'm going to be getting into before I start. The guy who built this plane did a great job with the covering and the build, except for the weight this plane was nicely done, with any luck I'll have some pictures later today.
I've updated my build thread to show the hatch modification. The pics are included here, too.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_50...tm.htm#6028766

As far as the landing gear...if it is built according to the plans, you should be able to cut out the wood on the inside of the gear and the gear will be attached with screws right under that. I modified my gear so that they could be removed since, given their flimsiness, I was quite sure I'd have to bend them back into shape eventually (actually, I already have...they really should be beefier for an airplane this weight).

Chris

Edit: Wrong pic attached

Name:	Nl28524.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	710051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56721.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	710052  
Old 06-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a HOBBY so we don't need no steeenkin' reasons to use four stroke engines.
tukkus, just curious, what have you got against 4 strokes? Have you ever had one?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:21 PM
surf

tukkus, in regards to the wimpy LG I must agree and I have not found an aftermarket one. So with that, I developed a 'springer' LG. I have used this on different planes that I could not find a strong LG. It's simple and works pretty good. Springs can be found at Home Depot and the cable is 'pull pull' cable. You can "pre load" the tension to create stiffer gear. You can see the springs at the top of the LG.

Name:	Ca80228.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	710171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86941.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	710172  
Old 06-24-2007, 07:59 PM
ChrisMH

ORIGINAL: Deadeye

This is a HOBBY so we don't need no steeenkin' reasons to use four stroke engines.
tukkus, just curious, what have you got against 4 strokes? Have you ever had one?
I do believe Tukkus is a fan of the 4-strokes and his sig is that he uses him 'cause the likes 'em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.