Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Extra 330L-EP Extreme 3D RC Acrobatic Plane ARF

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Extra 330L-EP Extreme 3D RC Acrobatic Plane ARF

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:36 PM
androidx1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extra 330L-EP Extreme 3D RC Acrobatic Plane ARF

Hi guys......I've been contemplating purchasing this plane......Looks so nice, and from what I'm reading here sounds like it flies pretty good.

Im not all that savvy when it comes to Electrics.....I have only one electric plane right now...its a AIRFOILZ built up fuse Yak. The yak is fun, flies suprisingly well for a little foamy!!!

Anyway.....So this would be my second electric plane.

I was reading through this thread, and I am almost sold on getting the monster power 32 for this plane, but I just looked at the specs on this motor and it weighed in at 300gm. This seems heavy to me compared to some comparable Turnagy motors listed at Hobby King......

So now Im thinking of using the same setup as "opjose". because it sounds like his set up has a good balance point...no need to add weight, and the power seems appropriate along with nice flight times.

opjose - could you tell me specifically which motor/speed controller/ubec you are using....also, are you using standard size servose? or smaller ones...

Also opjose - thanks for all the info you have given in this thread....you have taught me alot about electrics..........

thanks!!!
Mike
Old 06-07-2010, 12:51 PM
opjose

The Monster Power .32 weights in a 210g ( 7.4oz ) which is in line with comparable Turnigy motors.

I don't see ANY problems with that, and if anything the extra weight might be perfect for someone not used to overly neutral planes.

FYI: I blew out my Turnigy ( see the prior pictures and posts in this thread ) when I forgot that I had installed a 13x8E prop on the plane.

I had another one around so I installed the same motor and stepped down to the 12x7E.

I was quite happy with the 13x8E prop's performance, and the Monster Power .32 has no problem with that size of a prop.... though cool down periods are REQUIRED between flights!

I'm using a 60-70A ESC, the pictured Turnigy motor, a 8.00 Hextronics Ubec and the 5000mAh Turnigy 14.8v 20C LiPo's... though I've also flown it with the Turnigy 3600mAh 30C 14.8v packs as well. I could not see any difference in performance with the lighter packs as the plane itself is fairly light... Most of it's weight is in the batteries. The servos are all standard size HXT 5010's ( AKA SG5010 ), but these are OVERKILL for this plane.

See my Gallery for the pictures that are not appearing in this thread....

Old 06-17-2010, 06:49 PM
androidx1

Thanks OPJOSE!!!

Just ordered the plane yesterday...seems that Nitroplanes has it on sale for 109.00. Cant beat that.....so I jumped on it.....
I will try it out with the monster power 32......

I might see if I can put in some nice torqy smaller servos as I agree...the standard size servos are prob overkill...........

Just wanted to thank you for your advice....Ive learned alot about electrics from you in the thread......

Now I have to figure out if I can take this thin off from my grass yard.....Im tired of lifting off from my hands....would really like to take off from my yard.....might try some extra large tires.....and just not use the pants......
Old 06-17-2010, 09:10 PM
opjose

With that combo and larger tires it will have NO problem lifting from grass, especially if the grass is close cut.

You may be surprised at how relatively large the plane is.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:07 PM
gamecocks

opjose. if you dont mind could you please tel me your complete power setup and exactly what servos your using? and also how does this plane dp 3d? thanks

dustin
Old 06-18-2010, 03:29 PM
androidx1

Thanks OPJOSE!!! Im looking forward to it........If it ends up being a bit to big to comfortably/safely fly in the back yard........I will take it to the field. Right now I'm throwing around a 40ish inche built up Airfoiz Yak in the back yard......didnt put any landing gear on it...so I harrier it in for landings...........and hand launch...which is not a problem becuase it just lifts from my hands at 1/2 throttle.

Very curiose to see the quality of the plasitc fusulage.....Im just hoping it is a tough non brittle plastic!!!!!

Now I have to decide if I can put some smaller than standard servos which I agree would be overkill for this size plane. Im flying the little Yak with Hitec HS65's on all surfaces......they seem to be hodling up well..........but this plane is bigger so Im guessing I need a little more torque than what the 65's can produce.......we will see..........

P.S.....anyone looking for a monster power 32....they have them at Hobby Partz for I beleive around 22.00....This is the best I could find........

Thanks again for all your help
Old 10-29-2010, 06:21 PM
kng000

I was nervous to fly this 6 lb plane since all my plane is around 2 lb before. Finally, I had maiden flight yesterday and I loved this plane. I am using 700w motor, 5s 3000mAh, 14" x 6 prop. No modification, and use recommended CG from manual. I have a little tip stall during landing but the solid landing gear absorb the shock. Good product.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:29 PM
opjose

That sounds like the normal behaviour for the Extra.

If you can shave off a bit of weight or move the C.G. slightly forward, you'll eliminante the slight wing drop.

Moving the C.G. a bit forward will make the plane land just slightly faster, but I doubt you'll notice.

I've well over 100 flights on mine now.

Suprisingly the plastic gear has held up very well.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:35 AM
dhvService

opjose
Hi, new to this type plane, want to start build, read posts, any advice is welcome...Tony
Old 11-03-2010, 09:14 AM
dditch

Android, I have an Airfoilz as well. 10x3.8 prop on an Alpha 480 1020Kv motor. Lots of vertical and slows down nicely if you keep the prop moving slowly.

My EP 330L is still going strong although I only fly it like once every couple weeks. I has a gyro on the ailerons and I fly it when it's windy.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:08 PM
dhvService

what size motor,ecs,batt works best? need to get up to speed on 3d...... thanks
Old 11-04-2010, 12:20 PM
dditch

I'll post what I'm using but I think it's a bit heavy
Monsterpower 60
Volcano 60A ESC
6S 3000mAh 25C Lipo
14x7 APC e prop

800-1000W I think is a good setup for this.
Maybe a 5S 800W setup with a monster power 46 would do. I think someone posted that earlier in thread.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:00 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: dhvService

what size motor,ecs,batt works best? need to get up to speed on 3d...... thanks
This entire thread goes into various possibile combinations.

What is "best" is subjective.

IMHO Dditch's setup is real overkill for this plane. The advantage for him will be that he could later transfer the electronics to a larger plane.

A lighter setup will help reduce wing drop at stall.

I fly mine with a .25 equivalent motor. A .32 equilvalent gives you more than enough power.

The KV rating of the motor will determine the Prop, battery and ESC you will use, or you can work from the PROP backwards. It's your choice.

Read the entire thread for more info about how to best select a motor, ESC and battery pack.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:03 AM
dhvService

Thank you for the advice, I was told a Monster 60 was good for this application, and a 6c, not sure about 60a Ecs. it is heavy all arround
46 was also mentioned. being new to 3D I wasn"t sure. Want to start build soon, and keep all posted. Again thank you all !!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:51 PM
dhvService

hello opjose, nice to see you online. again thanks for all the help, read all threads, and there is a bunch of great info. will update soon, and hope to post pics................thanks Tony.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:36 AM
dditch

Correct, My 60 size motor was SOLEY because I had 6S batteries already from my helis.
My plane is heavy and I pay for that. On the up swing, I have a gyro in the ailerons and I fly it when it's more windy. The weight actually helps in the wind and I have LOTS of power. But I can easily get myself into trouble if I'm not watching it.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:09 PM
dhvService

Thanks for the info....if time permits, please inform me about gyros?????
Not surehow they mount, work, and intergrate with plane, electronics......but definetly interested!!
Thanks Tony.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:42 PM
dditch

Thanks for the info....if time permits, please inform me about gyros?????
Not surehow they mount, work, and intergrate with plane, electronics......but definetly interested!!
Thanks Tony.
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/index.html
Old 11-16-2010, 09:22 PM
dhvService

Thanks....great info! will consider this more in detail..... we don't get a lot of wind here in Fla. and its nice to know more about options. Just ordered new Monster 46 to have on hand, and still collecting all needed electronics to make this build the best I can! Would love to try going with the Monster 60, and see what type of performance the plane exhibits.
Can always rearriange if not what works best. Please keep all and any input comming, as I mentioned, this is my intro to 3D, and I am exieted to learn all that is available...................Thankls again....Tony
Old 11-21-2010, 08:27 PM
dditch

I pulled my monster power 60. My friend needs one for his 60 sized P-40. I have a 46 so gonna try that eventually in the EP 330L.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:58 PM
dhvService

What was the reason for downsizing? Did you experience any problems with the 60 setup? I have both size monster moters, and an considering going with the 60 setup, and have the 46 as a replacement, if weight is a problem. Please advise me as to any concerns with performance incurred with the 60, or was this just a move to accomodate your buddy........Thanks Tony.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:04 PM
dditch

Friend needed a 60 and had no $$. I had the 46 and want to try it with that motor. I was not even propped for the power the 60 could deliver anyway. This is more to fiddle around with than anything else. Maybe it will lighten things up. We'll see.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:23 PM
opjose

What was the reason for downsizing? Did you experience any problems with the 60 setup? I have both size monster moters, and an considering going with the 60 setup, and have the 46 as a replacement, if weight is a problem. Please advise me as to any concerns with performance incurred with the 60, or was this just a move to accomodate your buddy........Thanks Tony.
As I mentioned previously... the .60 sized motor is merely overkill.

Even the .46 size is too large for this plane. A .32 electric motor would be perfect... though the .46 will work fine too.

The larger motor will be lugging along not working at peak efficiency, or if it does the latter, the large prop you must use will provide too much torque.

Stick with the .46.

I fly mine with a maximum of 600 watts.

1HP = 745 watts.

A .46 motor produces about 1192 watts.

With an electric .60 equivalent you'll be trying to fit at least a 14" or larger prop to even begin to take advantage of that motor... and you'll have clearance problems!

He's running his with a .60 but I bet he doesn't have it propped for full output.... so why incur the weight penalties when you don't have to?

Remember to get the output out of the .60, you'll need bigger and higher voltage packs.

Also you keep mentioning "3D".

I'd never call this a true "3D" plane... as with any Extra... it is capable of many high alpha moves, but don't expect it to harrier or harrier well.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:07 PM
dditch

My first reason was I had 6S packs and wanted to use them so picked a monster power motor that had the right KV to get the RPMS I wanted. I now have 4S packs and getting some 5S as well soon. I could have ordered a motor from Hobby King but don't like to unless I have to.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:14 PM
opjose

I'm not knocking your setup... I know you had the motor and batteries on hand.

He has both it seems and this emphasis on "3D" given a heavy motor has me a bit worried.

He may be assuming certain things which may not apply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.