Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Any OG Members Around Anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 04:48 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any OG Members Around Anymore?

Its been about 4 years since I've trolled around on here. I just did some trolling around and I don't see any usernames that ring a bell. Still screwing with remote control cars, mostly crawlers as that's what i do for 1:1 scale fun.

Anywho, lets hear from the peeps that have been on here a decade or more!!
The following users liked this post:
cbaker65 (04-28-2022)
Old 10-07-2020, 05:33 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

i bum around here from time to time, but this place seems to get more spam than actual posts these days
Old 01-06-2021, 02:47 AM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked in for the first time in like 10 years and saw this thread....

'Sup y'all?

(ok maybe 6 years but still been a while)

Last edited by Dirty_Vinylpusher; 01-06-2021 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:34 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just checked in tonight for the first time in just over 4 years.
cbaker65 (04-28-2022)
Old 01-11-2021, 05:00 PM
suburban_hooligan

now the question is, will anyone continue to check in?
Old 01-12-2021, 12:36 AM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Eeeeh
Old 01-12-2021, 08:40 AM
BKoz559

I might still peek in once in a while. My issue was time. I joined the electrical workers union and went through their apprenticeship for the past 5 years. Everyone has work and other things in their lives that take up time; but I didn't have much free time between work and the school associated with the apprenticeship. In general I slowed down with the RC hobby; focused on work / school, focused on family, focused on trying to move the family. Then my dad passed and I was helping my mom for a few years then she eventually moved out of state to live with my brother. I just didn't have a desire either to spend time on the hobby.

Interesting to see that while I was away from the RC world I've noticed many brands have disappeared, Horizon took over Great Planes, Traxxas is doing their own distribution, the Hobby Town in Fresno looks like a ghost town when they used to be stocked up with all sorts of RC products. Parts are harder to acquire these days. I want to support my LHS as best I can but nearly half of what I'm looking for has to be ordered anyhow. There are 3 shops in my general area and they're all about a 30 minute drive from my house. I think Hobby Town in my area is a lost cause, the one in my county is a good shop but he focuses more on flying machines and less on surface vehicles but I may try to keep him afloat. I think the 3rd shop is my best bet; he's been around since I was a kid and focused on racing platforms. He was the Associated / Losi guy in town. I've been thinking about a new Losi SBR 2.0 and as long as I have to order it then I may as well give him the profit from the sale.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:29 AM
BKoz559

Stopped into the Hobby Town in my area yesterday. They are closing down Jan 31st. They've been around for a good 30+ years. I was told that a big reason was that the owners are old and don't want to maintain the business any more. It's sad but I guess that's the way things go.

There's still a great shop on the other side of town that's been around longer than Hobby Town. I checked them out too for the first time in a while and he had plenty of people in his shop and his walls are packed with inventory. I guess I need to starting buying my gear from him.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:12 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Woo see some of the old timers posting.
Ok last time I really posted was a year ago when I brought a project out of the back burner posted an update, and it got sidelined again till 3 days ago
I kinda fell out of RC's as I had no where to drive them as the city I lived in destroyed the nearby parks to build schools, and what was left of the parks were roped off for the schools...

Been contemplating on selling all but my 3 crawlers, and one Tamiya buggy as it has been YEARS since I really ran any of them.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:34 PM
suburban_hooligan

you know you can drive at the schools right? i do it all the time. obviously not while there are kids there, but they are all asphalt where im at and it's great for touring cars
Old 01-19-2021, 07:23 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Well not when they put up big locking gates around the entire parking lot, got rid of the parking lot that was originally there for the park, and all the streets around it were parking by permit only so I'd have had to walk half a mile lugging gear. Other parks nearby were gang infested, so yea... Then again onroad I found boring as most my RC's are off road so there was even less reason to go

Anyways moved far away from there since then, and now have a good chunk of land, but I dunno never got back into it as running solo is kinda boring to me.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 01-19-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:26 AM
BKoz559

I didn't drive very often for several years. I sold several RCs but I still held on to several others. I live in town and my yard is wide enough that I can have fun for a little bit with most of my cars. But to really open them up I too have to pack up some cars and gear then go down the street to either the local park or go the other direction to the dry riverbed. I've been looking for a place to move with a little bit of land around it, hopefully that happens soon.

Since I started running my cars again I've have a new-found appreciation for nitro power. I have an old TMaxx 2.5 that was rotting away in the shed. I cleaned it up and got it to run again and while TMaxx's in general are kinda clumsy, I couldn't help but laugh like a mad man while driving it. It's the only nitro vehicle I have that runs and for the moment it's one of my favorites.

I have a couple of 1/8 MTs that I alway ran on 4S. They're fun but I never tried 6S. I just ordered 2 Venom 3S packs so I'll be graduating into the big leagues I guess. But I see now that they're are 8S trucks out there. This is getting out of hand!
Old 01-19-2021, 03:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I should go take my ol tamiya DF-02 to the track, and race it PPL would prolly look at me like I was nuts, or like *** is that thing it is so old.
I still have a few RC's I never ran like a Vaterra I got dirt cheap when it was discontinued.

My nitro's... the 3 (or I should say 2 as one is missing most of its front end) I got prolly would run, but I'd have to locate fuel I went to the local hobby shop, and don't recall seeing any fuels, and from what I saw all their RC's are electric. There is a track like 20 mins away with a hobby shop I could try if I get around to it. I guess I could use the vacant lot next door to play around
Old 03-28-2021, 01:58 AM
Josh222

Haven't really touched most of my rc stuff in years, been mostly dumping all my cash in cars these days it seems.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:02 AM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Been messing with my Blackfoot an a few other RCs so I decided to pop in an see what's going on.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:50 AM
suburban_hooligan

iv been messing with a project to. attempting mock up of a project iv been thinking about for 20 years. sucks at the moment a lot of the parts i need to order are currently back ordered
Click image for larger version

Name:	f4LkKv3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2270050
Click image for larger version

Name:	AUQeNJh.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2270051
The Collector1 (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 08:06 PM
BKoz559

Originally Posted by suburban_hooligan
iv been messing with a project to. attempting mock up of a project iv been thinking about for 20 years.
I thought I must be crazy for having 20 year old projects in the back of my mind that I never get around to. I'm not the only one apparently. I've actually had a similar idea of some sort of pan car with an outrageous brushless system in it.

Lately I've been cleaning up my original collection, sold off a few that I lost interest in. Basically just trying to get everything in running condition. I need to pickup a couple more receivers and I'll probably be rolling again.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:26 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Haha! Awesome seeing some of you guys around.

Since college started I've essentially died out in the RC hobby and I'm coming back, slowly but surely. COVID's making it hard (both school and finding time to race) so I'm in a not great place, but I'm still alive and kicking, much like some of y'all still around here.

I still have the fondest memories of messing around in this off-topic forum... wish forums were bigger these days.

EDIT: I also met 378 from here on a Discord server. They are still majorly into the hobby and may now possess the only nitro-powered Mini T 2.0 in existence!
Old 04-05-2021, 05:40 PM
suburban_hooligan

pic's or i don't believe it
Old 06-11-2021, 09:48 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Shoot just spent 10 minutes of resetting passwords with old emails to post this hahaha
Yo what up. I view this site once every two years or so when Im bored to see if my childhood site has regained its former glory. Doesnt seem to. Anyways hello
Old 06-12-2021, 08:51 AM
suburban_hooligan

oh snap, what's crackin'
yeah, this place is so dead im surprised it still exists. im just waiting to click on my bookmark one day only to find out the forum is gone.
see ya in 2 years. ...maybe...
Old 04-12-2022, 10:51 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm back after about 10yrs.
Old 04-12-2022, 04:09 PM
suburban_hooligan

but like everyone else, you wont' stick around. hell not even the spam bots stick around anymore
Old 04-28-2022, 05:19 AM
cbaker65

I check in occasionally but dont say nothing!..😂😎
Old 05-07-2022, 06:02 PM
suburban_hooligan

idk, just an idea, maybe start saying something