RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig Ryan STA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11208903-sig-ryan-sta.html)

VincentJ 09-20-2012 05:27 PM

RE: Sig Ryan STA

I guess Anthony youbetter start to clean off the workbench and get started on that Waco.!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...what_smile.gif

WacoNut 09-21-2012 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Waco teardown and inspection will start this evening;)

Check out the pics below. This plane was spraying the corn field across from my house when I got home. The 5 bladed prop sounds great with the turbine mixed in. The plane is HUGE.
Later!!
Anthony

VincentJ 09-21-2012 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's great Anthony.Keep us posted on your progress.Besides it's about time you get back in your shop building or in this case rebuilding http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/50_50.gif. That must have been an exciting moment to see and hear that Air Tractor! I've never seen one, do they come around your house spraying often?

Servo trays have all been completed. In photo#1, the servo on the left is for the throttle, and the other isfor the choke. I'm glad that's done, there was a lot of head scratching going on to get things to work the way I wanted them to. Started on the top stringers as well. Looking forward to sheeting the fuse. It's starting to look like a Ryan... I know I've said it before but I am still amazed how good this balsa is after 41 years, I did find one 1/4" square stock thatwas as hard as a rock, but so far that's it. So far this plane has been a pure joy to put together.

acerc 09-21-2012 05:16 PM

That is the only thing about gas engines I don't like, the orientation of the linkage. And I alway's hook up the choke to a servo. Looking really good. Very nice and clean workmanship.

acerc 09-21-2012 05:18 PM

Anthony, if it make's you feel any better, I'd rather be rebuilding the Waco than the two house's I'm currently remodeling.

WacoNut 09-21-2012 05:53 PM

VJ,
The Airtractor was out at our R/C field a couple months ago, our runway is on the end of a 3,000ft grass strip on a farm. We use the last 600ft. There were 2 of them flying out of the field spraying the neighboring farms. I didn't have my camera on me when they were at the R/C field. They are very quiet when they are coming in for a landing and taking off. They are on you before you know they are there.

Robert I have to say I am not looking forward to refinishing the Waco. It was a labor of love and I hate doing the same subject twice. I put over 300ft of rib and reinforcement tapes on the Waco the 1st time around. I am looking forward to having it back in the fleet.

I wound up not working on it at all this evening, the wife is down with bronchitis and not feeling good at all. Maybe tomorrow as the weather is going to be bad here.

Later!!
Anthony

VincentJ 09-22-2012 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
All top stringers are now in place. On the front side of the second F-1T former, thier is a 1/4"x1/2"x3 3/4" balsa block which is inset into the stringers to provide a shelf for mounting the future flying wire metal braket.I substiuted the balsa with a piece of spruce for added strength as the flying wires on this plane will be functional and not cosmetic. I have a few minor items to complete on the fuse and then it's ready for sheeting. I will hold off on the sheeting for now and focus on building the wing. If their are any adjustments that need to be made I think it better that the sheeting not bein place. I am very excited to build the wing. I will make some modifications and improvements to the wing which will be explained as I progress.

SunDevilPilot 09-22-2012 01:03 PM

I like the use of blind-nuts for the mounting of the servos, I did that on my last build and it is a great method.  Probably overkill but super strong.<div>
</div><div>Great build!</div><div>
</div><div>SunDevilPilot</div>

VincentJ 09-22-2012 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks SDP...

One last detail for this evening. Along with strengthening the flying wire block there is another wing strut attatchment directly below. The instructed method of attatchment of the wing strut to the fuse is with a very small piece of 3/32" ply that is cut flush into the top balsa sheeting. This looks like a definite future trouble point so I added a 1/4" basswood block that has been glued to the stringers and will better support the balsa top sheeting, in addition to giving additional bracing to the above wing block.

acerc 09-22-2012 04:39 PM

Looking really good.

VincentJ 09-22-2012 05:29 PM

Thanks Robert, Can;t wait 'till you get back on your (Dan's)Cub. Always look forward to seeing your progress and creative ideas.

VincentJ 09-23-2012 02:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last detail completed on the fuse and it's time to start building the wing. Before the fuse is sheeted the tail cone piece had to be carved out of some solid balsa which will ultimately get sheeted as well.The tapered cone shape was made on the the belt sander until I got close to my marks, then final shaped by hand sanding using a sanding block. In order for the sheeting to have a seamless transition from the fuse to the tail cone the shape had to be just right. I checkedusing a straight edge from the stringer to the top of the tail cone MANY times before I got what you see in the photos. Tail cone was glued held securely using rubber bands.

Going flying today http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gifso I'll get back to the workshop later on today...

aframe2 09-23-2012 03:00 AM

VincentJ, I have the same kit that I am planning on building this winter. One question I have is, are you
going to use the abs plastic parts for some of the fairings and wheel pants, etc. Or are you going to
purchase the parts in fiberglass? Can they be purchased in fiberglass? I know fiberglass specialties has
a lot of parts for different kits, but I haven't looked into their inventory to see if they could duplicate
the parts. Thanks, Aframe2

VincentJ 09-23-2012 03:25 AM

Airframe2, Fiberglass Specialties only has the cowl and wheel pants that I am aware of. I plan on buying the cowl from them for this project. I have used them before and have been very pleased with their products. The plastic parts that are supplied with this kit are actually really nice, not like the cheap thin pieces of junk that you find in newer kits. Hope this thread makes yourbuild go a bit easier....

Cub Flyer Fresno 09-23-2012 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

The Waco teardown and inspection will start this evening;)

Check out the pics below. This plane was spraying the corn field across from my house when I got home. The 5 bladed prop sounds great with the turbine mixed in. The plane is HUGE.
Later!!
Anthony
Oh I love watching crop dusters! There used to be a lot more around when i was a kid. Great shots Anthony! Ya need to get a video camera though. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

Cub Flyer Fresno 09-23-2012 08:17 PM

Whew!  Finally caught up. 

Great job VJ!  I think I might have found my next 3+ year building project.  :)  It looks like a pretty stout fuse there, is it?  Maybe it's just that I'm still new to this stuff.

VincentJ 09-24-2012 07:48 AM

It<span style="font-size: larger"> is David, and I'm thankful for it as I am putting a DLE-20 on it. It went together very well. Wing is up next!</span>

VincentJ 09-24-2012 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well as promised, I did start on the wing this evening. I separated all of the die-cut ribs from their sheets and cleaned them up a bit by stacking them all up and sanding them as if they were one. I was lucky in that anyone who's had to deal with die-cut parts knows that it's always a gamble if the die at the time of cuttingis sharp or not. The ribs came outpretty cleanly!

Looking at the plans previously, I saw that the front main spar was 1/4" x 3/4" balsa and the rear spar 1/4" x 1/2" balsa. These were swapped out for Basswoodofthe same dimension. The front main spar was further strengthened by laminating two 1/8" x 3/4" pieces giving me the same overall dimension but with increased strength that laminating provides.

I prefer to use Tite-bond IIglue for my joinery but in this case CA lended itself well for this particular situation adhearing the ribs to the spars. I will post a few more pics later this evening.

VincentJ 09-24-2012 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bonus Coverage!

Here are some shots of the rib and spar connections. As you can see, if I had tried touse wood glue on the inside opening of each rib, by the time I slid the rib into place the glue would have been wiped clean. I tried to make the joints as slop free as I dared allowing each rib to be slid down each spar into position, this is why I used CA on these connections. The building of this wing is different from what I'm used to seeing. Very "old school", just like me!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/49_49.gif

raptureboy 09-25-2012 06:46 AM

Every thing is looking very clean and well thought out. That is an interesting way to build a wing, I'm used to pinning the spar down to the plans and then gluing the ribs on to the botom spar and then adding the top spar. Seems like a pain in the butt to slide all the ribs down one by one, but looks to be very strong this way.

VincentJ 09-25-2012 07:55 AM

Yes I thought the same thing. Changing over to basswood for the spars should really increase the strength of these wings. I don't know if this was a commont type of wing build practice on the planes of old. As far as sliding each rib down, yes it was a bit more work, I had to make sure I didn't crack any ribs as I positioned them but it was fun. Hinging the ailerons will be a bit more challenging when you see the leading and trailing edges. I plan on using Robart hinges.

smithcreek 09-25-2012 08:06 AM

ORIGINAL: raptureboy
Seems like a pain in the butt to slide all the ribs down one by one, but looks to be very strong this way.
It's for scale appearance.

VincentJ 09-25-2012 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tonight I glued the front leading edge of the wingand trailing edgeof the aileronwhich in the instruction booklet is called "the special shaped balsa part" onto the left wing. I took a photo of this "special shaped balsa part" so you can see how the leading edge of the aileron will fit into the trailing edge of the wing. Clamping the trailing edge onto the ribs wasn't complicated once I figured out that I could use the leading edge as a pivot to allow my clamps to sit parallel on the parts. I have no doubt that the right wing will go together much quicker. I did notice that I forgot to drill holes in the ribs for the servo wires to go through.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ssed_smile.gif Would have been a snap to do when I had all of the ribs clamped while I was sanding them, but who wants to do things the easy way? For those of you that are planning on building this plane be aware that one could easily put on the "special shaped balsa part" ( I just like to say it )on the wrong wing and then it would be upside down. (No, I didn't do it) Would have been a good heads-up in the manual ...

WacoNut 09-25-2012 03:58 PM

Looking Good VJ,
The wing construction is very interesting. Can't wait to see the whole pane framed up.
Later!!
Anthony

VincentJ 09-26-2012 08:47 AM

While surfing the internet I came across this , pretty interesting information with some great old pictures of the Ryan.
http://www.airminded.net/st/const/st_const1.html