Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis
Reload this Page >

How to convince the wife, uh, I mean, how???

Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

How to convince the wife, uh, I mean, how???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 12:31 PM
RoyR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to convince the wife, uh, I mean, how???

I'm recently retired and able to do some things I wasn't able to do before, like get back full time into RC. I have flown RC many years, but took a break the last few years before I retired, for some reason.

Preparing for retirement, for about a year I ordered a Warbird kit and engine and necessary misc items to complete it.
When I retired and started building again, I decided I wanted to get another sport flyer going before I jumped on the warbird, so bought another kit, and of course I had to have a new engine for that one too.

I Have a couple of models that I flew a few years ago, but I needed to upgrade and start with new stuff, you know how it is. I mean, they are still there, I’ll fly them someday.

I had an older Super Sportster kit that I decided to build before getting into the warbird. This time I did break out my old YS 120 to put on it. I made sure my wife knew I had had that engine a few years already
Decided to see what this electric fuss was about so I bought a small electric ARF and motor,
and ESC,
and battery,
and another battery.
Oh, and a couple of foamys. (4)
And I have bought a couple of YS engines. I put one in a Goldberg Edge 540 which came apart within 2 minutes on the first flight. Goldberg was at fault, but will not make good. (and that is another story)
Searching for a replacement, and something to put my other new engine in, I have discovered a few ARFs that are just a bit too big or a bit too small for my YS 110, but they sure are neat kits, meaning I also need some more motors if I’m going to get the new airplanes.

Sounds good so far:
But seems whenever UPS shows up at the door my wife is around asking, “You bought another airplane?†“I thought you had one already.†“How much did this cost?†“Are you going to sell your other one?â€
Now, let me make myself clear. It’s not like I’m taking food off the table or anything, we can sort of afford everything I have bought. But my wife just doesn’t understand the difference between “I would LIKE to have this or that airplane, or engine,†and “Honey, I NEED this one.†You guys know what I’m talking about, don't you?
I mean, I have agreed to have only one wife, and I haven’t traded her in after 42 years. Surely she can’t expect me to live my life with only one airplane. I mean, a guy has to live. It’s against nature for a man to not have a full harem--, I mean fleet of airplanes and spare engines and parts available and cans of fuel, and glue and tools,
and a warbird kit that will be built someday.
So, why can’t I convince my wife of that?

HUH?

Tell me??

WHY??????
Old 07-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: How to convince the wife, uh, I mean, how???

Ok, lets see if we understand this. You retired. You have savings and maybe a pension and social security from when you worked. Did your wife also work and contribute financially to the marriage? If so in what proportion? Are there "NEED" things for your home, new roof, replace A/C or heating system, car needs replacing, other home maintenance expense items. Your wife has ample clothing? If all of these are in place and you have some money left over then buy all the modeling stuff you need. Now if your wife wants to go on a world cruise and blow 15 grand that is another issue. When you get back from the crusie what do you have? Apparently not very much since people I know keep repeating it and asking me "Boy, isn't your hobby expensive?" Not into cruises etc. fine. Let the wife go with a friend and you will have your modeling justified for a lot longer time than she will remember the cruise. A little old 7 day Caribbean should cover you for at least a couple of years worth of engines and kits.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:18 PM
RoyR

Thinks, but I believe you are taking my post a little too seriously.

It was a JOKE, meant to be funny. I probably took a little bit of literary license in it too.
Neither of us are hurting, she just likes to pick on me when I buy stuff.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

It might be a joke to you and I, but there are some poor souls out there that suffer under what you described. Hopefully we can give them some support if the need it.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:11 PM
full rudder

That was a great and funny story! Here's another one kinda related...

These 3 guys at the flying field talking:

guy no.1: " Coming over here to fly today cost me a fortune, had to give the wife all the
cash in my wallet so she could go shopping while I'm gone"

guy no.2: " Thats nothing man, I had to give her my credit cards!"

guy no.3: "Didn't cost me a thing, matter of fact she sent me here!!"

guy no.1 and 2: "HOW DID YOU MANAGE THAT?"

guy no.3 " Well this morning while still in bed I started to get frisky on her and she told me
AREN'T YOU GOING FLYING TODAY!"

I like this joke.....
Old 01-13-2008, 04:23 PM
FOD MAN

i just walk right past mine with whatever i just bought, i havent listened to her in year's anyway.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:15 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Surely she has some kind of "money pit" hobby, too? If so, then she shouldn't question yours, and if not, then that makes more money available for yours, and she shouldn't worry about the money being spent (as long as you don't let her know just HOW MUCH).
Old 01-14-2008, 06:14 PM
restinpieces

walk her to her closet, point at all the shoes in there, and say, " how many shoes do you need? you can only wear 2 at a time ya know. you haven't worn those blue ones in a while. maybe you should sell em
Old 01-15-2008, 02:41 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Just do what a friend of mine did: He sent his order to my house and my wife yelled at me! Works for him, might work for you!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:45 PM
trustfriend0
Banned

just work for yourself...
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 AM
10x8

ORIGINAL: restinpieces

walk her to her closet, point at all the shoes in there, and say, " how many shoes do you need? you can only wear 2 at a time ya know. you haven't worn those blue ones in a while. maybe you should sell em
The answer is very simple indeed and restinpieces has hit the nail on the head: SHOES!

Peter
Old 01-22-2008, 12:18 AM
10x8

ORIGINAL: FOD MAN

i just walk right past mine with whatever i just bought, i havent listened to her in year's anyway.
That is funny. I'd like to have a beer with you mate! You are an inspiration to all of us.

Peter
Old 07-07-2010, 01:46 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Couldn't be more true.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85610.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1464631  
Old 07-09-2010, 05:54 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

LOL,
The secret to a happy wife,,, Have so much stuff that she can't keep track,, then when ever something new comes,, you just say,, "Oh, I traded for that"
She doen't need to kow you traded Cash!!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:11 PM
BOB MOORE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you the famous Roy Rogers the Helo pilot?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:21 AM
sonsight
My Feedback: (1)

Wow, guess I have it made. After supporting the wife and paying all the bills for the past 25 years, she doesn't mind at all. In fact often she will encourage me to go to the LHS and get whatever I need! A new kit or a engine, doesn't matter. Now that she took a very nice teaching job, she pays the bills and supports me!
Jake
Old 07-11-2010, 01:21 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Every man has some bad habits, smoking is out of the question, so I asked my wife if she would rather my vice be women and wiskey or model planes? So far she prefers it be planes.