RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig Ryan STA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11208903-sig-ryan-sta.html)

WacoNut 09-07-2012 03:36 PM

RE: Sig Ryan STA

As usual looking really good VJ.
Makes me want to get in the basement and start cutting wood;)
Anthony

VincentJ 09-07-2012 04:33 PM

Thanks Robert and Anthony. I can't tell you how much fun this build is (even though I may complain occasionally).</p>

VincentJ 09-08-2012 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, as I said in an earlier post I was not going to cut out the wing saddle as the directions tell you to. Rather, I made a jig from some wood scraps to hold the fuse in perfect position and hopefully reduce the likelyhood of some type of wing misalignment later. I attatched the supplied 1/16" plytemplateto the side of the jig. The template is raised about 1/8" from the jig's cutout sothe cuts finish does notmatter. I have also decided not to cutout the wing saddle but using sandpaper attatched to some PVC pipe I would sand the opening to the proper depth. Wish me luck! (Note: the fuse in the photos is not in the proper position in the jig.)

VincentJ 09-08-2012 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo #2

VincentJ 09-08-2012 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo #3

acerc 09-08-2012 11:38 AM

Now that's how a scratch builder does it.
Slow and steady my man, slow and steady.

ghoffman 09-08-2012 01:58 PM

Cant wait to see this one Vinnie!

VincentJ 09-09-2012 11:19 AM

Welcome to the thread Gary!

Report on the wing saddle is good. Looks like taking the time to make the jig payed off with a clean duplicate of the template. It was a bit more work to sand instead of cutting, but I felt like I had better controll and accuracy. I would highly reccommend this method

VincentJ 09-09-2012 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo #1

VincentJ 09-09-2012 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo #2

VincentJ 09-09-2012 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the duplicate! The real Photo #2.

VincentJ 09-09-2012 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo #3

VincentJ 09-09-2012 02:16 PM

A little accidental "offense". Having completed the formers and stringers on the lower portion of the main frame it's now time to flip the main frame over and start to install the top formers and stringers. Here's were the accidental offense comes in...Since the shape ofthe completed fuse takes on an oval shape you quickly learn that you will need some way to hold the fuse upright! By using the wing saddle jig, it can now serve as a perfect fixtureto hold the fuse upright.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../lightbulb.gif( I planned that all along....Ya right.)

I have to start thinking about how I'm going to lay out the servos under the wing. If anyone has any photos of their set-up I would love to see it.

ghoffman 09-09-2012 02:23 PM

What did servos look like 40 years ago?

VincentJ 09-09-2012 02:30 PM

Not old enough to remember.(Felt good to say that) It's pretty tight in there especially planning on a pull-pull system for the rudder.

ghoffman 09-09-2012 02:35 PM

The pull pull is a good idea, these older models seem to be chronically tail heavy.

ghoffman 09-09-2012 02:46 PM

BTW, is there a way to get a preview when I get the emal notifying me that a response came in?

VincentJ 09-09-2012 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes there is, go to the top of the page and click on "Settings" you will find it there.

Cub Flyer Fresno 09-09-2012 05:14 PM

VJ,
Thanks for the invite to this thread (all be it a little late!  :eek:)  Haven't read the whole thing yet, been extremely busy at work.  Looking forward to it though!

Take care,
David

jessiej 09-10-2012 08:04 AM

I too have one of these grand old kits lurking in my shop, thus I am now lurking on this thread.[8D]

jess

VincentJ 09-10-2012 12:38 PM

Well Jess maybe now's the time to wipe the dust off the box and build it! Oh and happy lurking...

VincentJ 09-10-2012 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some shots of tonight's progress. Top formers have been glued as well as the rear top stringer. Much of this evening I have been figuring the logistics of a pull-pull system as I would like to get the servo tray made and secured as well as the tubes positioned while I have access to the rear portion of the fuse. It would be possible but much more difficult to get this done if I had glued up all of the top stringers. Because of the unique shape of the fuse and tail section a little head scratching has been done.

TCampbell 09-10-2012 07:13 PM

I'm subscribed and it looks like I did it just in time. Last night I was gluing stringers onto a fuselage and realized I was sealing myself out before I had accounted for the tail controls. I'll be very interested in seeing your pull pull set up as that's what Iintend to use as well.

Tim

VincentJ 09-11-2012 02:37 AM

Welcome aboard Tim, I hope you findthe information here helpful and useful.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

FlyerInOKC 09-12-2012 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

What did servos look like 40 years ago?
I can say from personal experience BIG!

Here is a picture of the first servos I ever used. They had an advantage when used for a pull-pull system. Before you jump to any conclusions I was 13 and I built them from an obsolete Heathkit kit with a 2 stick 3 channel radio. They are Kraft KPS-9 servos in case any of you wet behind the ears pups don't recognize them. ;)