Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

So ThunderbirdJunkie is getting a new (to him) truck

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

So ThunderbirdJunkie is getting a new (to him) truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 01:39 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: So ThunderbirdJunkie is getting a new (to him) truck

Correction...ThunderbirdJunkie has an AD2 and an XXXNT RTR

Anyway...Awesome info in that link, Suga...all will come in handy!

Fleabay chop shops, here comes ThunderbirdJunkie!
Old 12-14-2008, 11:58 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ThunderbirdJunkie make SavageJim laugh lots, good for SavageJim's feelings. SavagJim bids ThunderbirdJunkie much luck and fun with Aftershock just as AD2 and an XXXNT give ThunderbirdJunkie lots of fun.

You are right, this caveman talk is very entertaining.
Regardless, I too have learned just a little more by reading into this thread. I had no idea that teh Aftershock was so closely related to teh LST1.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:55 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkie didn't know 100%, but he knew it was a bit of a cheaped out LST1.

He is ok with that, because he is the king of cheap!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:43 AM
choppaholix

CHOPPAHOLIX' ALSO WANTS TO SEE IT!!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:01 PM
DawgBone

But LST2 CVD's/axles/dogbones are the stuff... LST2 arms are better, RPM's are even better(with Lunsdord TB's)... LST2's 20mm hexes are better.. So is the Dynamite engine brace... A BAC link will make you hate your Savage... LST2/LST1 2speed is better... alloy clutch shoes are better...
Old 12-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Ok guys, I cleaned up some off-topic stuff. Please keep it on topic. I checked the rules and I didn't find anything against ThunderbirdJunkie talking about himself in the third person. Please reserve any off-topic comments and keep this thread centered around ThunderbirdJunkie's original topic. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:30 PM
TheArsonist21

Arsonist feels as though the aftershock is a very good start, throw some LST2 arms and 8mm axles in there and you have an amazing machine. Arsonist also feels as though having an LST2 is a gift from the RC Monster Truck gods, and that its almost indestructable! Arsonist wishes thunderbirdjunkie the best of luck with his afterchock!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:40 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

And the durability of Aftershock/LST CVDs was never called into question...ThunderbirdJunkie just has a massive stockpile of 17mm wheels/tires, and would like to use them on the forthcoming Aftershock, so the 8mm LST axle upgrade seems like a no-brainer. Perhaps something with which you are familiar?

But LST2 CVD's/axles/dogbones are the stuff... LST2 arms are better, RPM's are even better(with Lunsdord TB's)... LST2's 20mm hexes are better.. So is the Dynamite engine brace... A BAC link will make you hate your Savage... LST2/LST1 2speed is better... alloy clutch shoes are better...
20mm hubs will find no place, because ThunderbirdJunkie owns naught for 20mm wheels. 17mm or 23mm is the only way ThunderbirdJunkie will fly. or 5x4.5", 6x5.5" and 5x5.5"...but kinda tough to fit those wheels on a Savage, Losi truck, or Revo
Dynamite engine brace? What does that do for the truck?
BAC link? Is that the stupid little center link thing that some guy makes with a Z-bend tool and people pay $20 for it? No, thank you.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:44 AM
bzinfinity

Someone linky this Dynamite Engine Brace that everyone raves about so much.

Remind me why I need it?

I don't mind spending the money, but there must be some reason everyone thinks they are a must have part.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:47 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Just kind of confused as to why the most durable truck in the world needs a "brace", but the Savage hasn't needed any durability upgrades

Just sayin'...
Old 12-17-2008, 12:49 AM
bzinfinity

I wasn't gonna say it. But, I was wondering the same thing.

But in all fairness, my Savage has a sick rollcage, so it's kinda invincible unless it hits concrete.

I found the brace - but wth do I need it?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Sugafree

When the Stock Cast one Cracks.....It'll allow them Engine to flex and it'll kill the Spur Gears Real Quick

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7837

Old 12-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Sugafree

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Just kind of confused as to why the most durable truck in the world needs a "brace", but the Savage hasn't needed any durability upgrades

Just sayin'...
You Savage Guys Crack me up......
Old 12-17-2008, 12:51 AM
bzinfinity

Fair enough - ordered from HH.

Along with some shock oil and some springs and a friggin wing kit - can I get a hell yeah for the Truggy wing?
Old 12-17-2008, 01:04 AM
CBM Racing

Thunderbirdjunkies point of view is right in line with cbm's...if ya can make it, why buy it. I would suggest lunsford turnbuckles for steering, stock I found kinda weak on lst2, so...Also dynamite engine brace, the stock one is easily broken/cracked and causes flexing that ruins spurs and is worth the small cost. Trouble is is that it (stock) usually hairline fractures and you're left wondering why gears are stripping as it is hard to see crack. CBM says he has had issues with owb in 2 speed, but has since fixed issues. CBM also say replace stock servo savers, they heap bad weak soon. He use AE savers from mgt and work much better now. If it is all stock TBJ will soon need new servos as well. Stock work, but not great. CBM not sure of break setup, but on lst2 it fade very fast, may want to go to break disk/pads from losi eigh8t to help slow big behemoth down. Keep big club handy, gets out of control, BASH IT! CBM go now drag wife to cave, ugh!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:12 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Sugafree

When the Stock Cast one Cracks.....It'll allow them Engine to flex and it'll kill the Spur Gears Real Quick

So...in all seriousness...ThunderbirdJunkie has heard up and down how the LST2 is more durable than the current generation Savage. if it requires such a thing, how is that so?

Seriously, inquiring minds want to know.

CBM, the truck is coming as an engineless/electronicless roller with no rubber, so ThunderbirdJunkie has a blank canvas
Old 12-17-2008, 01:13 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just sayin'...

1.) Nobody said the AS is the most durable truck in the world, and 2.).... Ahhh, nevermind...

EDIT : But seriously, I wouldn't say the LST2 is "more durable" than the Savage. It has its weak points - but then so does the Savage. I would say the LST2 is "as durable" as a Savage.., and the drivetrain is vastly superiour (in this case "more dubable" would apply...). Not even going into performance here - just the physical stuff.

And even if god came down and said "NO, THE SAVAGE IS %10 MORE DURABLE THAN THE LST2!!!", he would then be forced to admit "BUT THE LST2's PERFORMANCE IS %1000 BETTER THAN THE SAVAGE!!!"......

Old 12-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Sugafree

So...in all seriousness...ThunderbirdJunkie has heard up and down how the LST2 is more durable than the current generation Savage. if it requires such a thing, how is that so?

So your Savage is stock out of the box?.......(I seen your truck it's Far from Stock)

And some guys Run the LST for Gallons and Gallons with the Stock brace.......But IMO Your better off to Change it....Before it Breaks......
That way your not having to Replace Spur Gears......

And the Aftershocks a Downgraded LST1 (They made many Changes on the LST2).......I'm Sure you seen the Link I posted
Old 12-17-2008, 02:06 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

There've been no real durability upgrades, outside of the stock X SS diffs, on the Savage...everything else has been geared toward performance (shocks, shock towers, chassis plates...and...well, that's about it)

ThunderbirdJunkie was just curious, is all...since he's heard so much hype

Still uber psyched about a new truck heading in his general direction
Old 12-17-2008, 02:25 AM
choppaholix

I think that TBJ is gonna have to replace this brace anyways. Just a fact IMO
Old 12-17-2008, 02:35 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Oh well.

Small price to pay!

ThunderbirdJunkie is pretty darn sure he will have less than $300 into the truck when it gets to move under its own power...and that's good 'nuff for him

he's staring at the RX and servos right now

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

1.) Nobody said the AS is the most durable truck in the world
Correct, however, the LST2s seem to need this brace as well.

And a broken upper arm on a Savage is not as expensive to fix as a broken chassis plate and brace on an LST2/AS/Raminator/Rammunition/LST1/baja bug thing. ThunderbirdJunkie has yet to break a Savage arm.

Plus...he's upgrading to a ton of LST2 stuff before he ever fires up the truck. The 220cc tank will come in handy
Old 12-17-2008, 05:14 AM
HerrSavage

I would bet even X-gen Savages blow diffs more frequently than LST2's break chassis rails or plates.. That's just bunk - really...

If you break something on an LST2, it'll probably be an A-arm, or maybe a shock.. Set your shocks up right though and they're plenty tough.. I haven't even changed the oil in mine in over a year.. RC Raven dual-rate springs ftw!!... If not get the Losi yellow...
Old 12-18-2008, 11:31 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

stiff is not the answer, on any off road RC shock. stiff springs make trucks handle like dog poo. the Hellfire shocks on the Savage are even a bit too stiff for ThunderbirdJunkie's liking. a soft spring and lighter shock oil makes the tires follow the ground a lot better. Rough surface handling is far more important than trying to keep the truck from bottoming out on the skidplates...that IS what the skidplates do, ya know...SKID...

And ThunderbirdJunkie's Savage has blown up two diffs. They were both the plastic ones. the X SS diffs in his truck have yet to break, and they still only cost ~$25 to replace, and in current-generation Savages, they are not the weak link as they were in the X 4.1 and prior trucks.

And ThunderbirdJunkie would like to remind PatrickBW that this is not a Savage vs Losi truck thread (there are too many of those already), it is a ThunderbirdJunkie's new toy thread, so quit being a buzzkill
Old 12-18-2008, 01:53 PM
HerrSavage

Herrsavage was correcting you in being your own buzzkill is all..

When are getting that sucker?

ORIGINAL: Sugafree

CBM, the truck is coming as an engineless/electronicless roller with no rubber, so ThunderbirdJunkie has a blank canvas
Old 12-18-2008, 09:54 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DawgBone

Is this cat for real????
Yep. Dude is definitely a couple beers short of a 6pack, but we have all learned to love him.[:-]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.