Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 04:58 AM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I can’t help thinking sometimes that kits are maybe a bit overrated…

I mean so many plans that used to cost a bit many years ago are available today for free download (and tile printing them means even a paper copy can be had for free), Balsa is also available, so is it such a big deal to cut some ribs and formers? (I admit I actually enjoy doing that).

On the other hand I see so many build threads start out with a proud kit on the bench, only to become cliffhangers some time later…
Old 03-19-2024, 07:43 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

The advantage of kits is all the heavy lifting is done for and you can get right to building the aircraft. All the shaped wood parts are already die cut, CNC, or laser cut. I have built from plans, cutting every shaped part by hand, it can be daunting task and is not for everyone. You don't need to design and make a plug and/or mold to make a cowling. You don't need to make a plugs and vacuum table to make windows and windscreens. With some exceptions all the parts are there to complete the airplane. If you are new to the hobby or not particularly skilled you can get beginner/trainer kits with very complete instructions with photographs to walk you through construction.
Now lets talk about the free plans out there. Most if not all are hand drawn plans Every such plan I ever used had at least some sort of error, even the CAD plans suffer from these at times. Purchased plans are not immune to design errors. I can recall see more than one frustrated builder cussing a well known designer who has a large catalog of plans for sale. By in large there are no instructions with these plans, you are expected to have the skills in place to solve any issues and complete the project. The old VK kits from the 70s, among others, suffered from this issue. I remember building the VK DR1, instructions were a few hints on the plans with a 1 page typewritten page.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 03-19-2024 at 07:48 AM.