Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Trainer Plans - Recommendations

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Trainer Plans - Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:28 AM
Grex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trainer Plans - Recommendations

Im wanting to build my own trainer.

Ive checked out the kits available on various sites but are expensive to get shipped to Australia e.g. approx. $110-150 US to ship a kit which is only $90-100. Unfortunately, where I live everyone is selling ARF kits, no DIY kits.

Can anyone recommend a good set of plans for a trainer? or a place that sells plans?...

Thanks
G
Old 07-07-2010, 05:46 AM
Lnewqban

Default RE: Trainer Plans - Recommendations

Check plans and drawings at these sites:

http://www.profili2.com/eng/default.htm

http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...eyword=trainer

The attachment is not a plan, but good reading about one of the best trainers.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ca81051.pdf (1.99 MB, 42 views)
Old 07-07-2010, 09:31 AM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some more trainer plans:
http://www.airagestore.com/planes/plans/trainers.html
Old 07-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Knowing nothing about what you have in OZ I wonder where you will be getting your wood?? Here in the states we have a number of places that sell balsa and the different plys in bulk so building is very cheap if we buy a bulk order of different wood. I usually buy enough wood to build several planes so I have it on hand. Do they have outlets like that way down under???
Gene
Old 07-07-2010, 11:31 AM
John Hancock

Do you have real big import fees? Why is shipping so costly? Seems like UPS may be able to ship stuff there cheaper than your cuotes.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grex my man to me there is only one trainer and that the Big "T" I have the plans and I live in Kyneton . Now that only a short drive from Melbourne. The Big T was a Kit but mine is built from plans drawn from the kit parts. I have also put a photo on for you to see the shape. I have mine powered with a Merco 61 I have powered it with a OS 55 AX , and my friend flys his on a OS 46 AX It flys great The instructors love it ,its hard to get them to give you a fly when I was on the buddy box. yours Paul T
The first Photo is with the 55 the second is with the 61
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35733.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	1464793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83668.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	1464794  
Old 07-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Grex

I have no idea why it so costly.. Thats just the quotes ive been getting. Maybe its a subtle way of say they dont really want to ship OS? Import/duty is not an issue for items <$1000AUD.

Balsa wood and other rc supplies are not an issue. Plenty of the hobby stores stock the stuff, hardware stores...etc. Apparently the balsa kits dont sell that well.. I did find a place that carries some Greater Planes kits but they are all larger scale or Aero/3d and not suitable.

Quigleywins,

I like the look of the Big "T". Do Airbourne sell the plans?

Thanks everyone for you suggestions/information. So many to choose from, its hard to know which design/plans are better when you a novice... Iguess I just pick one and go for it and learn along the way..

Old 07-08-2010, 01:00 AM
Quigleywins

No it comes in a kit with a half size plan ,my friend Tony had the Kit and drew his own plan before building . i have a copy of his very good and well detailed drawings ,its big I will need to measure the wing span and get back to you on size but it flys like a dream. Yours Paul T
Old 07-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Quigleywins

Now I've been out to the shed and measured the wing span of the BIG "T" it spans 70 inches . I also have plans for the Goldberg Eaglet 50 and the Great Planes PT 20 and some where I have an ET trainer these are plans from kits that I'm yet to finish , I hope some one else has see a Big T AS you need more advice than mine take care. Yours Paul T PS what part of Melbourne are you in Direction and Distance from GPO.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:47 AM
AlphaWhisky

Hi Grex,

I`ve just now come across your post...

As a starter to this great hobby upwards of thirty years ago I asked just that same question then. At that time I took the advice of a then wise old instructor and ordered a set of plans from RCM for the Chuck Cunningham designed 'Instructor'. After all this time and an awful lot of rc model experience along the way I applaud that advice and would go down the same track again.

I looked on the RCM site listed earlier here and not really surprised to see this plan still listed - ref plan #177. Those modellers who have been around for a while will confirm that the designer, the late Chuck Cunningham, was one of the hobby`s all time great designers.

The model itself is maybe not the prettiest to look at, but is very much a timeless and extremely practical trainer design. It is a straightforward build using balsa, some plywood, and covered with plastic film, involving building techniques still commonly used today. It is a no-nonsence 4 function model - mine was powered with an OS 40FSR which I still use from time to time.

You will need a good instructor with a buddybox to learn how to fly it, but once mastered, and wrung out, it will still be easily capable of winning today`s sportsman aerobatic schedules. and that would be just the start.

I can`t recommwend this design more highly as a trainer - have a look at it......

All the best.

Alan W
Old 07-08-2010, 07:49 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sig's LT-25 is a kit but full size plans come with the kit so no doubt are available from Sig. Scratch building would not be hard though the laser cut kit is is a piece of cake to build. It is all balsa (no ply), a tail dragger so nice for grass, is very light, uses a .25 engine though it is large enough at 62 inch wing span to see well. It is very light and flies exceptionally well on the wing and is a great trainer and because it is all balsa, is easy to repair. The one draw back is that due to its lightness and generous dihedral, it does not make a good gusty or cross wind day flier.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Grex

Quigleywins,

Thanks for getting the dimensions. At 70' , there will be no problems spotting the telemaster.From the GPO im around 10-15mins away depending on traffic.

AlphaWhisky
"I can`t recommwend this design more highly as a trainer - have a look at it......"

The Instructor looks alright to me. Its sounds like ist more than up to the task of being a trainer.. I think ill grab a few plans just out of interest i.e different design elements...etc

Thanks again to everyone! Your advice is appreciated..

Old 07-08-2010, 03:18 PM
ARUP

Use plans seen on internet as guidelines to draw your own. It's very simple! Pick your engine then go from there. A 'Hershey bar' wing, a long box to bolt stuff into and onto and some tailfeathers are all that most trainers are!
Old 07-09-2010, 08:52 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Would consider Sig Kadet Senorita. A bit of a difficult build but awesome and stable flyer. Has a lot of built up bird cage structure so cheap if wood is costly.

I got plans from the parts area on the Tower Hobbies web site.

Instruction book would really help building. Maybe advertise for one on this site?

Tom
Old 07-10-2010, 12:00 AM
noveldoc

Here is an URL for the instruction manual for building Kadet Senorita

http://www.kavanrc.de/instructions/s...enioritap1.pdf

Tom
Old 07-10-2010, 12:09 AM
noveldoc

Order the plans here http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig

You may also order an instruction book if you want.

Tom
Old 07-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Johnkpap

There is a nice plan to download

Here : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8684059/tm.htm

The RCM trainer and X-pert are good options

I have a number of plans I can E-mail, Free as well as a number of classic trainer plans (on Paper I can copy and send to you at cost).

PM me for more help with free plans.

Johnkpap
Old 07-11-2010, 03:04 AM
grimmy55

Get a Kadet you cant go wrong they fly themselves and as for buying Balsa in ozzie try www.arbee.com.au they are a craft shop but there balsa is the cheapest in australia
Old 07-11-2010, 05:05 AM
Boolarra

Try Radio Control Headquarters of Werribee, they stock several trainer kits.

Airborne Plans Service has several Trainer Plans. Good Luck. Boolarra.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Grex

Ive decided to build a RCM Trainer. I had a good look at the instructions for the Senorita which are extremely helpful, translating the plans into the final product.

Thanks for everyones input and advice

Grex
Old 07-16-2010, 05:41 PM
noveldoc

Remember you can buy a book from RCM that details building this trainer.

Good choice compromising well between quality of flying and ease of building.

Have fun with both!

Tom
Old 08-01-2010, 04:33 PM
wazzbat

Interesting read Grex. I am in a similar position to you. Living in Perth and getting back into the hobby after 10 years out. I have ordered a set of plans for the Brumby Trainer from Airbourne and also 3 sets of plans from RCM - the Trainer Junior, Instructor and the PT 40. Hopefully I will get them this week so I can decide which one will be easy enough for me to build. I only ever built one plane and that was a Hustler MKIII in kit form so I don't know how I will go building from plans??? It will be interesting to see how you go. Good Luck with your build!