Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

GO FORD

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: GO FORD

The last affordable V8 was the fox body mustang.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:02 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my favorite cars, as well. This is what we need to revisit, even just for a little bit.

ORIGINAL: proanti1

The last affordable V8 was the fox body mustang.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:10 PM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

All "muscle" cars today are streamlined wanna be hot rods. sure you can drop a hemi in a dodge and call it a charger, but why? back in the day, power was king. it wasn't all about being green and having the best fuel economy and the best options. that what car makers strive for...power, economy, luxury. we are spoiled in my opinion lol. I'll take an old dart or challenger, camaro, charger any day over the new ones.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:27 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

All ''muscle'' cars today are streamlined wanna be hot rods. sure you can drop a hemi in a dodge and call it a charger, but why? back in the day, power was king. it wasn't all about being green and having the best fuel economy and the best options. that what car makers strive for...power, economy, luxury. we are spoiled in my opinion lol. I'll take an old dart or challenger, camaro, charger any day over the new ones.
I don't like all of the latest high performance cars either. However, Back in the day power could be king because fuel was cheap. Gas was less than 0.25/gallon so it didn't much matter if the cars got 6-8mpg. And lets not sugar coat those cars too much. Most of theos "muscle cars" did not come with a big engine. most came with a straight 6 and were really mom mobiles never seeing anything more than grocery shopping. And you don't know bare bones unless you lived in that time and drove those cars. The wife and I owned and drove daily a '70 Duster. It was black and two door. It looked good. But it had a slant six, 3 speed on the floor, vinyl seats and flooring and only had a radio because I put it in. It did have a heater but that was about it. No power ANYTHING and FAR, FAR from a muscle car.
Am I spoiled today by my loaded Grand Cherokee? Damn straight. I love the power everything AND the safety equipment that NO ONE wanted back in the day. Am I glad my V8 gets almost 20mpg, yes but at nearly $4/gallon I would be happier still with better economy. Would I trade it for a '70's muscle car - I sure would. Then I'd put that car in the garage and drive it once in a while. Value aside I'd still not drive it daily. I'd get a more modern car, say A G8, or maybe a CTS-V and be perfectly happy with the luxury, economy and safety and being spoiled.