Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 03:27 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Allright now everyone needs to check this one out.. [link=http://www.hangar-9.com/PTS]P-51 mustang PTS[/link]
One of the benifits of being in the hobby business i get to see the latest and greatest coming out. Hanger nine is releasing a new design of trainers called the Progressive trainer system. I myself is having a hard time concieving the idea. Granted its great you could start flying with a standard looking plane but i think this breaks all the rules.
This RTF comes pakaged with the same stuff in their alpha 40 trainer, but a warbird... They state with the droops attached to the front of the wing will prevent a tip-stall of any kind which could cause the plane to start to spin..
I would like to hear what the rest of the pilots think of this..
Old 06-23-2005, 03:40 PM
shakes268

Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Wing droops and speed brakes - it's a Nexstar in Mustang clothing hehe.

Not sure about this - and why would they put flaps on this when the 60 size doesn't get them??
Old 06-23-2005, 03:45 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

wow this would be pretty good.
I know alot of people that want to fly really want to fly warbirds.
but as you know, they are little hard to fly.

So something that is a trainer and looks like a warbird would be great.

Its good to see they are using the h9-mustang scheme so people won't feel like a newbie when they get in the air with this one.

I'm just not so sure about the low-wing design... and its also a tail dragger :/
Old 06-23-2005, 03:53 PM
carrellh

There are plenty of people on RCU, and elsewhere, who say a four star or other low wing plane makes a good primary trainer. With all the 'stuff' on it this plane probably flies a lot like a four star or similar model.

It might work for some students. I do wonder about the toughness and durability as a trainer. I suspect my first landing attempts would have ripped the gear blocks out of the wings of this thing; unless the ribs are all made of 1/8" ply and glued in with epoxy (which I doubt).

My "box with wings" has a substanial gear block with a lot of plywood supporting it.

With a good enough, and patient enough, instructor; any airplane "can" be a trainer. Based on descriptions of most low wing planes, this one probably is a 'go where you point it' model with little or no self leveling tendency.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:39 PM
rcfury

I know what everyone is saying. Once i saw it was a low wing + a tail dragger and the word trainer in the same sentance.. Something clicked in my head.. who knows. I think H9 knows what their doing, mike mcConville says nothing but good things about it.
So why does this plane have flaps and their 60 size dont? hmmmm
Old 06-23-2005, 05:33 PM
ICE_MAN

Yeah But think how many people enter this hobby cause they want to fly scale... Alot of these people will sya "Hey there's a P-51 that can be used as a TRAINER!"

But I don't know how succesful they will be..
Old 06-23-2005, 10:05 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

I think they have a winner. High wing trainers are harder to taxi in a crosswind than a low wing plane.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:23 AM
rcfury

Allright now if we can stuff a Satio 100 in it...
Old 06-24-2005, 11:48 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

e-conversion!
hacker C50-L with a 8s2p 4000 mah TP batteries will work on this one.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:53 PM
ilrcflyboy

I think it's a great move. You get your first and second airplane by only buying one. Mike even admits on the site that folks have to adapt and give into the conventional way of thinking that a trainer has to be a high winged airplane made of bricks. It may give those who accel and solo within 10-or less flights their money's worth.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:54 PM
ICE_MAN

I could not seem to find it... Anyone gotta link?
Old 06-25-2005, 12:19 AM
rcfury

ICE Man... Go here [link=http://www.hanger-9.com/PTS]P-51 PTS[/link]

Still waiting on the price for it. their alpha trainer RTF we were selling for $269.. I think it probally start around $300 considering some of the hefty features on it. Ill keep everyone up to date. Kinda wish it was an ARF though. Gives beginners a little more freedom on what they want.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:51 PM
ICE_MAN

Well I found the link yesterday I think it said $399.... But I'm not positive... i'm still a skeptic.. Even though I saw a Nexstar fly today and it was SLOOOOOW!
Old 06-25-2005, 04:13 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya gotta admit; its a pretty clever idea.

I guess we'll how well it flies, figuratively as well as literally.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:56 AM
bmustang
My Feedback: (4)

That price includes the Evolution engine, a 5 channel JR radio, trainer cord, simulator software and instrucions on a DVD in addition to the manual.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:33 PM
isaacsgs

Has anyone flown this plane? I am looking to get into this hobby, and if this trainer is for real, it would make my decision a lot easier. Would be great to not have to buy a plane I might get bored of fairly quickly.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Fastsky

IF you get bored quickly of a trainer then you havn't tried everything yet. I learned how to hang on the prop and fly inverted with an LT40. A buddy put a 60 engine on his and he flys at 10 feet over the run way doing knife edge! Looks great with that big 70 "wing!
Old 06-28-2005, 02:49 PM
ICE_MAN

Or better yet.. Learn to do rolling circles!!! It IS possible BTW
Old 06-28-2005, 04:28 PM
AbuAnas

I think all this brakes and flaps will make the new comers have more controls to fondle with and get him more confused..
Old 06-28-2005, 05:23 PM
rcfury

Thinking about the nextstar they have. I thought it was much better taking all the gadgets off made it a better flying plane.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:27 PM
adrenalnjunky
My Feedback: (18)

Abuanas:" think all this brakes and flaps will make the new comers have more controls to fondle with and get him more confused.. "

the speed brakes are pre configured and set manually on the ground - they are used through all stages of the flight, and are not hooked to servos (although the website says you can conver them.

The speed brakes are not configurable in flight as well--basically they're plates bolted to the gear struts.

The gear is fixed, not retracts, so there are no other controls to be playing with in flight.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:17 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Correct. There are no additional controls to mess with. Its all very simple, and it works very well. Its a new concept and I know there had to be a lot of skepticism, but I also believe that once folks try it, they'll be sold! It is an amazing trainer.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:21 AM
isaacsgs

have you personally flown it? If so, please make comments. They will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:27 AM
DarkWombat

What's up, just wanted to post about what I saw of this plane. You can check out the link on Horizon's website here. It is expected to retail at $400, which is really, really good considering the Easy 2 was $350 I believe (?). It comes with a JR 421 5-Channel Computer Radio, which is awesome, an Evolution Engines .40-size (which I've read is the easiest-to-start engine ever, designed for noobies with limiters in the needle valve settings and such), but the awesome thing about it is the trainer features. You slide this large, plastic shims over the wingtips which produce extra lift and minimize aileron control movement, and you put these metal panels over the fronts of the wheels to act as speed brakes, thereby slowing the plane down and making it more stable, and with the shims you get a form of self-righting. For aerobatics and more aggressive flying you just take those wing and wheel covers off and you're good to go. The plane is expected to ship in August.

What I'd like to see though is a kit version. I'm pretty set on getting a JR 631 6-Channel Computer Radio (really want that extra channel for potential sonic combat and the dual rates feature) and don't need two computer radios, plus I want to do some amount of building. I hope they release a kit version so we can buy our own radio, get an engine (although I'll still get that Evolution Engines .40, it runs at $80 with prop) and still go flying.

Well anyways, hope that helps to get you drooling. I really want to get into scale fuel-powered flight. I've been flying electrics for about 4 years and want to try something new, and I think that this plane could just be the ticket.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:49 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

Too bad it comes with the radio. I suppose this is a way to "set the hook" so that future radio purchases are JR. But for somebody that already has a Futaba, it's just extra money to spend.

Kerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.