Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

The Beast has arrived

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 03:44 PM
RCtruckRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Beast has arrived

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

With more cores your able to multitask better.
This seems to be the case. I typically have lots of stuff going on - like playing WoW and listening to MP3's at the same time. As far as pure FPS or gaming benchmark scores, I believe there is a diminishing return on quad cores. And, as stated, I think that down the road more games will take advantage of the hardware. But right now, yeah a 4core cpu is probably not justified by the cost.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:05 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think games are getting better and better at allocating processes to various cores - but yeah I don't know if theyre fully ultilized yet.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:11 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

well there are games right now that support and use quads or duals to there fullest now, such as Team Fortress 2, far cry 2, Left 4 Dead, Crysis, WOW, thats all that comes into my head atm i know there's a boat load more.

As it stands there are plenty of games to push you pc out at this time, tho crysis being the best i think (been outta the loop on this so things could have changed).

Down the road these monster pc's will have games that will make these pc's really show what the got.

Really if you want to build a budget gaming pc the e8400 which is a dual core is top of the charts for gaming, now for people who want to multi task the q6600 is a very adorable and very nice quad meant for gaming and multi tasking.

Now the EX editions are meant for out all power and gaming in mind. Here is the video that should clear up why I7 is so much superior over the other quads.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKX8bdHWgu8[/youtube]

Back on topic, she i think you got crysis already so that will def benchmark the pc right now, the new cry engine 2 which i believe is in crysis 2 aka crysis warhead which i own and can run on my pathetic pc, here is a good news to people who wish the could play crysis, cry engine 3 in coming to console so pc's like mine can play crysis.

Games to look at would be, flight sim X, the other crysis, far cry 2, fallout 3, tf2, wow but that will suck time outta your life, and damn i'm at a mind block.

4400th Post
Old 04-16-2009, 06:24 PM
sheograth

Crysis Warhead isn't Crysis 2, it's already out and is a stand alone expansion to Crysis - same but slightly modified graphics engine.

I picked up Call of Duty World At War for some multiplayer fun.

I think my girlfriend is getting jealous, between the new PC, the Baja build, I better get her some flowers tonight or something
Old 04-16-2009, 07:04 PM
SAVAGEJIM

You should get her something! But watch out! If she gets wind of that, she will start hinting at rather expensive women's apparel, like a purse that costs easily twice as much as your 5B or your new beast of a 'puter!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 PM
sheograth

It's ok, she buys herself that stuff
Old 04-17-2009, 11:26 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Been a while since I've unpacked a brand new PC, normally I'd have built it myself using the same parts but I just don't have the time right now. It sure is a beast though

Core i7 940 Quad Core 2.93ghz
12GB RAM
3 Way SLI running nVidia GTX 285s

It's like Christmas in April [&:]

Sorry for the low quality pics, I just snapped them without thinking right. The stack of video cards alone makes me feel inadequate as a man. My girlfriend may like them more than she likes me

ooooo....I hate you, oh man do I hate you. LOL just kiddin man, that is nice I wish I had money. LOL
Old 04-18-2009, 05:09 AM
sheograth

Haha don't want to start a riot.

But yeah, this thing is a blast. I've thrown every game I can at it and it handles them all. I guess it if it handles Crysis maxed out it can handle anything else, but still.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:51 AM
sheograth

Updated Beastliness.

I ordered the Samsung 120hz 22" LCD and nVidia GeForce 3D Vision kit - just for kicks and giggles.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Updated Beastliness.

I ordered the Samsung 120hz 22" LCD and nVidia GeForce 3D Vision kit - just for kicks and giggles.
Hmm seems like no one is on this morning so I will post Samsung = SWEET! Nice! 3D vision kit what the heck are you going to use that for? Sounds cool though.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:22 PM
sheograth

It's basically a Stereoscopic 3D viewer for most games and some other media. I tried it out in at a tech display and it works pretty well. I tried it with Crysis, and it really was 3D to the eye. Insanely cool for an already amazing looking game. I also tried GRID, and that was a blast. The cockpit of the car really felt like it was closer to you, and the road ahead had excellent applied depth.

The cool thing about the new Nvidia 3D suite is that unlike other 3D goggles for PC's that have been around for years, this is actually doing some different rendering to make it more realistic. The thing is that a 3D app that is running already has code that determines where an object SHOULD be perceived as being, so then the GPU can render it appropriately and have it react to gameworld physics. The 3D Vision system actually intercepts the data from DirectX and uses that to help create a true 3D depth of field for the user.

The glasses you were are basically single pixel LCDs that switch at high frequency to fool the 2 eyes into thinking the objects are 3D - which is why the monitor has to be a 120hz model, it has to render the data fast enough for the glasses to sync properly. There is no screen in the goggles, unlike some older gimmicky systems - just a solid state shutter basically.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:24 PM
HJJFFFAA

Is GRiD better on PC? I thought it drove really bad on my Xbox 360.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:41 AM
sheograth

I like the game, all versions. Some people like the physics engine some don't. It's definitely not a sim but it's more unforgiving than some arcade racers. I love the graphics and overall feel of the driving though.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Sheo hopefully you wont have a seizure
I definitely love GRID. I was one of the best but now I went back to Dirt and Race Pro.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:38 AM
sheograth

If I were prone to epilepsy i'd have known a loooong time ago lol. But yeah, anything involving rapidly changing lights and sounds and sensations isn't for those folks.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:35 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Man, I am still so jealous of you. All your sweat RCs, v8 dune buggy, this 'puter you just built. You got it great!
Old 04-19-2009, 03:46 PM
sheograth

I even had a green apple martini last night
Old 04-19-2009, 03:56 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should sell art....instead of making car parts...
Old 04-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Man, I am still so jealous of you. All your sweat RCs, v8 dune buggy, this 'puter you just built. You got it great!
Sweat rcs? LOL
Old 04-20-2009, 11:24 PM
traxxaspede

Lol Ttam Says Blarg's link for the porsche cockpit....I read the descritpion...here my favorite part

Providing an original Race Car seat design (as used in the GTR series), the fiberglass bucket race seat is extra wide for added comfort.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:15 AM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Sweat rcs? LOL
Well yea he basically does.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Eman77

I don't want to know what RC sweat looks or smells like.

...and if you still don't get it, think about it. Sweat != sweet. [8D]
Old 04-22-2009, 05:05 PM
sheograth

Well so I got the 22" 120hz monitor and 3D Vision kit today, but... the current driver release only supports single GPU or 2-way SLI, not 3-Way. The guy on the phone said it should be coming out any day now, so I'll just have to wait for 3D

The monitor is great though
Old 04-22-2009, 05:09 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

sheo you need to pick up some valve games on steam so we all can get together and play.

its about if not smaller then aim.

http://store.steampowered.com/
Old 04-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Nik.

Nice ide cable!

ORIGINAL: RCtruckRacer

I opted for the Nvidia 790i Ultra SLI MoBo & an Antec 1200 case. No overclock, why bother? I am really looking forward to getting some games that push my computer - but I bet I have to wait a couple of years.
this really made my day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.