Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Lanier Shrike 40 / Reducing Airfoil

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Lanier Shrike 40 / Reducing Airfoil

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lanier Shrike 40 / Reducing Airfoil

I ran 22K on a 9x10 thru Thrust HP. Zounds.

208 mph and 9.5 pounds thrust. Hope the ailerons hang on!!!
Old 09-24-2012, 02:43 PM
SpeedBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

208 mph and 9.5 pounds thrust sounds really good.

I can carry the airplane from one aileron and shake it with no problem , what get me concerned at this moment are the servos I have for the ailerons HS-82MG Hitec just 47 oz. at 6V , one per each Im not sure if the servos will hang on.

What do you guys think ??
Old 09-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Mustang Fever

Shrikes don't need a lot of aileron movement- I have mine setup for less than 1/4" plus or minus, with lots of expo, and it's plenty, as Shrikes are very sensitive in roll. I'm thinking your servos might be OK. The elevator, though, with the CG where they recommend on the plans, is always trimmed up, close to 1/4", to maintain level flight. To that I add almost another 1/4" for launch, using a mix on the flap switch. With the kind of power you have, you'd want at least a 60 or 70 oz servo on the elevator, just to keep it in place at high speed.

I think maybe you might want to run a 10x6 for the first flight, and limit your rpm to around 17-18000. That would give you 87 - 100 mph, with plenty of thrust for launch. Then maybe work up to the highest rpm you can get with the 10x6 before you go for the World Shrike Speed Record.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:32 PM
SpeedBoy

ORIGINAL: Mustang Fever

The elevator, though, with the CG where they recommend on the plans, is always trimmed up, close to 1/4'', to maintain level flight.
What ???? are you seriously , trimmed up 1/4" on elevator will be a serious brake , I always look to trim my airplanes to 0° on all control surfaces and they have to fly straight and level. I'll check after maiden how the elevator trim ends , if necesary I'll change the CG until I have to 0°. Did you add some tail weight on your shrike ??

The servo I have on elevator is a Hitec 645 with 133 oz at 6V so I think would be OK , and if ailerons dont need much movement I'll stick with the HS-82 by now.

And yes I have planned to test the 10x6 APC before I go for the World Shrike Speed Record .

Old 09-25-2012, 05:54 AM
Mustang Fever

The Shrike is a "sort of" delta wing. All delta wing airplanes have to have some up elevator, or "reflex" trim to fly level. Moving the CG back will make it really treacherous, but it might fly OK if you keep the speed way up. Like I said, probably best to start out with something that's known to work, and move up from there, a little at a time.

I let my CG get about 1/4" to far to the rear a few years ago, and during what looked like a normal, power on approach it snapped and spun into the ground. Put it back where it belonged, and no problems since. Mine only tops out at 90 - 95 mph, plenty fast for me.

I shoved all my servos way to the back, and put the pack behind the CG, and it balanced at the plans point without ballast, using a Macs muffler. When I swapped the factory muffler back on, I had to put a little bit of lead in the tail, maybe 1/2 oz.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 AM
SpeedBoy

Yep , a little at time I think , first this thing have to fly I hope it has everything it needs to do it.

Thanks for the info Bob.