Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

What other hobbies do you have?

Old 10-22-2019, 03:20 AM
carlgrover

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only 2 pages for a thread that was started more than 10 years ago. Durn.

I like to build furniture and ride motorcycles when I'm not crashing airplanes. I also like to collect and restore antique woodworking tools, specifically hand planes. I've got around 3-4 dozen of them. I pick them up mostly at flea markets and antique stores. I have bought a few premium planes from online retailers too. Stuffed into my huge pile of RC junk are 2 antique Harleys, 1 daily commuter Harley, and 1 Honda. The old girls are mostly for Sunday afternoon out in the County rides and I work on them more than I ride them. Fun but they take up too much space. I am at a point right now where I have 10 flyable planes ready to go whenever I want. So I'm going to stop building for a while and switch to something else. I may build a piece of furniture and I need to paint a new tourpak for one of my bikes. Next year I'll get back to RC building with a giant scale something.

Carl
Old 10-22-2019, 08:17 PM
50+AirYears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of added a new hobby since I retired and moved to SC. House maintenance.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:18 AM
lynn7525
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reading books and fishing.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:14 PM
skurtzicus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bmx
Old 02-22-2020, 12:15 PM
skurtzicus

Music
Old 02-22-2020, 12:15 PM
skurtzicus

and hopefully stocks!
Old 02-24-2020, 05:43 PM
Stikum

I like making stuff, so I have a bunch of welding equipment, hand and power tools, and an assortment of material on hand. We sold the Harleys and bought a motorhome. I've been a firearms enthusiast most of my life, with an emphasis on handguns and rimfire rifles. I enjoy improving all kinds of stuff, and often end up making parts on my lathe to replace parts that wore out or never fit right. I smile every time I grab the handle on my shower door, because it was loose most of five years - until I spent an hour or so eliminating the soft nylon spacers that were not up to the task. I improved the design and made new parts from a scrap of Delrin rod I had left over from another project. I love to tinker, and will research what's on the market extensively. Often I find the best value is to buy a solution, but sometimes the only way to get what I want is to make it myself.
I also take satisfaction from saving money. I needed a counterweight for my tractor, 6-700 lbs with attachments to hang it off the 3-point hitch. A 55 gallon plastic barrel, a drawbar, some scrap steel, and a dozen sacks of concrete mix later, and it was done. It even has a receiver hitch built/cast in, so I can attach a trailer. Cost me under $100, about a third of the cheapest commercial unit available, and will outlast me.
I also enjoy reading, both books and Internet.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:33 AM
J330
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Motorcyclist if I can keep my drivers license.
Scuba wreck, drift, night, cave, and drift diver, thinking of lobster hunting soon but RC replaced this activity.
I like to landscape my home myself, paint, wallpaper, decorate my own place, and I like to cook.
Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM
Lolimo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like editing video.